Sign in to follow this  
vonOben

Unrealistic OFF environment

Hi

Is there something to do about the unrealistic appearances of roads, rivers and laces in OFF BhaH? :blink:

I assume this is a CFS3 inheritance.

Especially the zig zaging rivers with totally unrealistic sharp corners and the unrealistic sharp cornered lakes ruin much of the beautiful look in the OFF terrain.

Is it possible to improve this?

Cheers

vonOben

We'll just have to wait for P4 and hope for improvements. I'm no developer, but I believe they are not going to change anything in P3 anymore.

If you want see some ugly terrain, take a look at RoF's winter graphics. :bad:

Hi

Is there something to do about the unrealistic appearances of roads, rivers and laces in OFF BhaH? :blink:

I assume this is a CFS3 inheritance.

Especially the zig zaging rivers with totally unrealistic sharp corners and the unrealistic sharp cornered lakes ruin much of the beautiful look in the OFF terrain.

Is it possible to improve this?

Cheers

vonOben

Yes the CFS3 Roads and Rivers are made from Vector data and as such suffer from angular effects.

Whilst then the Rivers do look a bit unrealistic when viewed from larger distances the roads are O.K as roads are man made.

But I think this does not detract that much from what is overall a very realistic environment that OFF P3 offers especially when compared to many other sims, so keep perspective.

In terms of improvement yes in P4 the rivers have been completely overhauled along with virtually everything else.

HTH

WM

Winder: In terms of improvement yes in P4 the rivers have been completely overhauled along with virtually everything else.

And again, I feel like Pavlov's dog. :ok:

I have seen many flight sims, and the terrain you created for OFF is a beautiful work of art for me.

Edited by Olham

I have seen many flight sims, and the terrain you created for OFF is a beautiful work of art for me.

I'll second that.......and it comes as no surprise at all that further improvements are already on the way.

Outstanding!!!:drinks:

Cheers,

Parky

But I think this does not detract that much from what is overall a very realistic environment that OFF P3 offers especially when compared to many other sims, so keep perspective.

In terms of improvement yes in P4 the rivers have been completely overhauled along with virtually everything else.

Hi WM

As I wrote "the beautiful look in the OFF terrain", so yes improvements to the rivers would be very nice, thanks! :good:

How about the lakes? :blink:

Cheers

vonOben

I think WM has said enough for now - we are improving everything we can if it's possible (and trying to make sure we can release before 2029) so back to top secret mode mwhahahaaa..

I'll second that.......and it comes as no surprise at all that further improvements are already on the way.

Outstanding!!!:drinks:

Cheers,

Parky

Exactly.

Yep, there are some problem visuals like that, but to me, they really aren't that noticeable and you get used to them quickly. And, you have to look at the whole picture... the combination of the living campaign, along with the historical weather, accurate time frames, the huge assortment of available planes and skins (scouts and reconnaissance), the historic videos and updates, all of it works as a whole experience. I think too many people who try OFF never get into the campaign and tend to not experience the whole effect.. it's something that no other WWI flight sim can touch... ROF keeps improving graphics and adding planes, but there is a huge gap.. I hope they can fill it and I will continue to support their efforts, but it's hard to imagine how they can catch up to OFF in all these important aspects.

The point at which sims aren't updated and improved will be a sad day but a good time for WW1 simmers at last!

The point at which sims aren't updated and improved will be a sad day but a good time for WW1 simmers at last!

Yea, it's interesting, Pol. A year ago you couldn't get into any part of ROF to do any mods, now they have opened up quite a bit ot it to the public for mods, but they are keeping a very tight control on it. The main reason, is for multiplayer compatibility, but I think it's also so they have no competition for sales of their add ons which are supporting their continual work on ROF. You can now unpack all the graphics archives and do mods, but they can only be used in game when a "mods on" has been allowed.

Also, things like skinning are sort of cookie-cutter affairs with not much talent required from a novice skinner. Basically they have all their plane skin dds files in Photoshop psd file format with layers, a "mapping" layer shows outlines and positions, a base color layer with insignia on it, a "Draw Here" layer for the "skinner" to play with, and a group layer that has all the weathering, shadow lines, lighting, etc. Almost any one can jump right in and turn out a "custom" skin and it will look good, since the original ROF team skinners did all the hard work of mapping them to the models and added the most difficult parts like the weathering, etc., (Like we did in OFF) all the stuff in the group layer. . It's a good, free way to get all the skins they are missing while also allowing non historical skins and they have them for down load grouped that way too. They are even considering a Zepplin model being made by a non team member.