Sign in to follow this  
Geary

1960 Era Royal Navy Launching and Recovering Aircraft

Great video of the RN launching and recovering aircraft during the 1960's.

I'm not familiar with the prop plane in this video. Can someone identify it, please?

Thanks,

Geary

Checkyersix,

I think you're right. I googled the Fairey Gannet and it sure looks like it. Interesting contra-rotating propellers.

Okay the Prop job was the Gannet AEW Twin Turboprop aircraft... both engines linked allows the pilot to shut one down to extend endurance... Strange looking aircraft even before they stuck the Radar underneath it... just a note the Radar used in the Gannet was first used in the Douglas Skyraider AEW was then moved into the Gannet and finally was installed into the Shackleton (Which dates back to the Mancaster bomber which was the twin engined version of the Lancaster bomber!!!)...

it would be good to have a Gannet in game .

Would be great fun to have the Ark or Eagle with a full up complement of jets... and props

I visited The fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton on sunday with my son the carrier simulation is great

I enjoyed the "ride in a wessex to the flightdeck of Ark Royal

forgot what a good looking aircraft the Supermarine Scimitar is.:good:

I visited The fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton on sunday with my son the carrier simulation is great

I enjoyed the "ride in a wessex to the flightdeck of Ark Royal

forgot what a good looking aircraft the Supermarine Scimitar is.:good:

I wouldn't say it was good looking purposeful yes and brutal but good looking not really... but thats my IMHO...

Saying that when the Ark went out last... She had an Bent wing fighter that proved that a brick could fly with enough thrust... A plane that was ugly from every angle (Not my words as I think the Bucc looks better than the A-6) a Turbo prop which defied explantation and was a master of Origami, the wing folding was a masterclass in Origami... and a Seaking which only looks good when its coming to get you out of the sea after being there for awhile in a lifevest and a one man dinghy...

One Admiral when the F-4 arrived actually asked if the plane had been delivered the right way up...

I wouldn't say it was good looking purposeful yes and brutal but good looking not really... but thats my IMHO...

Saying that when the Ark went out last... She had an Bent wing fighter that proved that a brick could fly with enough thrust... A plane that was ugly from every angle (Not my words as I think the Bucc looks better than the A-6) a Turbo prop which defied explantation and was a master of Origami, the wing folding was a masterclass in Origami... and a Seaking which only looks good when its coming to get you out of the sea after being there for awhile in a lifevest and a one man dinghy...

One Admiral when the F-4 arrived actually asked if the plane had been delivered the right way up...

It is a pity that so few Spey fitted F4's survive today most were scrapped on the MOD's orders.

It is a pity that so few Spey fitted F4's survive today most were scrapped on the MOD's orders.

True but they do live on in SF2 there is a specific setup for UK F-4's 3 downloads...

Awesome video!

I believe I saw an AEW Skyraider at the end

:good: CL

Hmmm missed that bit... but you know he's right... well spotted that man...