Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Guess where I've been today?

Great, Lou, you are the first who recognised his town.

(And maybe I have found your Chateau - if it has a veranda)

It's not necessarily easy to recognize your hometown from a picture, especially if the pic doesn't show any famous places or something. For example I certainly have never visited each and every corner of my hometown or paid any special attention to every street and alley, so it's very likely you could show me a pic and I didn't have a clue what it was about. And if one lives in a really big city, it must be even more challenging. It seems to me that most people stick to places that are closest to their home, work, friends and family, but of course there are some exceptions who like to examine every nook and cranny.

Olham, if you were in Google Streetview and headed south on County Road 9 and saw the following, then you found my family manse, albeit in the springtime with the lilacs and apple blossoms in their full glory. Right at this moment it's under a foot of snow with icicles hanging from the eaves:

Chateau_Larson_Springtime.jpg

Hasse Wind, I agree with you about the large cities, but unless Olham had posted a photo of someone's basement or closet in Lester Prairie, I probably would have know it was my town. It's rather smallish, in much the same way that World War One was a bit of a bother.

It is exactly the house I thought it was. Cheers, Lou!

Nice house, Lou.

Yeah, if the town is very very small, more like a village, then I suppose you learn to know it really well as years go by.

Next two pictures are ready. Here comes the first. In this case, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place,

cause I have lost some of my text files with the towns of pilots. I hope I'm right.

Whose town is this?

Edited by Olham

Well that's easy. You chose probably the most obvious landmark in the town, the Jätkänkynttilä bridge, built in 1989. It crosses the Kemijoki river. :cool:

In Rovaniemi, Finland.

Now that is a neat bridge, and I'm betting there's likely a bit of snow around it at the moment. HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Finland!

Isn't modern technology just wonderful and amazing? Only a few years ago this would have been nothing but science fiction. Just load a simple program and you can see the whole planet from the screen of your computer. It's almost unbelievable.

I like the game, Olham. Very ingenious. If you post anything of my hometown (see Christmas Carol thread) though, you'd better make sure the buildings look appropriately old...I haven't spent much time there since 1972. Ava, MO is where I hang my hat now. Actually five miles outside it and 1/2 mile off the main road, so even Google Street View can't find me :blink: .

Well done, Hasse Wind - I was afraid it was too difficult, so I made it a bit easier.

Which in your case obviously was too easy.

Okay, here comes the next one - Whose town is this?

Edited by Olham

Oh I find it a good game Olham, and if you posted the following I'd know exactly where you are today:

(image cut)

Ah yes, the upper midwestern US during it's other season; both invigorating and character-building, (and believe me, we have our share of characters here). :grin:

Geez, Lou, don't you know that, despite the words at the beginning that "This story is true...", the movie "Fargo" was BS? There is NO suitcase full of money buried along that fence, so give it up :rofl: .

(Sadly, real people have actually frozen to death looking for that fictional suitcase.....)

@Olham

I'm enjoying your game. Keep it up.

...hee hee...oh how I wish that stretch of highway was only in the movie BH. I drive the damnable thing about three times every winter and that picture I posted is from one of my trips last year, (still have all of them to look forward to this season yet). And still no suitcase.

If you've seen "Forrest Gump" you've seen glimpses of my home town.

...hee hee...oh how I wish that stretch of highway was only in the movie BH. I drive the damnable thing about three times every winter and that picture I posted is from one of my trips last year, (still have all of them to look forward to this season yet). And still no suitcase.

That's a bleak prospect, Lou, and I'm sorry the suitcase ain't real. Still, having driven that road and/or several others just like it a few times in winter myself, it's really not so bad. Nice and straight and flat. Plus with good snowplow and saltshaker service. Not like, say, "Fairwell Bend" on I-84 in Oregon, about 1/2way between Cabbage and Boise, Idaho. Up there, they hardly plow at all because they don't want to damage the road surface, and they don't use any salt or any other de-icer becasue they're a bunch of enviro-whacks who'd rather kill motorists than the grass in the roadside ditches. In fact, they make things worse by putting pea gravel on top of the ice to add a ball bearing effect, like they're deliberately out to kill you. There's a special place in Hell for the Oregon Highway Department.

If you've seen "Forrest Gump" you've seen glimpses of my home town.

If you've seen "Jonah Hex", you've seen mine :yikes:

post-45917-075301300 1291517134.jpg

Okay, here comes the next one - Who's town is this?

Well I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto! [great band BTW] :good:

Nice of you to drop by my home town, Olham - hope we got to share a good German beer (bier?) or two at the pub just left of centre (square 3 storey sandstone with what looks like a chimney). :drinks:

Inquiring minds want to know Taillyho, what town is it?

Bullethead, I must confess I've never had the thrill of driving through the Rockies in the winter. But I get to hear all the stories from my younger brother who is an OTR and makes runs weekly from Minneapolis to either Portland or Salt Lake City...the lucky sod. :shok:

Cameljockey, wasn't Forrest Gump filmed in a town near Charleston? S.C. is a beautiful state.

Judging by Olham's Maps it's Hobart, Tasmania.

Salamanca Place, it would seem. (Yes I have too much time on my hands! :grin: )

Good game by the way Olham. :good:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Thanks, Bullethead! Cameljockey, you won't be forgotten, Sir.

Yes, TaillyHo is right - it's Salamanca Market in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

Edited by Olham

Seems we can speed it up a bit - here are the next two "towns". While No. 6 is rather small,

I had made 6 pictures of "town" No. 7 - I was amazed that they had even small sidestreets

photogrphed, and I walked around there for 1,5 hours now.

I didn't want to make it to easy, and I also want to avoid presenting typical tourist photgraph

views, but rather places I find somehow interesting.

And I have an affinity for downtown places with very old and characterful buildings; even for

the charme of subtle decay. Well, here we go:

No. 6 - Whose Town is this? Sudbury, Suffolk, England - Dej lives here now

And No. 7 - Whose "Town" is this? Lisbon, Portugal - used to be the hometown of von Paulus

PS: No. 3 was Johannesburg - hometown of Winder, JimAttrill and - close to - Morris.

Edited by Olham

Well Olham, you found an obscure picture from Lisboa. But for someone who lived there more than 30 years, well... I'm not sure what street it is, but it's familiar. It's in the old part of the city.

12 years ago I moved 15Km away from Lisboa and I'm leaving now in Carcavelos.

Here's a picture of the Carcavelos beach.

6176275_tCJsT.jpeg

Well, No. 6 is my new home town (as in barely three months) of Sudbury, Suffolk - ancient market town and birthplace of this chap of whom you may have heard and much frequented by John Constable, whose name may also be familiar!

If this thread were running in the summer that rowing boat on the Stour would be joined by loads of canoes for the annual 'Sudbury to the Sea' event.

Any US OFFers hailing from the Boston or Salem area may well have ancestors who came from Sudbury. There is another US link for any whose parents or grandparents were members of 834th Squadron (H), 486th Bomb Group (H), 8th Air Force which was based at RAF Sudbury during WWII.

Rather small, yes, but not insignificant :grin:

Hey, you guys were quick with these!

Dej, if it is Gainsborough, the painter, then I know him from art school history - a famous

painter of portraits and landscapes.

Edited by Olham

Shall we try the next ones? Okay, here they are:

No. 8 - whose town is this? Cameljockey's (Hampton, South Carolina)

...and No. 9 - who's living here?

Nuremberg, Germany - native Croatian Creaghorn lives here.

Edited by Olham

Pic #8 is beautiful downtown Hampton, South Carolina! The clock is a landmark that's been there since 1872 when the town got it's Charter. And it still keeps perfect time!

Edited by Cameljockey