The latest patch has been released for those that own it...Don't know what it's supposed to fix but according to Luthier they finally got it fixed so it'll work full screen...Really? It didn't like to work full screen? Really? What year is this?

I love the comment of one guy at SimHQ -the conspiracy that the COD was started as brand new "next gen" engine (2006 shots and vids) but then they realised they can't make it working so back-dated it using modified Il2 one. If you think about it, seems oddly reasonable given all the clues during the years... something went very very wrong with this title at some point few years ago

I love the comment of one guy at SimHQ -the conspiracy that the COD was started as brand new "next gen" engine (2006 shots and vids) but then they realised they can't make it working so back-dated it using modified Il2 one. If you think about it, seems oddly reasonable given all the clues during the years... something went very very wrong with this title at some point few years ago

What do you mean? I'm having a blast with IL-2 1946 - and its development hasn't stopped yet either... for all the rest there's mods...

Despite all the mooing and whining and the "there will never ever be another WWII simulator, ever and it's all your fault you ungrateful bastards" posts, I agree completely. From what I can see, watch, read and hear, this is nothing more than a tarted up IL2/46 with some added bells and whistles. Same warts, same defects, many of the same limitations because it's the same freaking game engine. I can't stomach the accusatory bleating of the fanboys and the constant nitpicking from the opposite spectrum is getting almost as tiresome. We don't need a new post every day telling us the same stuff is broken over and over...I know practically nothing works right except the all important multi player BS...I hope there are enough on line players to keep it afloat, because there's precious little to hold your interest otherwise unless you like simulating cockpit shadows and practicing CEM (which may or may not work properly).

While were at it, I have seen scores of posts about "you don't remember the early days of IL2, it was just as bad". No. No it wasn't. I could install it on the machine that I owned and it actually WORKED!!! Framerates weren't great, but I could fly it and kill things. Over land even! :heat:

true to point. I can't understand the "Il2 was also soo bugged and resources hungry at release so STFU" attitude... back in late 2001 I was having a blast with the demo (remember the Aircobra Ju-88 intercept in rain?) running on 1,4 Ghz, 128 MB ram, and 32 MB GF2MX GPU... all smooth, in 800x600. And no, the demo was much less buggy than current COD.

(I blame Luthier)

Exactly right! I honestly don't remember IL2 (original) or FB/46 crashing or any other nonsense. The early AI had a tendency to fly into hills, you and each other, but I can remember MANY fights in rainstorms and snowstorms with no real issues. As I recall, most of the patches were to fix AI, flight model issues, add new planes and fix stuff that was broken on the A/C...I may be talking out my ass, but I can only remember one patch that did anything (optimizing?)to the actual game engine. Revisionist history, ain't it wonderful? :drinks:

Dave, wrt to those who say: "there will never ever be another WWII simulator, ever and it's all your fault you ungrateful bastards", I think Wings of Prey increasingly deserves attention. It is now on sale for $9, runs smoothly at very high settings on my P4, and the makers are still bringing in new improvements in direct response to players' requests, including removing the DRM for off-liners. It is also Il-2 derived, but with no attempt to conceal its origins, but some of the improvements have been dramatic, it has gorgeous graphics. WoP is still a WiP, but it is getting better all the time, with a WoPII in prospect also, so the WWII genre isn't quite dead yet, thankfully. Sorry for going a bit OT, but I can say nothing about CoD, as my PC wouldn't have a hope of running it.

Dave, wrt to those who say: "there will never ever be another WWII simulator, ever and it's all your fault you ungrateful bastards", I think Wings of Prey increasingly deserves attention. It is now on sale for $9, runs smoothly at very high settings on my P4, and the makers are still bringing in new improvements in direct response to players' requests, including removing the DRM for off-liners. It is also Il-2 derived, but with no attempt to conceal its origins, but some of the improvements have been dramatic, it has gorgeous graphics. WoP is still a WiP, but it is getting better all the time, with a WoPII in prospect also, so the WWII genre isn't quite dead yet, thankfully. Sorry for going a bit OT, but I can say nothing about CoD, as my PC wouldn't have a hope of running it.

Agree 100%. If they could take some decent guts and a campaign into that game engine they'd have gold! It has all the eye candy that CloD allegedly does and it will run on just about any computer out there...It's got to overcome the bad rap it got from the hardcore crowd because of the way it comes across as too "arcadey". To some extent that is valid, but it has been getting better but it will never be accepted by the majority of the IL2 full switch crowd because they've already condemned it.

Agree 100%. If they could take some decent guts and a campaign into that game engine they'd have gold! It has all the eye candy that CloD allegedly does and it will run on just about any computer out there...It's got to overcome the bad rap it got from the hardcore crowd because of the way it comes across as too "arcadey". To some extent that is valid, but it has been getting better but it will never be accepted by the majority of the IL2 full switch crowd because they've already condemned it.

That is their loss, isn't it? The Gajin people are very willing to listen, and have already created a challenging (too much so for me-I prefer the intermediate 'Realistic' mode) 'Simulation' mode, now facilitate user-made skins for the game, and have just released a new patch with improved FMs; the P51D is supposed to be much-improved(don't ask me, I wouldn't have a clue, but some people have tremendous knowledge of these planes). I think it augurs well for the future, and perhaps the eye-candy will attract some new people too.

It is indeed, their loss! If they use the release of CloD as an example of what not to do, they should have a winner with the WoPII release. I do like WoP, but the canned missions are starting to wear on me.

true on WOP both of you, I still wonder why they didn't 1) removed the mission timer (ugh!) and 2) make more believable campaigns... rest is gourgeous immersion wise

If there was a way to get rid of all that drivel...Wow. I hope they learn and include the mission builder in the release and tweak it up FM wise. Maybe the ability to have loads of skins like IL2. If they can get IL2's content (Less the 147,672 different variants of the same series of A/C) into that engine, look out. I would NEVER buy Crap of Dover.

I'm treating the IL-2: CoD as a 2012-2013 release :lol:

I'm treating the IL-2: CoD as a 2012-2013 release :lol:

Should be about right, at the rate it's going. :yikes:

Anybody take the plunge yet since it's out in the US now? I might talk myself into it in the next couple of weeks if I can find it at a box store. I don't want to download that much...crap...

I've got it, but I've had only mere minutes with it so far.

Flew a lone Spit over water and it flew fine. Will get more into it this weekend.