Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

WARNING! Silly question

How accurate is the SAM scene in behind enemy lines? Do the missiles really do all that or was that just hollywood doing what they do best?

Couldn't watch any more of the movie after that scene.

That should tell you something.

FC

Couldn't watch any more of the movie after that scene.

That should tell you something.

FC

Indeed it does. Thank you

Just remember most SAMs fly Mach 2+, while their plane was going subsonic, so how long could it take before the missile really reached them?

TW sims model SAMs 10x more realistically than that film did.

Just remember most SAMs fly Mach 2+, while their plane was going subsonic, so how long could it take before the missile really reached them?

TW sims model SAMs 10x more realistically than that film did.

besides, is out there any shotgun SAM? lol

This could be a Worst Airplane Scene thread. :drinks:

My worst is in, I think, the movie Fail Safe, where they send fighters (F-102 but I may be wrong) to help somebody (don't know, don't care) and a controller orders the fighters to go to afterburner. They cut to the fighters launching rockets. That was supposed to be going into afterburner. Like FC, I stopped watching the movie at that point. I had extreme difficulty getting that far.

Obviously the scriptwriter knew more than the director and editor!

Let's not forget the otherwise excellent Hunt for Red October's infamous "F-14 turns into Korean War footage of crashing jet" scene.

Most SAM's,ARM's,IRM's,SAHM's and AHM's are proximity fused and

have a "shotgun" type of warhead.

When the lock-on is broken,they usually explode,in hopes of a kill.

They don't have to impact,just get close.

They move so fast,it just seems like impact.

Most are programmed to cut across the line of flight of the aircraft to achieve a hit.

Hence:Chaff and Flares (decoys) are needed on most military aircraft.

If a Mach 2+ missile could turn as fast as the ones in the movie,there would be a lot less aviators walking around out there.

Most SAM's,ARM's,IRM's,SAHM's and AHM's are proximity fused and

have a "shotgun" type of warhead.

When the lock-on is broken,they usually explode,in hopes of a kill.

They don't have to impact,just get close.

They move so fast,it just seems like impact.

Most are programmed to cut across the line of flight of the aircraft to achieve a hit.

Hence:Chaff and Flares (decoys) are needed on most military aircraft.

If a Mach 2+ missile could turn as fast as the ones in the movie,there would be a lot less aviators walking around out there.

Thank you.

I also remember hearing something about the Vietnam F-4 pilots that would dive toward the ground and then at the last second pull up and the persuing SAM would strike the ground. Did that really happen or is someone pulling my leg?

This could be a Worst Airplane Scene thread. :drinks:

My worst is in, I think, the movie Fail Safe, where they send fighters (F-102 but I may be wrong) to help somebody (don't know, don't care) and a controller orders the fighters to go to afterburner. They cut to the fighters launching rockets. That was supposed to be going into afterburner. Like FC, I stopped watching the movie at that point. I had extreme difficulty getting that far.

Hmm..good idea. I was watching some movie called Stealth or something a long those lines(no it was the movie with Jami Fox it was some B rate movie or something....which was my first mistake) check this out though they actor is flying the F-117 Nighthawk, and wearing a space suit while in "Stealth mode". US Figthers are tyring to find this guy because they believe the good guy is stealing the Nighthawk..well he is because he has to because the bad guys have his kid or something hostage.. anyway dude uses a pager or a cellphone or something to give away his position to the US fighters so they can track him on radar..oh did I mention that he was also using somekind of e-mail to "quietly" communicate with a friend on the ground?

Thank you.

I also remember hearing something about the Vietnam F-4 pilots that would dive toward the ground and then at the last second pull up and the persuing SAM would strike the ground. Did that really happen or is someone pulling my leg?

IIRC, the "accepted" maneuver was to keep the SAM in sight, just off the nose, and then perform a well-timed barrel roll around its flight path just seconds before impact.

Thank you.

Let me illustrate.

SA-2-NVAF-F-105D-090605-F-1234P-018-S.jpg

You don't want to be where the cloud is.

Hmm..good idea. I was watching some movie called Stealth or something a long those lines(no it was the movie with Jami Fox it was some B rate movie or something....which was my first mistake) check this out though they actor is flying the F-117 Nighthawk, and wearing a space suit while in "Stealth mode". US Figthers are tyring to find this guy because they believe the good guy is stealing the Nighthawk..well he is because he has to because the bad guys have his kid or something hostage.. anyway dude uses a pager or a cellphone or something to give away his position to the US fighters so they can track him on radar..oh did I mention that he was also using somekind of e-mail to "quietly" communicate with a friend on the ground?

Is that the one with Jürgen Prochnow where his band of terrorists hijack a USAF C-5 in midair (They use a fake KC-135 and somehow enter through the refuelling boom) which is carrying a couple of F-117's equipped with some hi-tech VR system, where towards the end they just drop the 117's out the back of the C-5, unfold the wings in midair and then have a dogfight, with the hero shooting down Prochnow with an IR Maverick?

"Interceptor" I think it was called.

Thank you.

That is true for SA-2 set to half-lead guidance. See this page from the Sam Simulator manual.

BTW The Sam Simulator is highly recommended, it's free and very detailed. See http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

post-2896-099840000 1297527510.jpg

Sky:

Diving toward the ground might have worked once or twice.

The preferred method was the way Fubar said.

Usually if you could see the SAM,you could avoid it.

You could also,pop chaff and flares at the right moment and then break into the SAM forcing an overshoot.

The SAM you didn't see was the one that would get you.

I flew EA-6a's(ECM airplane). Most CAG's(Strike leaders) would not go "feet dry" until we were on station and jamming.

• Like 2

Thanks for giving me the 411 on the SAM's everyone. I'll check out the recommended site as well. Also this thread goes to show that one can always learn something new everyday.