Sign in to follow this  
Lewie

Why the Heck?!

Lol calm down Lewie. On the normal difficulty the roster is DELIBERATELY hidden. Make a note of your wingman at least you should know who you trust your life to at least ;)

Or if you would like less sim and more auto /computerised fun, simply use one of the options in workshops for claims, that is what they are for.

Lol calm down Lewie. On the normal difficulty the roster is DELIBERATELY hidden. Make a note of your wingman at least you should know who you trust your life to at least ;)

Or if you would like less sim and more auto /computerised fun, simply use one of the options in workshops for claims, that is what they are for.

That's all fine and well, but are the realism settings the ones that change the claims from difficult to easy? It's not clearly marked as such..

And trust my life to my wingman? I punched "R" repeatedly when engaging my first opponent and my wingman just kept wandering aimlessly about a half mile away from me, never did come in to help.

Edited by Lewie

That's all fine and well, but are the realism settings the ones that change the claims from difficult to easy? It's not clearly marked as such..

And trust my life to my wingman? I punched "R" repeatedly when engaging my first opponent and my wingman just kept wandering aimlessly about a half mile away from me, never did come in to help.

Under "realism" in workshops there are 3 settings.

Normal - claims - promotions

Easy - claims - promotions

Easiest - bypass claims

Set to easiest, you will not have to fill out a claims form

And I believe its A to order wingmen to attack?

And I believe its A to order wingmen to attack?

'A' for Attack; 'H' for Help ME!

They're pretty good about helping you, I've had many a Boche shot off my tail by my wingmen. The sad part is when another Boche latches onto your wingman's tail at the same time and he goes down trying to help you. Once we had a genuine five-wayer going on, with me on the tail of a Boche chasing my wingman, another Boche on my tail, and another 'Georgie' Hoidge from 56 Sqdrn on that Boche's tail.

On the claims for it says to use names only and no ranks.

I have never put any ranks in the claim form. Does that form become invalid or does it create a higher percentage of rejections??

Just curious on my part. I always write down the names in my flight, make note of approx. time of aircraft destroyed and approx. distance from nearest airfield for location of downed aircraft. I have about a 85- 90 % acceptance of claims.

Whilst it is dead easy to have the duty roster avialable to see whilst you fill in your claim form...

The idea of the claim form, is as many have alluded to here ; so that you get immersed in:

1) What you are doing

2) Who you are flying with - esp your wingman...

3) What you did on the mission and what type of craft you think you shot down....

Or you can select alternative claims procedures in the workshops settings..

If I start allowing access to rosters etc hell I can even tell you what craft you shot down and how many but then why have a claims form...hence the settings in workshops

HTH

WM

And trust my life to my wingman? I punched "R" repeatedly when engaging my first opponent and my wingman

just kept wandering aimlessly about a half mile away from me, never did come in to help.

Lewie, this simulation is about WW1 - there is no radio communication.

You cannot communicate with a wingman, who is half a mile away.

All they could do, was to make signs with their hands or arms. (I will let the flares out here now).

So you need to be so close to a wingman, that he will recognise, what you assign.

No joke - OFF simulates that.

When their "Labels" would turn from blue to white, they will be out of vision for such signs - and not react to them.

Try it out. As long as they are near enough, they will follow these signs:

A = Attack

H = Help me

R = Return/Reunite

S = Split

You can even advise them to attack a specific target.

With TAC on, you mark a target. Then you click A twice, and two wingmen shall go to attack that target.

Click A three times, and three of them will go.

I have even marked one target and sent the first two; and then marked another target, and sent the next two.

All this works fine.

You only need to accept and understand, that we are in WW1 - with all it's limitations compared to WW2.

Edited by Olham

You're probably not squinting enough Dej 

Right you are, Lou. I think there's a setting in Workshops that allows for "Easy Squint". Use that or you're faced with having to flex somewhere in the vicinity of 117 facial muscles to pull it off manually.

Cheers,

Parky

"...but are the realism settings the ones that change the claims from difficult to easy? It's not clearly marked as such.."

Seems pretty clear to me the only option that mentions claims and it makes them easier.

Most things have a reasonable answer - and often a good reason why they are so it's best to ask first - the guys here are as you can see very helpful.

Thanks gents for the answers to my questions. I have to say, that as Olham said, that this is a WWI sim, not WWII, and yes I understand this, but, my experience comes from flying two previous and different WWI sims, specifically RedBaron3d and SDOE's Fighter Squadron WWI, which I do modding for. I suspect being a mod for a different sim doesn't bode well for my approach to Over Flanders Fields because I come to this sim with an few things to unlearn.

To take your responses as I can, Pol mentioned that the Workshops Realism tabs have 'claims' clearly written on them, ah well, no, mine don't, and I suspect it's because I haven't updated the patches and I don't have HitR installed. I thought I mentioned this earlier. I can post a screenshot if this helps..

Specifically about the wingmen, in SDOE, your flight groups hang in closer, and you do have same basic commands, but with different keys, and yes you can give your flight commands from greater distance in SDOE. Something to unlearn.

In this recent FE2b mission I was going on what Bullethead and uncleal have mentioned about flying with an FE2b flight group when engaging an attacking enemy group, that you fly in a slight circle while repeatedly stabbing "R" to keep the flight group close and in single file behind you. Well the TAC HUD markers for my group were blue, and they weren't immediately coming into formation, but we did have the distraction of 3 Alby DII's dispersed over 3 different but close together airfields, doing airfield attacks, and I suspect the AI had better things to contend with. As it unfolded I was able to keep the airfield attackers occupied, pretty much on my own. I also suspect my wingman and the other two Fee's had some action.

Thanks for the answers, I'm reading as much as I can about this sim, it's going to take a bit of time to sink in, as practice and application of what I learn become instinct.

And yeah I may still ask a few more questions which should have obvious answers

You learn OFF by flying, by reading threads here and also by asking questions from other people. I remember when I flew my first mission in OFF. I didn't know almost anything, but I learned by testing things myself and participating in the conversations here. This is a good community we have here.

Patience is all you need, really. And time. :drinks:

Lewie, if you don't get what my picture is showing, then you don't seem to have it in "Workshops".

You know, we got so used to flying BHaH plus HitR, that we can't say anymore, if it's new.

And don't worry about questions.

As UncleAl used to say: the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Yup, looks like I need to do some updatin'...

post-65486-0-03217400-1302120467.jpg

Hmmm...odd. My CP has another additional setting to tick:

OFF_CP_funeral_screenshot.jpg

:grin:

Just a question because I don't know: are you running vanilla BH&H or have you superpatched and minipatched too? I wasn't aware that the Claims setting in the Workshop was introduced in HitR... but then again I've always had HitR, I specifically wanted to fly with the Yanks when I got OFF so I have no idea what OFF is like without it.

Just a question because I don't know: are you running vanilla BH&H or have you superpatched and minipatched too? I wasn't aware that the Claims setting in the Workshop was introduced in HitR... but then again I've always had HitR, I specifically wanted to fly with the Yanks when I got OFF so I have no idea what OFF is like without it.

Yes, I've mentioned it before it's just the DVD install, I need to bring my laptop to a Wifi node so the superpatch download doesn't take an hour.

Hmmm...odd. My CP has another additional setting to tick:

OFF_CP_funeral_screenshot.jpg

LMAO!! :lol:

Btw......it's not an "additonal" setting at all. I think it overwrote your "Easy Squint" option.

Cheers,

Parky

By God! You're right Parky! :biggrin:

Hmm... 'Outcomes: Hard AI Gun Range'. Is that Louvert-speak for 'firing squad' :grin: ?

Edited by Dej

OK but I fully expect that P4 will come with a Difficulty > Hard, 'Claims are punted to St.Omer', ( where they will be sent across France and photographed in front of various tourist atttractions, ala Amelie's father's garden gnome.

Oh, I love that movie - I love Amelie! Vive la France!!! :wub:

Dej wrote:

Hmm... 'Outcomes: Hard AI Gun Range'. Is that Louvert-speak for 'firing squad' :grin: ?

:rofl: It took me forever to sort out what you were referring to as I had tweaked the original image and the layers swapped, so the item you had pointed out wasn't in the updated pic. It wasn't unitl I went back to the earlier rendition that the light finally dawned. I can be a berk sometimes.

... the light finally dawned. I can be a berk sometimes.

If you mean that feeling, that you are not very much more intelligent than Winnie the Pooh - then we share that, Lou!

I am often glad in the morning, that my feet seem to remember the way to the toilet themselves.