Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

PC Dying? Need Help

Well, this isn't good.

Last night, while using my computer, the screen went black, the PC emitted a three-beep code from the motherboard (the cheap Gateway manual doesn't discuss what the three-beeps mean), and I couldn't reboot. Every time I powered on I got a three beep code. I tried unhooking the HDD and that worked. This morning it's working, sort of. But for the last week it has consistently locked up - requiring a full power off and on to get it working again. I've already replaced the hard drive and the video card in this system. Is it possible that the added pull of power on the 400W supply from the two hard drives and slightly better video card could be causing this, or is this more terminal than I can afford?

I'm a broke graduate student guys, I can't afford to have my computer conk out right now...

Any ideas?

System Specs:

Gateway Fx7024 Desktop

Windows 7 Professional

2 500GB HD

Nvidia GeForce 9800GT

3 GB RAM

Intel Quad Core Processor @ 2.3ghz

Try the NewEgg power supply caculator... Looks like your a bit short of power...

I would try unplugging one HDD and see if it runs ok... Also, once you get it running, BACK UP your stuff before something bad happens...

Edited by Major Lee

Sounds like your low on Juice time to RTB and refuel and re-engine... :grin::flyer:

http://support.gatew...59199faq2.shtml

this may help? (although it's a server mentioned..my first thought is always Memory or PSU)

Yeah, the three beep code on the server is a bad memory issue...

I did the power supply calculations and apparently, this Gateway is woefully under powered at 400W - in fact, with the base setup the system came with, it was drawing 30W more juice than the PSU could give.

well, at least the PSU is 'reasonably' cheap and easy to replace :good:

Hmmmm,

Sure sounds like it could be a power issue, but before you go spending money on a new PSU, make sure you don't have a bad memory stick.

If anything put you way over the top, it would have been the graphics card upgrade. A typical HD will use somewhere in the vicinity of about 10w total...maybe a wopping great big 15w, even when it's being written to quite furiously. The GPU will use about 10x that, and often more depending on the card.

The 5v and 12v demands of a HD are also pretty insignificant, although if the PSU's capabilites were only marginally exceeded, I can see how unplugging one of the HD's might make a difference temporarily.

Cheers,

Parky

My PSU is a corsair 650. I got a good deal from New Egg although I don't remember the price. I have been happy with the product and the service from the Company. I have learned that Gateway puts in the lowest power units to run the Config sold. So U probably do need to up the power since adding to the Configure of the Computer. Its a bummer when a rig goes down and it does seem like we need to have 2 rigs just to keep one running.

Good Luck

I use OCZ psu's and have found them to be reliable and good value. Not sure if they're available in the States, I get mine here in the UK.

I feel for you though, Capt. It's hard when you're strapped for cash.

Edited by tranquillo

Like Parky, I recommend first to do a memory test with memtest86 and remove and insert again all the memory sticks.

The first thing that come to my mind was memory.

CaptSopwith,

Plug your internet connection cable out from your PC or disable your wireless bluetooth connection and restart it again.

If your pc works without the cable. Uninstall your ethernet driver and install it again.

:salute:

Yeah, the three beep code on the server is a bad memory issue...

I did the power supply calculations and apparently, this Gateway is woefully under powered at 400W - in fact, with the base setup the system came with, it was drawing 30W more juice than the PSU could give.

Once you've finally determined that your memory is good and that the PSU is the problem, I have an "old" Nspire 650w PSU that has served me well as a testing platform. You can have it if it'll help out.

Temporary ground crew mechanic.

plug_nickel

Soppy, all very sound advice here, and I agree completely with the above suggestions. I will also add that if you do need a PS, the Diablotek RPM series offer excellent features and a lot of bang for the buck, although you couldn't really do better than Plug Nickel's generous offer. Free is the best deal of all. :smile:

And that, Chaps, is one of the unique things you just have to love about this forum.

Very, very nice gesture of you, Al.

Outstanding!!:good:

Cheers,

Parky

Thanks for the kind replies chaps. I've run several performance tests on the rig, including the old mem86 test and they all come back clean. The computer exhibits the following symptoms: random lock ups, random restarts (I haven't caught one yet while I'm in the room) that leave me at the windows boot screen (which also locks up half the time). The machine also shows a blue screen of death on boot, and then there's the worst part - the screen goes black, gives a three beep code, and is completely locked.

We stress tested the hell out of the machine - and it never cracked. Which leaves me to conclude it must be a power supply issue. I've contacted Al about his remarkably gracious offer. Here's hoping I can sort things out.

Any further thoughts guys?

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Pull one stick of RAM out and run on the other two. See if the problem still exists. Wash, rinse and repeat....just to be absolutely sure it's not memory related.

I'm inclined to believe you're right about it being a power issue though, as long as you've eliminated any overheating components as a possible culprit.

Cheers,

Parky

No expert, but when I had PSU problems, you could do the theory and add up the power use of your components, - but some components do have peaks above their stated wattage, some power demands change as components get warm, and also, some PSU's decay with age and don't always crank out the Watts the label says they do. - What that means is it can all work fine on paper but still not work in reality.

I'm going back a few years now, but my power shortage was confirmed because I could avoid my problems by unplugging my DR-roms and floppy drive, and my machine started to run fine, - which confirmed there was too much demand on my PSU. I upgraded my power unit, and problem fixed.

I'd try to diagnose the problem more before you spend money on a new psu, but then again, they are pretty cheap components to buy a few more Watts are not going to hurt anyway.

One way to confirm this is to have a good DVOM ( Digital-Volt-Ohm-Meter ) that you trust the voltage readings from, something like a Fluke or similar.

And do a real time voltage test during boot up Check both the 12 volt and 5 volt side of the PS while booting up. This is usually a time when power use is spiking, drives are spinning up, the board is doing it's POST diagnostic, checking RAM, and the fans are drawing more current as they spin up.

This is, if you are comfortable with working on your computer with it's side off and your hands in the wires. But it will give you a definite baseline to check from. Any 12 volt voltage reading lower than 12.15 would be suspect, as would anything below 5.1 on the 5 volt side of things.

At work we have a computer power supply tester that we just plug the PSU into and then turn it on. If any of the voltages are not right there is an audible warning. If someone brings a PSU in that is suspect we will check it out for them, no charge. Takes about a minute. Maybe you could remove your PSU and take it to a Mom & Pop computer store and get it checked out.

Tony

At work we have a computer power supply tester that we just plug the PSU into and then turn it on. If any of the voltages are not right there is an audible warning. If someone brings a PSU in that is suspect we will check it out for them, no charge. Takes about a minute. Maybe you could remove your PSU and take it to a Mom & Pop computer store and get it checked out.

Tony

That's a good idea, but it would be good to keep notes from the original system to also help isolate the problem, especially if the original motherboard has suddenly developed a fault that causes a high current use. This would be to check the PS voltages against the original board's electricity consumption.