Sign in to follow this  
Dave

What Side Do You Fly For and Why?

I fly with the British. I love the Sopwith Pup it is a fun airplane to fly, with great visibiltiy and gentle manners. It is a great plane to just fly around the French countryside!

Olham, love the Warsteiner, the wife and I used to go to a Deli that had great sandwiches and served Warsteiner. Every now and then I will pickup a case, however last weekend I bought a case of lager from a brewery called Weihenstephaner, sounds as if it is from your neck of the woods. They claim to be the worlds oldest brewery, whatever it tastes good and we have almost finished the case! :drinks:

:salute: I generally play both sides since I play more then one pilot. Currently, I am only flying one and hope to get him all the way past 1917. :grin:

So far I would say it has been a very even split between German and British. Have flown some French but not a lot. Now if the Germans had the 17b it would be all German.

The Nieuport has been my favorite plane thus far. Never live long enough to try the Camel, SE5, ect. Maybe I'll just create a new pilot to continue the campaign from date the pilot dies.

I fly mostly British, French and American. I have a German pilot, but I fly him only about 1/3 as much as the others. I just love my Se-5a and Nieuport 28, but I really can't wait for Phase 4 and the Snipe!

Edited by vyrago

... I bought a case of lager from a brewery called Weihenstephaner, sounds as if it is from your neck of the woods.

They claim to be the worlds oldest brewery, whatever it tastes good and we have almost finished the case!

"Weihenstephaner" northeast of Munich are at least one of the oldest breweries, and they brew

after the "Bayerische Reinheitsgebot", which is - according to Creaghorn - the only real German Purity Law.

Enjoy it - it is a very good German beer.

I am kind of surprised at the number of Snipe fans here!

I thought only a few ever really made it to the front, mostly for operational testing, and wasn't that when the war was almost over?

I am going strictly by memory here...

I fly mostly British as it is, my two longest lived pilots are both in two seater campaigns, one's a 1916 BE2c Jockey, the other flies RE8's in the later days of spring 1917. I thought I'd like a Camel career, but they get themselves into drastic odds at times and I've lost 3 Camel pilots. There comes a time when no matter how maneuverable and well armed your kite is, the 12 odd Germans gathered around, gunning for you will eventually get you.

If my two seater careers have taught me anything, it's patience and how to be a sneaky vultch. :grin:

• Like 1

Si, and Creaghorn!

I salute you both. :salute:

I just hope that you will find the P4 campaign worthy of noble spirits like yours.

All the best,

the shredder

Hear! Hear!

Mais chacun a son gout, n'est pas?

Me, when I was flying regularly, I did so almost exclusively for the British RNAS, partly selfishly because of the point Hellshade highlighted, and partly because I find it a fascinating aspect of the Great War in the Air, with so many frustrating 'what ifs' compared with the contemporaneous RFC's often 'cannon-fodder' tragedy.

• Like 1

Most my pilots are from Germany, early in the war (late 1916 & 1917) flying the Albatros . I have tried other countries and aircraft but I feel more comfortable with the Albatros.

Rich

I prefer the Germans as I think the planes are cooler-looking (paint jobs & lines) and I do love to fly the Albatros D.II with its twin Spandaus. There's also a lot of colorful history with the Jastas and overall I've always been intrigued by WWI and WWII German military for some reason. I do like their strategy of defense rather than aggressor as I think that fits in best with my personality and the way I might strategize. There's also something about that Iron Cross that strikes fear into enemies and I like the psychological aspect of that symbol.

jwrich: ... tried other countries and aircraft but I feel more comfortable with the Albatros.

Shiloh: ... think the planes are cooler-looking (paint jobs & lines) and I do love to fly the Albatros D.II with its twin Spandaus. There's also a lot of colorful history with the Jastas

More guests to share the keg of "Warsteiner" with me - cheers, Piloten!

:drinks:

Shiloh, the "Iron Cross" is in heraldics called a "Tatzenkreuz" (paw cross) and goes far back to the "Ritter des Deutschordens" (Teutonic Knights).

See here:

http://en.wikipedia....eutonic_Knights

Edited by Olham

jwrich: ... tried other countries and aircraft but I feel more comfortable with the Albatros.

Shiloh: ... think the planes are cooler-looking (paint jobs & lines) and I do love to fly the Albatros D.II with its twin Spandaus. There's also a lot of colorful history with the Jastas

More guests to share the keg of "Warsteiner" with me - cheers, Piloten!

Shiloh, the "Iron Cross" is in heraldics called a "Tatzenkreuz" (paw cross) and goes far back to the "Ritter des Deutschordens" (Teutonic Knights).

See here:

http://en.wikipedia....eutonic_Knights

I play an RTS game called Medieval Total War with the Teutonic Knighs and I love their uniforms/armor/helmets...they just look tough.

101175-King_Teutonic1_super.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

Yeah, they know about the "Art of War"...

My father joined the RAF in 1922 (a year before TE Lawrence) and retired as a Flt. Sgt. Fitter I in 1958. I joined the RAF in 1968 and left in 1973 as a Cpl. Engine Fitter. You can guess which side I fly on :salute::salute::salute:

I prefer the Germans as I think the planes are cooler-looking (paint jobs & lines) and I do love to fly the Albatros D.II with its twin Spandaus. There's also a lot of colorful history with the Jastas and overall I've always been intrigued by WWI and WWII German military for some reason. I do like their strategy of defense rather than aggressor as I think that fits in best with my personality and the way I might strategize. There's also something about that Iron Cross that strikes fear into enemies and I like the psychological aspect of that symbol.

Hi

I have never flown campaigns for any other nation than Geramany in OFF or in RB3D since 1999!

My reasons are similiar to Shiloh's.

There are something special about the German planes not only in WW1 but also in WW2....

Cheers

vonOben

Edited by vonOben

I really can't wait for Phase 4 and the Snipe!

A man after my own heart! :drinks:

Hi

I have never flown campaigns for any other nation than Geramany in OFF or in RB3D since 1999!

My reasons are similiar to Shiloh's.

There are something special about the German planes not only in WW1 but also in WW2....

Cheers

vonOben

Well except for the fact that the Germans do offensive patrols quite a ways over the allied lines.

Lewie, have you tried Bletchley's mods for more realistic mission types?

I never fly without those mods these days. Combined with Creaghorn's and HPW's mods, they greatly improve the OFF P3 experience.