Sign in to follow this  
thebear

new to Wov,my first problem and reccomendations please

Hi i am new to WoV i havent played fighter sims seriously since f22 adf and always wanted to get back into it and this game is giving me the love again.

However, im trying to work out how to use an aim9 in combat im used to the noise it gives and when behind an aircraft im waiting for a lock tone but it never comes. it does change pitch slightly is that the lock tone? i managed to splash two from behind last night but it turned out to be friendly fire but i dont know whether it was luck.

im ok using the sparrows

secondly as a first timer im reading alot about the mods. i want ot eventually get yankee air pirate 2 but just waiting for funds. can anyone recommend me some mods,and additional campaigns etc

many thanks

aim-9 in vientam no was an "good" missile, you will need to come veery close to get an tone. but it comes.

i really recomend weapon packs, it help a lot modern fighers.

Edited by cadeteBRA

it does change pitch slightly is that the lock tone?

Yes it is, but I wouldn't count on the early winders much. In general my own rule is -if you're 6 o'clock close and steady enough you consider swithing to guns -that's good range to fire a Sidewinder.

For mods, try Brain32's HR Vietnam Repaint and Green Hell 2

For campaigns Charlie Aces by Rhugouvi for WoV

ha i would love some guns but im in a navy f4 lol im just trying it out at the minute and getting the feel for it. i have heard of green mod 2 i will have to check those out.

The discussion how to use the AIM-9B successfully we had a lot of times here in the forum.

Major rules:

1. Be in 5 - 7 o clock position to the target

2. minimum range 800 meters maximum range 2000 meters

3. not moving during firing procedure

4. hope and pray

Hi i am new to WoV i havent played fighter sims seriously since f22 adf and always wanted to get back into it and this game is giving me the love again.

However, im trying to work out how to use an aim9 in combat im used to the noise it gives and when behind an aircraft im waiting for a lock tone but it never comes. it does change pitch slightly is that the lock tone? i managed to splash two from behind last night but it turned out to be friendly fire but i dont know whether it was luck.

im ok using the sparrows

secondly as a first timer im reading alot about the mods. i want ot eventually get yankee air pirate 2 but just waiting for funds. can anyone recommend me some mods,and additional campaigns etc

many thanks

Before dropping $$$ on YAP, you might want to give this free mod a try. It adds better terrain, target areas, clouds, tons of aircraft, better campaigns, deadlier flak, etc... It REALLY improves the immersivenss over the stock game!

http://combatace.com/files/file/10281-wov-air-ground-war-expansion-pack-gold-part-1/

http://combatace.com/files/file/10282-wov-air-ground-war-expansion-pack-gold-part-2/

http://combatace.com/files/file/10300-wov-air-ground-war-expansion-pack-gold-part-3/

http://combatace.com/files/file/10472-wov-air-ground-war-expansion-pack-gold-terrain-update/

http://combatace.com/files/file/10658-wov-air-ground-war-expansion-pack-gold-apr-2011-update/

There are a few parts to download and install, but it should be fairly straight forward. Make sure to read the readme included!!!

There should be some sound files in the SF1 downlaod section that distinguish the AIM-9 tones better that I've used for years -

IRgrowl.wav and IRgrowlLock.wav would need to go in the Sounds mod folder

There should be some sound files in the SF1 downlaod section that distinguish the AIM-9 tones better that I've used for years -

IRgrowl.wav and IRgrowlLock.wav would need to go in the Sounds mod folder

I concur with the lock tone files, they are a world of difference in the game. As for the 'winders, anything up to the Lima and Mike models were crap in real life. If you want success in the game they are best used at from dusk to dawn, at those times the seeker heads won't be confused by the sun of it's reflection off of ground water.

As for guns in a Phantom, the SUU pods are good for strafing and last ditch in a dogfight. Having mounted a couple long time ago they are a beast to boresight and we never were quite sure if they were dead on. Stick with missiles, the AIM-7E and F's can be your friend. Just lock them up in your radar, fire your Sparrow and hold the target in your radar until impact. The AIM-7 gives you a wider engagement envelope and a little longer reach.

And the WoV free expansion that is available here is a good challenge after you get tired of the stock install.

cheers guys thanks for all the input i will definitely have a go through these ideas tonight when the mrs' programs are on lol.<br> yep i agree with the sprrows much more user friendly and offer that bit of an extra distance.<br><br>got caught up in a accidental dogfight with a mig 17 with my a4 last night got shot down by aa in the end. those planes were not meant for that role i never got near him. i was fully loaded with mk-82's too. still at least he never shot me down haha.

love this game

Edited by thebear