Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: What I've Been Working On This Last Week

Greetings All,

As I mentioned in the BOC thread, one of the things that has kept me away from you lot this last week was a rather large, albeit very fun, project that was asked of me by my old online RB3D squadron, the virtual RAF 209. As they now fly in the numerous IL2 wars online, they are restructuring and one of the things they are doing is simpifying their awards system, and they asked if I could put together a new abbreviated set of medals and awards for them that would be historically based but specific to their squadron. I thought you might enjoy seeing the furits of my labours.

The Medal of Merit, (presented either with or without swords, depending on the circumstances):

RAF_209_Medal_of_Merit_With_Swords.jpg

The Medal of Gallantry:

RAF_209_Medal_of_Gallantry.jpg

The Cross of Honour:

RAF_209_Cross_of_Honour.jpg

The King's Cross:

RAF_209_Kings_Cross.jpg

The Order of the Eagle, (again, can be presented with or without swords):

RAF_209_Order_of_the_Eagle_With_Swords.jpg

And their top honour, the Order of the 209:

RAF_209_Order_of_the_209.jpg

They also asked if I would create their pilot wings, which they present to members after the criteria has been met.

Combat Fighter Pilot WIngs:

RAF_209_Pilot_Combat_Fighter_Badge_cased.jpg

Combat Bomber Pilot Wings:

RAF_209_Pilot_Combat_Bomber_Badge_cased.jpg

Pretty spiffy, eh what? Almost makes a bloke want to go and fly IL2 online. BTW, who can identify all the bits and pieces I used from actual medals? There are several. :grin:

Lou

Very nice indeed!

If I wasn't such an OFF slappy these almost make me want to fire up my IL2 install. Do you use the UOP's as I do?

Thanks Duke. When I was flying IL2 I was using the UOPs. But like you, I'm an OFF slappy too. And I am no longer a member of the 209. It's been two years since I retired from that fine little group.

Thanks Duke. When I was flying IL2 I was using the UOPs. But like you, I'm an OFF slappy too. And I am no longer a member of the 209. It's been two years since I retired from that fine little group.

Oh I remember the mighty 209 back from my RB3D days. Always a bunch of gentleman.

Fine art works, Lou, definitely!

I recognise at least one RL medal you used - the "Order of the House of Hohenzollern" (No. 4).

No. 1 could use parts of the Distinguished Service Cross?

Albert Order with Sword was also used, I think?

Looking nice... as to the last 2 those seem to be a blend of the RAF wings and the USAF wings...

Very nice work indeed Lou. I particularly appreciate the silken sheen of the inside lid... it's such little details as make the difference.

Well, as you know, my knowledge of medals is, at best..poor...but I know a damn fine piece of work when I see it!...they are beautiful indeed!!

Superb workmanship there, Lou, and a good advert for the squad, whose players will be proud to have your awards pinned to their virtual breasts!

Thanks for the kudos Gents, glad you approve of my efforts for my old squadron. Olham, you have quite correctly ID'd three of the medals I used for templates. And Slarti, you are right as well about the pilot badges being a blend of RAF and USAF wing bits. Other medals used in this project were, (or at least parts of them): Austrian Bravery Medal, Serbian Order of the White Eagle, one of the British Territorial Service Medals, the British Military Cross, the British DSO, the Croix de Guerre, and a Pennsylvania National Guard Service Medal.

Very nice work indeed Lou. The "Order of the Eagle' is a very prestigious looking medal - one any man would proudly adorn on his chest.

Only one word comes to my mind: Exquisite!

Excellent work, Lou. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs of a certain little sim we all know and love may have been already been in touch with you about the design of their medals for P4!

Only one word comes to my mind: Exquisite!

Excellent work, Lou. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs of a certain little sim we all know and love may have been already been in touch with you about the design of their medals for P4!

One would certainly hope so...they would really add something to the Sim

One would certainly hope so...they would really add something to the Sim

Simply beautiful, Lou.:good:

They are super Lou well done. Arto has already done the medals for P4 and they are stunning too so I think we are Ok for now WM.

They are super Lou well done. Arto has already done the medals for P4 and they are stunning too so I think we are Ok for now WM.

Cool :good: