Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

Welcome to Skyrim BH! Seems most of this Forum is infected already! Your character looks great and ugly, maybe you should try crafting an eye for him! If you see a grey dog called Brabus, please warn him that Widow is looking for him!

Here Doggy, doggy doggy...come to daddy!! :lol:

Here's my guy. A dark elf named Szeth and his Housecarl, Lydia. I usually let her go up front and take aggro with her sword and shield while I stand back and pick them off using my bow. I reserve the occassional Dragon Shout for any enemies that get too close.

Edited by Hellshade

I havent worked out even 1/60th of the things you can do...I didn't even know you could make your own armour!...how the hell do you do that?

You should find some ore or ingots first, the go to the smith and use his bench. You can upgrade armor too or smith your own weapons. As for the dogs, word has it there are more than one but only one can talk! And you can get one as a companion too! How great is that!

To answer your question WM - look here : http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Smithing

Armor, weapons, potions, cooking, enchantments on your equipment. In fact if you go all the way up the perk tree for Enchanting, you can even put two enchantments on each item. You can also improve your weapons and armor so they hit harder or protect you more, respectively, in addition to the enchantments you place on them. It's no longer a game. It's the worlds first Fantasy Role Playing Simulator. :grin:

With Oblivion I remember modding it heavily to make it more to my liking. With Skyrim, I haven't seen anything yet I care to mod, plus it runs so damn smooth. No stutter at all anywhere and I've only seen texture pop ins maybe once or twice in all the time I've played. I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm just saying it's so damn immersive and good that whatever little issues occassionally show up, I just don't care.

Hellshade

Thanks Chaps!.... Ingots 'R' Us!

Although I enjoyed Oblivion...I have not been as drawn into a game of this sort as much since Dark Messiah...I'm loving it

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Thanks Chaps!.... Ingots 'R' Us!

Ingots usually aren't available for sale or plunder in the quantities you want, so you might have to make your own. That's a rather involved process. First, you have to find an abandoned mine and clear out the monsters. Second, you need to dig up the ore (which requires a pickaxe, but you can usually find one lying around inside the mine). Third, you need to smelt the ore into ingots. This requires a smelter device and I haven't found one of those yet (not that I've looked too hard). I believe you have to bring a pile of firewood to run the smelter (which requires a woodman's axe and a chopping block device), too. THEN you have ingots, which you then take to the forge and/or grindstone and/or workbench to make or improve something.

But all that's for folks with panzer fetishes. I personally prefer light armor because 1) you can carry more loot and 2) you make a lot less noise wearing it. And as it happens, you can make leather armor for free out of the hides of any fur-bearing critters you run acorss in your travels. The bigger the critter, the more leather you get out of it. Just take the hides to a scraping rack, turn them into leather, turn a couple of leather pieces into strips, and you're all set. In this scenario, you only use the odd ingot to sharpen your sword or make a better one when you up that skill enough. If you end up with more ingots than you want to carry, make some metal weapon or armor and sell it.

I'm not sure, but I guess maybe a few other people like the game besides those of us here enjoying it.

• PC World (10/10) — “Skyrim represents the culmination of that balancing act, of all Bethesda’s learned and mastered about epic nonlinear play”
  • GameSpy (5/5) — “it’s without a doubt one of the best games I’ve played this year… if not one of the best role-playing games of the last decade.”
  • GamePro (5/5) — “Like every other game in the series, Skyrim is going to eat hundreds of hours of my gaming time over the next few years.”
  • RipTen (10/10) — “With this game, a new era dawns, a new standard in immersion. This is Bethesda’s magnum opus.”
  • OXM UK(10/10): “Bethesda’s new Elder Scrolls is a world apart”
  • CVG(9.5/10) — “it’s an adventure; an escape into a compelling world of myth and magic – and it’s the biggest, deepest RPG of the generation.”
  • Hooked Gamers (9.5/10)
  • PlayStation Universe (9.5/10) — “Open-world RPG fans have every reason to be excited; Bethesda truly delivered an extraordinary game.”
  • The Sixth Axis (9/10) –”Simply put, Skyrim – the game – is a wonderful experience because Skyrim – the land – is a wonderful place. I heartily recommend a few days off work or school so you can visit.”
  • The Guardian (5/5) — “The sheer size of the adventure, both in terms of its environment and in the amount of activities available to the player, is mind-blowing.”
  • AZCentral — “Put plainly, The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim is the best game released this year.”
  • AVault (5/5) — “In a marketplace where console RPGs are bigger than they’ve ever been before,Skyrim’s arrival marks a fitting Return of the King.”
  • ActionTrip (9.6/10) — “one unforgettable adventure.”
  • ScrewAttack (9/10)
  • Video Game Writers (5/5): “The Elder Scrolls is still the pinnacle of open-world RPG experiences and Skyrim feels like the magnum opus in a series that has spanned nearly 20 years.”
  • CNET — “a triumphant experience”
  • Just Push Start — “Skyrim is the pinnacle of RPG gaming offering countless hours of exploration and action.”
  • Feed Your Console (9/10)
  • Attack of the Fanboy: “The core changes that were made to the franchise, like the revamped graphics and combat systems, were probably enough to seal the deal in the case for this being the studio’s best work.”
  • Gaming Union (9/10) — “It will consume you.”
  • Xbox Addict (97%)
  • Crave Online (9/10)– “The settings Bethesda created are absolutely stunning.”
  • Game Revolution (9/10) — “Endlessly replayable and a phenomenal landmark in gaming, Skyrim deserves a place in every true gamer’s collection.”
  • CNN — The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is truly a wide-open game with many possibilities and visually stunning places to explore.”
  • Bloody-Disgusting — “The beauty of Skyrim is once you have it you won’t have the desire to play anything else for a very, very long time.”
  • DallasNews.com — “It’s the best Elder Scrolls yet and easily one of the best games this year.”
  • Atomic Gamer (10/10) — “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is easily my favorite game of 2011.”
  • Al.com (A+) — “The result will be that I’ll probably log even more time in Skyrim than I did in Oblivion. Skyrim is not only bigger, it’s better in almost every way.”
  • Charleston Gazette (10/10) — “This is the pinnacle of modern role-playing games.”
  • NowGamer (9.4/10) — “Brilliant in every way – just remember to fix your social circle once you’re done.”
  • Frictionless Insight (5/5) — “Skyrim is the most fun you can have this side of Oblivion.”
  • PC Mag (4.5/5)
  • Planet Xbox 360 (9.7) — “There are also a good amount of surprises that were kept a secret for the release which had me howling in excitement for how carefully well done they were implemented. Having only completed over 60 hours, there is still a great deal for me to explore and quests to finish.”
  • SFX (5/5) — “Finish Batman: Arkham City quick, because once Skyrim begins you’re not playing anything else for months.”
  • TotallyGN (9.5/10) — “Skyrim is an epic experience.”
  • Project Coe (9.5/10) — “We most certainly have another contender for Game of the Year right here.”
  • Spong (99%): “Skyrim is definitely a fitting sequel to Oblivion.”
  • Strategy Informer (95%)
  • Digital Spy (5/5) — “Skyrim is hotter than a dragon’s backside after three courses at a curry house.”
  • Ten Ton Hammer (93%)
  • Trendkiller Online – “Skyrim is available everywhere for the 360, PS3 and PC and is officially my game of the year.”
  • We Got This Covered (5/5) — “If you’re on the fence for a specific reason, it’s time to take the plunge, as Skyrim is a can’t miss release.”
  • GamersTemple (98%)
  • gamrReview (9.7/10) — “Skyrim is a transcendent experience.”
  • T3 (5/5)
Edited by Hellshade

Man that looks to be a lot of review links.

I have not purchased yet but had a play at a friends place who got it for their kids, or so they say.

It looks very good but the menu's seem to be designed around a controller as you have to use arrow buttons then press enter etc to make selections. On that install at least.

One thing I would like clarified is what appears to be loads while you are walking around. On the PC I tried it on every 500 meters or a KM or so you come to a complete stop. Wait about 30 seconds and you can move again.

This PC is a dual core 3.0 I am told with XP SP3 and an ATI 6850 video card. Now my PC is slightly paster but not by much 3.1 and a ATI 6870 card. Not much between them.

Since it was not my PC I could not try to see if there were any setting to tweak to get around what appeared to be loads while playing. Does anyone here get these pauses during game play?

From what I have seen (about 30 mine play) I like it but not the very frequent pauses that look like the loading on the maps like in the old days. I have the witcher 2 and have none of these issues, but then again the witcher 2 areas are a bit smaller I think.

but so far looks like a nice game.

Regards MarkL

I think for my first character I'm going to go for a Breton (ideally half Breton, half Nord - but I'd probably have to pretend that bit) who's loyal to the Empire (I usually go for Breton as I'm unoriginal and it sounds like Briton. :blum: )

Although I imagine I'll make a bearded Nord with a big Axe at some point, as is required.

I made a real good looking Nord woman, I thought, if I had to live with someone for so long, better have at least nice oo !

No loading times while running in the wild, the only loading times I get is when I go inside or outside buildings or big towns and that's some five seconds or so. Maybe it has to do with the RAM installed, I got 8GB on Win 7.

No load times or pauses at all in the outside or inside areas except of course when transitioning from one to the other. I get between a 1 and 3 second load time going from indoors to out and vice versa. Probably be even less if Steam would have given me the option to install it on my SSD drive, but I didn't see anywhere that it gave me a choice of where to install.

The interface is definately designed for a controller. I bought an Xbox 360 controller specifically to play this game on my PC. Skyrim actually has built in support for it on the PC version. Once I got used to using a controller, I really love it. Aiming with my bow isn't as quick and accurate as with a mouse, but still very functional and I'm getting better with all the practice.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

No load times or pauses at all in the outside or inside areas except of course when transitioning from one to the other. I get between a 1 and 3 second load time going from indoors to out and vice versa. Probably be even less if Steam would have given me the option to install it on my SSD drive, but I didn't see anywhere that it gave me a choice of where to install.

There's a way to move all Steam games.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

But to move individually, I don't know.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

Indeed ... I have moved all my games to a different HDD in the past..but, I believe..it's all games only

PS...Anyone know where the savegames for skyrim are stored? (Windows 7)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

https://support.stea...=7710-tdlc-0426

Indeed ... I have moved all my games to a different HDD in the past..but, I believe..it's all games only

PS...Anyone know where the savegames for skyrim are stored? (Windows 7)

I too went through this process some time back and it works great. Once you follow the steps Steam will automatically install downloads to the new location. I would think that when you do the copying over that you could leave a game or two behind and in essence, split up your games onto various drives but I'm not 100%.

Just so you know to watch out, your companions can die.

I bought this as soon as available and after working on OFF a great way to get some escapism. A fair few years ago I used to do ye olde AD&D and this is the closest any modern game has come to the detail and tension you can feel in the AD&D dungeons - love the traps in the dungeons and the fear at last!

The first companion to die "Faendal" I met in Riverwood early on. I was shocked as he survived dragons and others but died in a fight with 2 mammoths and 2 giants (I lost sight of him think the mammoth fell on him ;)). Not great to leave all your loot in the middle of nowhere either.

Then a bit later, Lydia who seems to recover quite easily normally, died in a nasty place with some fierce vampires won't say where but luckily the game crashed shortly after so I had to reload with her alive.

Funniest moment, in a dungeon I was sneaking through very carefully looking for traps etc, managed to avoid a very nasty spike one, and feeling smug went on. Then a little further on I had to chase someone and ran through new areas rapidly. Right into some undead who charged me and chased. As this was early on I was too weak to fight and panicked - running backwards at high speed away. Anyway to cut a long story short in my panic I passed through the spike trap backwards, which went off. However I sat there blinking when I realised what had happened. I was running the "wrong way" for the trap, and it went off as I got out of the way by pure luck. I blinked as I realised there were suddenly no horde of undead after me... I found them behind me splatted all over the place across the room now really un-un-dead. L u c k y ;)

For the record it runs around 55-60 fps on my system with gfx set to highest no fps issues.

One of the games of the decade I'd say.

BTW game saves/settings are defaulted to "C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\My Games" for Win7.

My Horse is a psycho!!!...He's killed more Bandits than me! :yikes:

I was fighting some bandits...finished them off...and 'Swift' (thats his name..I gave to him)...was nowhere to be seen...I heard him Neigh....looked up...and saw he had gone up the stairs of the battlements...and totalled three bandits on his own!!!....Needless to say..he got a carrot! :lol:

(and Thanks for the savegame info Pol) :drinks:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Confirmed, horses do attack NPCs and kill them, I've witnessed an abandoned horse attack a group of three bandits and tear them to pieces! Didn't attacked me though! And yes, seems to be the Game of the Decade!

Funniest moment, in a dungeon I was sneaking through very carefully looking for traps etc, managed to avoid a very nasty spike one, and feeling smug went on. Then a little further on I had to chase someone and ran through new areas rapidly. Right into some undead who charged me and chased. As this was early on I was too weak to fight and panicked - running backwards at high speed away. Anyway to cut a long story short in my panic I passed through the spike trap backwards, which went off. However I sat there blinking when I realised what had happened. I was running the "wrong way" for the trap, and it went off as I got out of the way by pure luck. I blinked as I realised there were suddenly no horde of undead after me... I found them behind me splatted all over the place across the room now really un-un-dead. L u c k y ;)

:clapping::drinks:

I bet I know the place you're talking about. Real Indiana Jones-esque in places.

My funniest moment had mostly to do with the character statistics page, where I noticed at the bottom there's a tally kept of "bunnies slaughtered". So I've made it a personal goal to rid Skyrim of its lagomorphs and one day, after knocking a rabbit about 20 feet with a massively powerful bow shot, I decided to try my "Raise Zombie" spell on it. Thus, for a while, I had "Snotr One-Eye's Rabbit" scampering along with me, trailing clouds of black smoke. A couple bends later along the road and I came across a vampire conjurer lurking in ambush. My zombie bunnie immediately charged him, interrupting his casting some spell to summon Akatosh-knows-what monstrosity to fight for him. But as the vampire turned to defend himself from this unexpected attack, my zombie spell duration expired and the rabbit fizzled out into a pile of glowing goo at the vampire's feet. However, the distraction allowed me to put a clothyard shaft between his 3rd and 4th cervical vertebrae and down he went.

So I dug around in my stash of potion ingredients and dropped a handful of various flowers on the oozing remains of my zombie rabbit. If there's a vallahala for such abominations, he earned it. Then I immediately set out to create more zombie rabbits :grin:

Well Skyrims only been out a few days and already there are hundreds of mods available for it for the PC version. Here's a link to some of the more popular ones. I haven't tried any of them yet so I can vouch for any of them, but there is one for re-mapping hard coded keymaps on the interface and another for making save game profiles so you don't get your different characters mixed up in the saves.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/14/the-10-best-skyrim-mods-so-far/

I also read that Skyrim has outsold everything in it's opening weekend except Call of Duty MW3. 3.4 million units estimated, not including digital Steam sales. Wow. Good job Bethesda

Hellshade

Indeed!...a company that brings us so much enjoyment (such as OBD and Bethesda) deserve our undying thanks and support

The only thing that makes me sad about the Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is the fact that I'll have to wait five years again until Elder Scrolls VI, except the future DLCs of course!

I'll still be playing it in five years I suspect!...I'm a bit slow on these games...I tend to waffle about, finding DOGS and s**t!!...so thanks for that m8!!!...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :lol:

I also read that Skyrim has outsold everything in it's opening weekend except Call of Duty MW3. 3.4 million units estimated, not including digital Steam sales. Wow. Good job Bethesda

Well Vgachartz is not reliable sourcw but they estimate 3.4 million in 48 hours. Not counting the digital sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88459/skyrim-sales-exceed-34-million-units-in-two-days/

And also interesting is the number in Steam of people playing. Beating CoD. :drinks:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/