Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

US ARMY gets the Block III Apache

Apart from the increase in performance... sometimes the outside hides the goodies inside...

In the Indian Air Force tender for 22 attack helicopters, the AH-64D beat the Mi-28N. Expect to see these in Indian Air Force colours soon :cool: .

still ugly

(runs away to the cave)

still ugly

(runs away to the cave)

Stary running away to that cave is a bad idea it will come after you... but you are right its so fugly...

I am sure this has some serious onboard computer upgrades w/the more power and efficient power plants.

Look at all the purpose built mud moving aircraft non are pretty. Look at the A-10, A-1, AH-1, A-7, SU-25, and the many other down in the dirt stuff. All vey ugly yet still look cool.

Edited by MAKO69

My ex used to work at the shop in Boise as an armament type. Last spring I got to sit in one, and A model since they are a reserve unit, but still, pretty cool. I bet the D has a pretty cool cockpit, the one I was in still had analog gauges, which I like better anyways.

The turboshafts appear to got new back cover at their nozzles ? Am I wrong ?

Edited by B52STRATO

Combat-Helo guys had a blog post about that recently. Said something about the on-board remote controls for UAV.

I am sure this has some serious onboard computer upgrades w/the more power and efficient power plants.

Look at all the purpose built mud moving aircraft non are pretty. Look at the A-10, A-1, AH-1, A-7, SU-25, and the many other down in the dirt stuff. All vey ugly yet still look cool.

dittos

"It's an amazing game-changer," said Maj. Gen. Tim Crosby about the new Apache. Crosby, the Army's program executive officer for aviation, went on to say during a press conference that no other helicopter in the world could match the Apache Block III.

The new attack helicopter has a stronger engine, improved avionics, better computer-networking capability and increased maneuverability when compared to current Apaches, officials said.

The Block III Apache features a 701D engine, composite rotor blades, a "Rotorcraft Drive System of the 21st Century" known as RDS-21, Face Gear Transmission and High Performance Shock Strut advanced landing gear.

"It's like flying an Appaloosa stud," said Lt. Col. Dan Bailey, Apache Block III program manager, who said he had experience as a youth breaking horses.

"This aircraft is so much faster and stronger than anything we've had in the past," Bailey said.

Game Changer or just Game enhancer?

Depends on your definition of "changing the game". I mean, is making aces wild a "game changer" for poker? Sure, to some extent, but it's still poker.