Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Not another DM?!

Hello Gents!

Yes, it's true. I have updated my DM again! I just can't help myself. :lol:

Seriously, this is probably the most thoroughly tested DM I have ever created. Virtually every single aircraft has been individually tested to make sure that it performs (and breaks up) as designed! Major revisions were made to the engines and fuel tanks to get more realistic explosions and fires--I am very satisfied with the relatively quick progression from a small fire to a bigger explosion and larger fire that follows if you pepper the engine with enough ammo. I also tried to balance the occurence of engine fires with damage to the wings so that you should have fewer "flying flamers." In other words, wings should be close to failure by the time you have hit the engine enough for it to catch fire.

Overall, I slightly increased the engine hit points on most scouts while slightly decreasing the engine hit points on some two-seaters. This should make scouts slightly more durable against those pesky two-seaters! One exception to this is the Roland, which I strengthened a bit because it seemed to fall apart too easily. It now behaves more like the other two-seaters.

One thing that bugged me about my last revision to the DM (version 1.1), is the frequency of fuel leaks for some models--the Albatros, for instance. I think I have fixed this in version 1.25. Now, there is a much greater gap between getting a very small leak and a very large leak. I also eliminated the chance of a fire from hits to the fuel tank because this seemed to be a major cause of the flying flamers.

In addition to adjustments to the engine and fuel tanks, I also made a few adjustments to the wings of some models, mainly for game balancing purposes. All in all, I think this will lead to a much improved DM over the last version.

I am in the final stages of copying files from one folder to another and hope to have a campaign version of the DM ready sometime tomorrow. Shortly after that, I will also upload a "mod to the mod" which will include Lima33's arc of fire mod for two-seaters which increases the arc of fire for several of the two-seaters in the game. Lima's mod will be an optional mod for my DM that can easily be installed on top of my DM. Lima already has a version of his mod that works for players who do not use any of my DM's. :sad:

I will answer any questions about this mod on this thread, but not for several hours as I am off to a basketball game and out later with some friends. I hope you all enjoy the mod and feel it is a worthy successor to my earlier DM's. Happy flying!

HPW

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Have been looking forward to this, HPW! Enjoy your game and we'll be watching out for the mod tomorrow! :drinks:

This will be the "absolute ultimate definite final" DM now? :grin:

Okay, going to the downloads...

atta boy HPW....keep 'em coming....love your work!

Thanks guys.

No download yet, Olham, although I do appreciate your enthusiasm!

Hopefully, a download will be ready by tomorrow at this time.

Oh, I should also point out for all you Fokker dreidecker fans out there--

I slightly increased the wing hit points and made the Dr 1 a little less fire prone so it should stand up to battle with the Camels and Se5a's of this world just a little better.

Don't worry. All of my changes are really very small and should not effect game balance all that much. The devs already did a great job with the original DM--in all of my DM's, I've only had to make mostly minor adjustments. The biggest adjustment I've made with the Ultimate DM is to the engine hit points--they are, on average, seven times as "strong" as the original--but still blow up nicely. Muhahahahahaha!

Oh, and if you do find something odd in the new DM, please be sure to let me hear about it.

Engine hit points increased - I like the sound of that - as opposed to the dreaded 'bag of spanners' sound every time a round or two hits your motor, which I hear too often. After this, bring on the 2-seaters, I say!

They probably did have a lot of fuel leaks. Although I cant find it off hand, I remember seeing a Video on U tube. It was a exact replica of a WWI a/c or a WWI a/c built the same way as made them ( Ni or camel ) with a cockpit cam.

Anyway a gas leak started as the pilot was firing the guns and you could see a small flame start up. Luckly the pilot smack it with his gloves ( puting it out ) and landed. Someone in the vedio or someone commented about it stated that " it was common to have those things happen or the a/c just fall apart. I will Look this week maybe I can find it and post it here.

I think the video you are referring to was from Old Rhinebeck. If'n I remember correctly the fuel fire occurred in a Camel.

Beard

Thanks HPW. As with Lothar's latest mod offering, I will be giving yours a go as well once my two longest surviving pilots are done, (however that may come about for them).

All righty then!

The update of the DM to 1.25 has been submitted for approval and should be available in the downloads section within an hour or two. I hope you like most of the changes. Installation instructions and a summary of some of the major changes are below. Perhaps the most major change was made to the "threshold values" for pilots and observers so that both now have a "break" level of 75% instead of 100%. I am very interested to hear if this seems to have any effect on the likelihood of pilot wounds--both fatal and non-fatal--to both human and AI pilots. I think it does. Let me know if it seems overdone to you. The other big change was to the engine values and both the likelihood of fires and the overall special effects of fires and explosions. Be sure to let me know how you like it and if you see any oddness. And above everything else--have fun out there!

INSTALLATION: Important! This version of the damage mod is intended to be used only along with Jonesoft's Generic Mod Enabler and should not be installed UNLESS JSGME has already been installed into your OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. With JSGME, installation and use of this, or any mod, is very easy. Simply extract the contents of the zip file into the MODS folder which is created when you install JSGME into your OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. The mod is correctly installed if you see this readme.txt and the following folder structure inside the MODS folder: HPW_UltimateDM_1.25\aircraft\Alb_DIII_AC1, AC2, etc. To load the mod, simply run JSGME, highlight the HPW_UltimateDM_1.25 mod, click on the top button, and then start your game. That's it!

------------

Version History

--Engine hit points adjusted for all aircraft for a better balance between scouts and two-seaters. Most scout engines have a few more hit points, while most two-seater engines have slightly fewer.

--Engine threshold values adjusted for all aircraft. Camel and Dr1 slightly less likely to catch fire, Albatros series more likely to catch fire than in version 1.1. ALL aircraft WILL catch fire eventually if hit hard enough. Fx_airexplosion and fx_enginefire moved from center fuel tank to engine, resulting in more realistic engine fires and explosions.

--Fuel tank hit points for most aircraft raised slightly.

--Fuel leaks adjusted so some aircraft--especially Albatros series--do not spring major fuel leaks as quickly as before. Small fuel leaks slightly more likely, however.

--Minor adjustments to hit points for wings and wing tips on almost all aircraft. Wings on most two-seaters are somewhat weaker (exception: Roland's wings approximately 10% stronger). Wings and wing tips for Fokker Dr1 and Se5a's somewhat stronger.

--Minor adjustments to ailerons, elevators, and horizontal stabilizers on some aircraft.

--"Break" level for pilot and observer reduced from 100% to 75% to see if this results in greater chance of pilot injury or death.

--More thorough testing of all aircraft to insure better game balance.

Thanks HPW. As with Lothar's latest mod offering, I will be giving yours a go as well once my two longest surviving pilots are done, (however that may come about for them).

Installing the new DM should have no effect on your already existing pilots and campaigns, so it should be safe to go ahead and install it. You can always revert back to 1.1 if you don't like 1.25.

pretty long 2 hours my friend. still nothing available yet :blink:

oh well, stupid me. seems it's pretty modern lately to update old mods instead of uploading it new :cool: .

now i've lost one precious day of trying the new DM, waiting for it instead of just reading correctly :blink:

Edited by Creaghorn

Just a friendly reminder that version 1.25 is a NEW version of my Ultimate damage model. You can certainly still use version 1.1, but I really do think that the new version is much better than 1.1--especially for the fire effects and the better balance between scouts and two-seaters.

Also, the mod works best if you set the forward gun accuracy to Hard. I've found that Normal and Easy produce too many easy kills.

Thanks. We now return you to your regular program... :cool:

Thanks again for your modding efforts! :drinks:

Is Lima's Arcmod included, or is there a separate download somewhere?

Lima's mod should be ready very soon, maybe today.

When it's ready, just install it on top of DM 1.25. JSGME will display a warning, but you can safely ignore it. If you want to uninstall my mod later, just be sure to uninstall Lima's mod first.

Incidentally, you can also use Lima's mod on top of version 1.1 of my DM. The two-seaters will have the changes contained in DM 1.25, but the scouts will still be using version 1.1.

ArcMod with HPW's 1.25 DM just uploaded and awaiting mod approval; thanks to HPW for producing this version, which enables the new DM and the increased 2-seater arcs of fire to be in use at the same time. Must be enabled (by JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) AFTER and ON TOP OF the full 1.25 DM, ignoring the over-write warnings.

I think the video you are referring to was from Old Rhinebeck. If'n I remember correctly the fuel fire occurred in a Camel.

Beard

By Golly U R Right Thanks

Congrats on the improved mod, HPW. You've already got more downloads for 1.25 than I have for OFFbase in three weeks.

Iv'e just downloaded it m8..wont get a chance to try it for a couple of days..but I'll give you some feedback when i do...thank you for your contribution ... we DO appreciate it :drinks:

Congrats on the improved mod, HPW. You've already got more downloads for 1.25 than I have for OFFbase in three weeks.

To be fair, I think that includes the downloads for both 1.1 and 1.25, so I'm not so far ahead of you as you might think, Lothar. :wink:

Even if true, it would be a shame, because you have written a really great program that can only get better. I think I have about reached the limit of what I can do with the DM.

Iv'e just downloaded it m8..wont get a chance to try it for a couple of days..but I'll give you some feedback when i do...thank you for your contribution ... we DO appreciate it :drinks:

Thank you, WM, for the thanks! I DO appreciate it, too!

(I'll ignore the fact that you won't be able to try it for a few days because you can't tear yourself away from that new RPG game--what's its name, again??) :lol: