Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

Is P4 getting a sound overhaul?

Very good, Herr Olham. And I'll bet that on your 1st grade report card under 'Comments', it said "Always pleasant. Offers to help other children when they need it. Follows rules."

On mine it simply said "Smartass".

I feel like you guys are playing a different game than me sometimes, either that or your rose colored glasses are far more effective than mine.

P3 offers the single player that rise of flight never will, that's what I like about it. That just doesn't change that this is built around CFS3. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but I've been running into so many problems and janky things in game that it makes me very jaded towards towards the game and I can't help that.

Regardless, I appreciate the help.

We're all happy to help out when we can, RP. As to OFF for me, I came from Red Baron 3D, so this sim is worlds ahead of that classic WWI air war sim. RoF is not an option for me, not only because my system is unable to run it at anything above the most basic settings, but also because my IP out here in the boonies is stone age and I get booted constantly. As far as OFF using the CFS3 engine, while it does do that I find it pretty damned amazing what the devs have been able to squeeze out of that old beasty.

But then, as Albert pointed out all those years ago, it's all relative.

We'll just have to have faith in the devs' ability to improve things for OFF2. P3 is far from perfect, but as a whole, it's still the best WW1 sim I've played. I don't have to wear any rose-coloured glasses to say that.

Criticism is fine, but it really helps to be polite and constructive about it.

Yes and I think that's where the problem lies, seems most of you maybe migrated to OFF from an older game, where as I played ROF, Cliffs of dover, IL2 and various other games before I bothered to try this one. It does a lot of cool stuff, I love the claims system and just the huge amount of content for single player; it's not doubt a great game.

Hey, Lou - no reason for getting cheeky with me, "smartass"! :focus:

(I always wanted to use this Smiley).

I never had a "1st grade report card" - I think... don't even know what it is???

But you're right somehow. When I tried to defend an obviously mentally fragile soldier

against the sadism of our Captain, the Capt shouted me out of his office saying:

"Ah, Obergefreiter Mahlo - wearing your Jesus sandals again today?!"

Edited by Olham

Back in the 1950's I had several rides in a PT 17 and do remember the engine and wind sounds. From what my old brain remembers, the noise was so loud that hearing anything else around would have been imposable. We had our leather helmets on which also dampened the sound.

While increasing speed in a dive the pilot would cut the RPM and then the wind and wire noise did sound "cool".

Having several parachute jumps( most of them HALO and with round canopies---- I did say I was old right ) the sound during the free fall is very loud but after opening it gets very quiet and you can hear more from the ground then you think you ever would.

I don't have a problem with the sounds in OFF. I don't think they're realistic to an actual aircraft, (that's impossible), but they are certainly good enough to suspend belief and convince yourself that you are in an aircraft. Ironically, if you had real sounds piped in, I suspect that they would feel extremely unrealistic, and would damage your eardrums to boot.

What I don't understand is the comparison with other flight sims. What dozen sims are you referring to? Because all my Il2 derivatives, Forgotten Battles, 1946 etc, sound like you're flying into battle in sewing machines. Battle of Britain wasn't much better, Wings of Prey wasn't very impressive either. ROF I can't remember, I haven't had it installed for some time now. Come to think about, OFF sounds aren't really bad at all, and at least there is some thought been put into the engine sounds, AND and admin function to let you adjust it if you don't like it.

Case not proven in my mind Redpiano, not by a long shot. What Sim do you consider has the best sound effects? I'll likely have it and give it a go for comparison.

Be aware too, CFS3 is an 'older' game, and you can edit the sound files as you like. I used to love the sound of my Merlins cranked up to 11 and ripping tears in the sky. They didn't really sound like Merlins of course, but they sounded powerful and distinctive enough to put a grin on my face.

If you don't like the OFF sounds, sample some sound you do approve of, and we'll give them a go.

Yes, it's not like the last flight sim we all played was Red Baron 1 back in 1990, and then we discovered OFF P3 almost two decades later and felt like we had died and gone to flight sim heaven. I have RoF (and Cliffs of Dover, but it's not a WW1 sim) and while I really like it, it's seriously lacking in the single player department. That's what OFF does best.

Could the engine sounds in OFF be better? Absolutely. Are they awful? No, not even close.

Yes and I think that's where the problem lies, seems most of you maybe migrated to OFF from an older game, where as I played ROF, Cliffs of dover, IL2 and various other games before I bothered to try this one. It does a lot of cool stuff, I love the claims system and just the huge amount of content for single player; it's not doubt a great game.

It takes a lot of adjusting, you're used to doing things a little bit differently, and off is a separate and different experience. We have current and former rof players, who i'm sure can help you to adjust.

The problem with OFF's sound is it all sounds as though it came from a youtube video, I can even link you a video or two that I think they got the sound from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5mvfK-J1KE -OFF's se5a

http://www.youtube.c...4AXnjNM-y_c -the video is sounds exactly like (skip to 1:00)

You might say "oh well of course it sounds the same, it's the same engine, it's supposed to. Yes that's a good point, but OFF's sound, sounds like it's directly cut from a youtube video and that sucks to me, it totally takes me out of the experience. Besides that, just the..."soundscape?" of the whole game doesn't match specifically because each different engine sounds like it came from a different youtube video recorded with a different microphone, so nearly every sound in the game sounds unnatural.

There are some I don't mind, like the N11's engine sounds alright.

Edited by redpiano
  • Dislike 1

Well, as it was said some ten posts ago: the sounds will be new in OFF II.

I don't get you Redpiano. I might agree, OFF's SE5 sounds like it was sampled from a real SE5 engine. I don't know what you want. An SE5 that doesn't sound like an SE5?

It's extremely difficult to take a sample of a sound of a real live engine in a given state, and use that sample as a loop to be the standard sound effect for an engine through all it's stresses and strains in a simulator. Having the sound of a real SE5 featuring centrally in the mix is a fantastic place to start from, and love it or hate it, it adds a layer of authenticity which no other Sim even comes close to doing. If you don't 'get' that, then there's an awful lot of stuff in OFF that's just going to go right over your head.

You might well think it's naff, but you're not really looking, and I mean it with friendly intentions, but you're also running the risk of offending some people whom most of us hold in very regard.

The problem with OFF's sound is it all sounds as though it came from a youtube video, I can even link you a video or two that I think they got the sound from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5mvfK-J1KE -OFF's se5a

http://www.youtube.c...4AXnjNM-y_c -the video is sounds exactly like (skip to 1:00)

You might say "oh well of course it sounds the same, it's the same engine, it's supposed to. Yes that's a good point, but OFF's sound, sounds like it's directly cut from a youtube video and that sucks to me, it totally takes me out of the experience. Besides that, just the..."soundscape?" of the whole game doesn't match specifically because each different engine sounds like it came from a different youtube video recorded with a different microphone, so nearly every sound in the game sounds unnatural.

There are some I don't mind, like the N11's engine sounds alright.

Firstly we dont rip sounds from you tube videos.

Secondly that video is about a year old - we released OFF a long time before that....

Thirdly I think you have made your point - I can accept that you dont like the sounds in OFF - now to keep repeating it ad nauseum is wearing thin.

Please tread carefully - we have had enough of slight of hand accusations and I will not stand for it.

WM

It adds a layer of authenticity, maybe, it doesn't change that it sounds like it was a cut and paste from a youtube video. I don't know where I'm not "looking" in order to enjoy the hodge podge of sound in this game, I've spoken to other people about OFF and they think the same things I think about it; the lot of you are the only ones I've seen try to shoot down some of these criticisms.

OK then, I'm done with this thread. On to bigger and better things. All the best RP.

The question was is the sound getting an overhaul for P4 / OFF2 - and the answer is yes it is getting an overhaul. Move on. There are some great sounds in OFF that we are very pleased with yes here and there we can improve (did we mention we are working on OFF2?)

Anyway this is closed point made, question answered.