was a busy day overall in the air war over NV, with many pilots getting kills in. Cunningham getting his final 3 was the icing on the cake.

OOPPSS:)Can any of the admins correct this please, from 30 to 40 years, wyhile i was driving to the office i realized my mystake, thanks:)

Edited by FLOGGER23

40 years.....

:salute:

SidDogg

Duke and Willy Driscoll in their prime.

Sadly, Cunningham now resides in prison for being a corrupt politician.

Equally important: On that same day, Oyster flight scored two kills with BVR Sparrow shots, but Robert "Bob" Lodge was shot down and killed trying to score another and his WSO, Roger Locher, survived on the ground for a long time before he was finally recovered by SAR. Another pilot/wso team in Oyster flight got a kill at the same time: Steve Ritchie and Chuck DeBellevue, both future USAF aces.

May 10, 1972: "the most active single day of air combat over North Vietnam". It is the "Tet Offensive" of the air. "338 missions were flown by U.S. aircraft over the North. Sixteen planes on both sides were shot down; U.S. forces lost only four." Inexplicably, the North Vietnamese threw everything into the air that day.

There is an old book: http://www.amazon.com/One-Day-Long-War-Vietnam/dp/0394576225

Duke and Willy Driscoll in their prime.

Sadly, Cunningham now resides in prison for being a corrupt politician.

Shame on him, he knew better. Now I am torn on this subject. He deserves all of what he got but, a true war hero is rotting away in a federal prison. His health is in serious decline, he may not make it to his release date.

Edited by MAKO69

Equally important: On that same day, Oyster flight scored two kills with BVR Sparrow shots, but Robert "Bob" Lodge was shot down and killed trying to score another and his WSO, Roger Locher, survived on the ground for a long time before he was finally recovered by SAR. Another pilot/wso team in Oyster flight got a kill at the same time: Steve Ritchie and Chuck DeBellevue, both future USAF aces.

May 10, 1972: "the most active single day of air combat over North Vietnam". It is the "Tet Offensive" of the air. "338 missions were flown by U.S. aircraft over the North. Sixteen planes on both sides were shot down; U.S. forces lost only four." Inexplicably, the North Vietnamese threw everything into the air that day.

There is an old book: http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/0394576225

Don't forget the third kill by Oyster Flight on 5-10-72 scored by Pilot John Markle and WSO Stephen Eaves!

Edited by warthog64

30 Years ago.....1982 :blink:

Craig

Any notable events in the South Atlantic on this day in 1982?

Any notable events in the South Atlantic on this day in 1982?

Wow, I guess it has been 30 years since HMS Sheffield was lost along with 20 of her brave crewmen. :salute:

Edited by warthog64

Wow, I guess it has been 30 years since HMS Sheffield was lost along with 20 of her brave crewmen. :salute:

Hit on May 4th, foundered under tow on May 10th, 30 years ago today.

:salute:

In one of the few surface actions since the end of WW2 HMS Alacrity sank the ARA Islas de los Estados with 4.5" gunfire of Swan island.

Craig

Thanks to the admin who took the time to fix this post:)