Geezer

Hi-Res FE Ground Objects Question

Having found my old backups of FE stuff, I thought I'd ask the community about some hi-res ground objects that were among the old backups. These are airfield facilities that were deliberately made to push the envelope. The anti-aircraft models are fairly low poly and use small size bmps for artwork, but the airfield objects are higher-poly and use large bmps for artwork.

They should still run on the FE2 game engine, but not everybody's computer will be able to handle the higher work load. If most of the guys still playing FE2 have old, low horsepower computers, there is little point in putting in the effort to release the ground objects. So....how many guys have fairly recent computers? Not uber computers, just healthy ones?

I too have a decent PC/Video card (2009) to fly FE2. What you release is what I will use. :air_kiss:

The biggest CPU/GPU hog in FE2 is shadows. Reduce or turn them off and you would be supprised just how high you can set everything else in the graphics options.

Edited by Panama Red

wow very cool airfield objects Geezer, look forward to DL'in um :biggrin:

same here so far I have just about everything set at the max and the game plays pretty good.

Sounds encouraging. IIRC, ground objects can have a LOD0 (close up object) and a LOD1 (distant object). The ground object LOD1s are designed to cut the art and poly workload by around 50%, so they should work OK. I have some additional models that are not yet mapped and textured - after finishing the pilots, I'll work on both the AA stuff and expand the airfield ground objects.

Looks like FE2 can also use some additional vehicles for atmosphere? What else? When the old team was working on the AA stuff, we tried making duckboards work but weren't successful. The ground sloped too much - one end would be above ground level while the other end would be below ground level. Damn shame, really - the Western Front was notorious for mud.

Also, the altitude gap between AA machine guns and AA cannons was filled with light auto cannons of around 37mm. The Maxim "pom-pom" was used by both sides, so German and British versions were developed to add historical realism to AA defenses. Guns such as this were responsible for the "flaming onions" described by many pilots.

• Like 2

my personal prefference would be to have AAA with crews. While the third wire AAA lories are nice it just kills the atmosphere to see no one manning them. After AAA vehicles and airfield elements(hangers,workshops,crews and mechanices strolling about etc.) would be really nice to have.

My PC could handle this stuff too. Would be nice to add more ground objects. I like the open large hangars. I could put a couple of "Parked" planes in there. I like to populate my airfields with lots of stuff. Damn nice of you Geezer to work on this stuff. Too bad the developers arent into it as much anymore as much as we are.

my personal prefference would be to have AAA with crews. While the third wire AAA lories are nice it just kills the atmosphere to see no one manning them. After AAA vehicles and airfield elements(hangers,workshops,crews and mechanices strolling about etc.) would be really nice to have.

My PC could handle this stuff too. Would be nice to add more ground objects. I like the open large hangars. I could put a couple of "Parked" planes in there. I like to populate my airfields with lots of stuff. Damn nice of you Geezer to work on this stuff. Too bad the developers arent into it as much anymore as much as we are.

Yeah, its too bad that Third Wire isn't interested in FE2 any more - looks like TK has to focus on profitability to survive? That leaves it to us to improve the sim.

As I've already made a number of figures and buildings, I'll continue on this theme to improve airfield atmosphere - more workshops, support vehicles, and ground crews. I am a 3D model and texture guy who does not enjoy the final phase of production - setting up the various files and then play testing. Is anyone interested in assisting me?

• Like 2

Great stuff Geezer, Im the same skinning takes all my spare time & I never get a chance to do anything like Testing in FE, But Im sure you will get plenty of help with the setting up & testing from the guys :biggrin:

good to see you back, Geezer!!

i remember a few years back when you started posting these.

they'll be welcome additions for ANY FE/SF install!!

good to see you back, Geezer!!

i remember a few years back when you started posting these.

they'll be welcome additions for ANY FE/SF install!!

Thanks - its good to be back. Yes, many of the FE ground objects will be suitable for SF. Searching through my old backups, I've also found some 1930s/WW2 hangars and buildings, in addition to many vehicles.

getting them 'in game' is actually the easy part ...well, for me anyway. I'm overwhelmed with jealousy at ALL the 3D Guys ™.

I wrote a little tutorial on 'how too...' some time ago.

http://combatace.com/topic/44621-adding-objects-to-your-target-areas/

the only difference here is, you need to add the object to the terrain's _types.ini first, place the objects (lod, bmp/tga/shd/ini) into the terrain folder and go from there.

EXEPETION: vehicles get placed in the /GroundObject folder, with their required 'parts'; expecially a data ini, as they can show up on ArmedRecon missions as targets

any questions on how or what, just ask! I'm not too far away