Sign in to follow this  
Dave

You All Have To Play This!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wargame:_European_Escalation

$9.99 on sale at Steam with free DLC's. Its aweosme. Then I saw this coming soon:

http://wargameeuropeanescalation.wikia.com/wiki/Wargame:_AirLand_Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YFSPfq2SlUk

Try it fellas, its Cold War at its finest.

Already have it but spent precious little time with it.

It truly is a good master strategy game. It feels different at first, but its glorious!

Damn, that looks insanely awesome!

I didn't see much in terms of the interface...is it similar in gameplay to Company of Heroes?

FC

allways was tempted by it... off to buy then!

thanks for heads up

I bet 20 bucks, Soon to be infested with COD and BF players

• Like 1

If they haven't yet, they aren't going to be...it's been around for several months.

This isn't an FPS or RPG...it's a wargame with RTS elements.

FC

damn you Dave! 7,7 GB install as Steam says... with my connection should be ready for Christmas :smile:

I saw this earlier this year but wasn't sure but now that our lord and master has said it's good then we shall submit... :lol: Seriously I have been wondering about this one... but I like what I have seen of the new one as well must admit would like to see the interface though...

Ugh... Cold War era F-15s kitted out with AIM-9Xs. Hate it when they cut corners like that. Looks good though. Cold War Crisis and World in Conflict laid the ground work for this a long time ago. Had either continued (or been allowed to continue) this would have been the natural progression of the RTT genre. Good to see someone's furthering it!

Edited by SayWhatt

I've started reading reviews on it and all of them have been positive.

From what I've been able to gather...it is a wargame (say like Combat Mission), but played out like an RTS. Gameplay is similar to Company of Heroes, where either outright destruction of the enemy or capturing of various areas matter. There is no resource building per se...you have to be much more focused on resupply and repair of your forces. Also, there isn't much micromanagement of units...they tend to be pretty smart. Your job seems to be to get them where they need to be to be most effective. Arty is only good with good recon, command vehicles are very valuable...

Again, this is only based on what I've been able to gather so far. I'm scouring the various reviews and forums to get a truer take on what it entails.

Damn you Dave for bringing this up!

FC

Sounds interesting, I still play Cold War Crisis so definitely interested in something like that only newer :good:

• Like 1

downloading from Steam, will have something apart from Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (yeah, I know I'm slow...) for the holiday break :ok:

Combat Mission... loved the first ones back in the days. The modern one never got to me somehow, and the new WW2 I lost interest in (too much WW2!!! give me Korea or fictional 60s Cold War!)

Well here is my goal. Enough of us get it and we play MP together. That way we learn together and avoid the douche bags.

• Like 1

I tried Combat Mission back in the day...but I couldn't do the turn-based thing where I could do nothing for 60 seconds while my orders were executed.

Those were LONG 60 seconds...especially when I screwed up!

Stary, don't feel bad...I've only now finished Bioshock, Chronicles of Riddick:Assault on Dark Athena.

In the middle of HL2:EP2 and DX:HR. Just started Tomb Raider: Annversary.

Yea, I'm a bit behind....

FC

Ugh... Cold War era F-15s kitted out with AIM-9Xs.

how is that wrong?

AIM-9X is post-Cold War by about 10 years.

oh I thought this was set in present time

I looked at this before and should have bought it back then.

Additional motivation of the sale price tips the scale.

Love the time frame.

Well downloaded it and will start the warm up sessions, single player. looks kinda fun to be honest...

It is very fun. Reminds me of Sudden Strike, except NATO/Warsaw Pact instead of Allies vs Axis.

Since I didn't read the manual and just started playing by experience with similar games, I missed a little detail: I was given points I could spend on additional units.

I thought the beginner mission was a little hard for beginners, but after many tries, I nearly got a perfect score.

It was when I tried the 2nd mission unlocked by winning the 1st mission that I realized I was doing something wrong.

I was outnumbered even worse than before and couldn't even begin to meet the victory conditions.

But now that I know how to spend points, I am overwhelmed by the volume of information.

Too many units to control and attacks coming from too many directions at the same time.

Having played all the games of the Sudden Strike series and Company of Heroes, I actually prefer playing Steel Beasts Pro PE.

In SB, you design your battle plan on the map prior to combat.

It is tedious and time consuming, but if you do it right, the AI moves and fights like a well oiled machine...

Or at least well enough that I can focus on one important area and know that the AI will do their best to hold their ground until I can assess their situation and revise their plan.

But this "Wargame" looks great, has a really clean interface, and plays fast and fun as opposed to SB which I hardly play due to time constraints.