Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

War Thunder ?

Okay I gave in I don't usually play online games but this weekend thought I would give it a go... and found to my surprise it is fun in a don't think about it way so far I am running round in RAF and managed to get a few ranks and there are some interesting aircraft in there... looks like I know what I am going to be playing for awhile... though I have worked out I am no fighter pilot in there either but give me an attack bomber and I do okay...

Even splashed out a grand total of €13 and purchased a couple of the planes and like them both A-20 and the Wirraway and they are both fun to drive around in and the later is good at surprising people with it's rear gun...

I've got a few levels under my belt as well, not a bad game for free. Takes a bit getting used to the pace, but it's okay.

what exactly is it?SF2 level arcade, or generic ace-combat style?

It's more Arcade style... and with aircraft from the early 1930's up until about 1950 Hawker Furies up to Sabre's and Mig-15's... it is mainly aimed at dogfighting with ground attack thrown in for fun. Or in my case it's Ground Attack with Dogfighting thrown in for fun...

It's a WW2 game, kind of like IL-2 Sturmovik. The player chooses what country to fight for, and is givin date appropriate planes from that country to fly given the start year, 193x. It is not possible, therefore to fly Zeros as Americans, or Me109s as Italians. The maps are not always so small. The general game play is to use ground attack to achieve map domination in most situations. There's dogfighting to keep the attackers alive. If the enemy base is destroyed, it's an automatic win. It is possible to unlock upgrades to your plane by giving it +"x" damage to machine guns for example. There are different models of the planes and if you lose one, you cannot use the same model again in the same battle, getting shot down in an upgraded P-36C, respawns in basic P-36A or B, your choice. Unlocks include new plane models, paint schemes and slogans. You can buy the plane models if you want to, but otherwis it's free to play.

Oh yeah, fly by 3rd person (chase) or cockpit.

Edited by TeargasHorse

Wow, you guys play, too?

Just got my B-25J last week, been on this for half a year. You can actually make it more realistic by turning off some of th interface. If you want a REAL challenge, only play Full Real Battles for Instant action. Full simulator difficulty with engine controls, trim, etc. Ever since the new 1.29 came out, new features allow for more realism during combat, such as refined FMs, better customization options in-menu, modified blast radii for bombs, etc. It's basically a continuation of Birds of Steel, except Gaijin Ent. is taking this ball and ROLLING with it. I recommend everyone and ANYONE who flies D n D's to give this a shot. They won't be disappointed.....

:good:

SidDogg

• Like 1

I've been dying for something like this ever since the servers for Fighter Ace were shutdown around 3 years ago. I've been keeping an eye on it, but my computer just shat itself a few days ago... :(

Name in the game is RazorFive

Keep an eye out!

• Like 1

Oh yeah mine is Beeble... after Zaphod Beeblebrox... Must admit I am having a blast flying the Bombers as I am not too great with the fighters and I have more Air to Air kills with my bombers than fighters and had an amusing time chasing a Beaufort around with my Havoc...

Edited by Slartibartfast

And there's a new one added today!

• Like 1

And there's a new one added today!

Dave can finally fly his pony!!!

And another one what are you all using for controllers ? I am trying to use my usual flight stick but from what I hear there are a lot of people who seem to be achieving better using mouse and keyboard...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Rayden is my nick... preferred servers are EU and RU...

Just got my P-47 Thunderbolt today. Preferred nations to fly with are US and Japan. Best maneuverability in my opinion; US planes have better armor.

Worst in my opinion are the germans and the russian (!) planes. Exclamation mark because Gaijin is a russian company and these companies normally tend to OP their "material", just like in World of Tanks, which I am fed of. Brit planes will never be my favs. Can't manage to get kills with'em.

My current ranks:

US 9

GER 7

USSR 9

GB 5

JAP 8

• Like 2

My preferred at present is the British... I may not get many Air to Air Kills (mostly accidental)... but I am happier dropping bombs and then trying to get out of trouble... Currently in the Brits I am level 6 with Beaufighters and my 2 weapons of choice a Havoc and a Beaufort... The later seems to eat fighters for breakfast...

• Like 1

What are the game specifications? Found nothing on WT website.

My computer is old and outdated. 2.8GHz single core.

Would this be eough to play this game?

• Like 1

What are the game specifications? Found nothing on WT website.

My computer is old and outdated. 2.8GHz single core.

Would this be eough to play this game?

It seems no-one has an idea what the Specs are to be honest. I am running on a 4 core 3.2 Athlon Black with 4 gigs ram and a 1gig HD5670. All my kit is around 3 years old or so and it zips along at a good rate. Might be an idea to download and see if it runs... best I can suggest.

• Like 1

Well I have switched sides now and managed to get to level 4 with the Germans... and just seeing whats what... will get myself to level 6 and then take on either the US or the Japanese not sure which yet...

Hi, just started playing this over last weekend, currently playing as the British, just got to rank 3.

I too don't seem to be much of a dog fighter, I haven't tried being an attacker or bomber yet.

Christ the arcade battles are total furballs, never played any online combat flight sims before and human opponents are a darn site trickier than Thirdwire a.i.

I'm using the nickname Red_Kite. That will be the one being shot to peices.

• Like 1

Hi, just started playing this over last weekend, currently playing as the British, just got to rank 3.

I too don't seem to be much of a dog fighter, I haven't tried being an attacker or bomber yet.

Christ the arcade battles are total furballs, never played any online combat flight sims before and human opponents are a darn site trickier than Thirdwire a.i.

I'm using the nickname Red_Kite. That will be the one being shot to peices.

You should be able to fly the Blenheim now I think and then the Beaufort... give them a go and don't forget to upgrade your gunners...

Well I have switched sides now and managed to get to level 4 with the Germans... and just seeing whats what... will get myself to level 6 and then take on either the US or the Japanese not sure which yet...

Take the US. Japs are good in the first ranks because of their maneuverability, but they all have paper armor. The US planes are only a bit less maneuverable but they take more hits until they go down.

Well I was thinking of the Russians next as they have an interesting Tech tree... but saying that got to level 5 last night and got the Ju-88A-4 and damn that thing is fun to fly provided there are no Beaufighters roaming around to chew you apart...

Well I'm still playing this though only once or twice a week due to work commitments so progress is slow.

Still sticking with the Brits and unfortunately my dog fighting skills have not improved much. I am quite enjoying the bombers though.

Can you form squadrons (clans), if there was enough interest we could maybe form a CombatACE one at some point?

• Like 1

CA_Stary in War Thunder...

still, air quake for kids with deeper wallets than this writer here

Well I must admit Stary I am having fun with it and my favourite plane to run around in is not even one of the premiums its the Ju-88 and I rack up large amounts of xp in it... and its only a level 4 bomber!!

• Like 1

Slarti all my ranks, medals and planes from year ago were erased when it went from closed beta to open, so I'm back at level 1, now with some Gladiators... Don't have time to level up :sad:

Well I am a bad fighter pilot but a better bomber pilot and it was a pain to go from the early levels in just fighters but in bombers I am not doing too bad... just I have spread my XP across all the nations which means even though I am level 9 in the Luftwaffe I still havn't upgraded my bombers too much from the 88... but to be honest I like it and its fun to kill fighters with it...