Is it just me, or is the yield on our nukes woefully limited? If our target is near an airfield, hitting the airfield itself ought to obliterate it, shouldn't it?

I started using nukes so that I could drop the sucker in the general vicinity of the target from 30,000 and not have to worry about ground fire!

Or am I totally overestimating the yield of our tactical nuclear weapons? Or is this more of a practical limitation? Y'know, keeping me from nuking myself out of the sky (which I did with one of the nuclear A/A missiles... oops)?

(I'll bet the Russkies have high-yield tactical nukes...)

TAC nuke by nature are not supposed to have a high yield.

But in game it is what you stated to keep from fragging yourself.

While we're on the topic of self-fragging, I seem to be having trouble with the nuclear A/A missiles.

Every so often, they'll fail to guide and detonate within killing range of... well, me. Is this me shooting outside of optimum firing parameters or were these things just really really unreliable (they were, if I recall correctly, made by the same folk who made the AIM-4, which damaged more Phantoms than they did MiGs according to Roger Clinton, 8TFW crew chief)?

Yes always shoot WELL within the parameters for the guidence. I don't even try to take a guess if I think it is a goodl ock. To keep from fragging myself I make sure I have a good soild lock.

This is the main reason I have not tried to make myself a nuclear phoenix. There are just

times where the finicky little rascals just don't want to guide. You can see when.

If it comes off the rails, and just scoots along, it's gonna self-destruct!

If it goes out, and twitches a bit like it just woke up, you have a winner. I think it's one of the

coolest immersion factors in this game. Saying a litlle "please guide" prayer as you hit the

pickle button! :biggrin:

With a nuke attached, the prayers would be extremely fervent! :blink:

Is it possible to edit it so that it won't self-destruct until it's out of lethal range? I highly doubt that the ACTUAL missiles behaved like that.

Is it possible to edit it so that it won't self-destruct until it's out of lethal range?  I highly doubt that the ACTUAL missiles behaved like that.

Non nuclear missile will self destruct if they no long track, but usually go ballistic then destruct. Nuclear missiles do not self destruct on their own. If they loose track they just fall to earth. Which is better that it cooking off.

I have been having major problems with deployment of these weapons as well. Is there any way we could ever actually USE the LABS timer on the A-4 de deliver these weapons? Would be a cool delivery method and make up for the lack of challenge in simply vaporizing an enemy airfield.

Wea ll wish LABS timer worked but it dont.

Has anyone tried the LABS method with these weapons without using the timer? I dont know how useful it would be since these are high-drag and if I recall the weapons used with LABS originally were not so as to acheieve the furthest distance. For that matter they also used a charge to push the eapon away from the aircraft, and SFP1 appears to rely on gravity. I am just waiting for someone to develop a nuclear stand-off weapon in one of the weapons packs. it would be cool somebody make a fictional Skybolt or something of that nature.

The AGM-69A SRAM is absolutely too much fun!

I recommend against it... :)

I have not come across that particular weapon. What aircraft is it compatible with? What weapon pack is it in? I confess that I am having a really hard time figuring out how to get all the weapons to work (that grenade launcher simply will not work on an F-4E). Doesnt help that I had to reformat due to a virus and have been re-downloading all the add-on stuff.

It is in the newest weapons pack, and compatible with the F-111F Aardvark,

and FB-111A Switchblade. Both excellent add-on aircraft, but I'm biased...

It is in the newest weapons pack, and compatible with the F-111F Aardvark,

and FB-111A Switchblade. Both excellent add-on aircraft, but I'm biased...

I'm new to the forum and am researching nuke options (worked on nukes for my entire military career, and around FB-111, F-16 , and B-1B). SRAM was used only on FB-111A (F-111G), B-52G and H, and B-1B.

So, with that in mind can someone inform me what "nukes" we have available in game or as a download?

I'll see what I can come up with regarding deployments in '62, '68, and so forth (unclassified, of course)

Yours, Mike

I'm new to the forum and am researching nuke options (worked on nukes for my entire military career, and around FB-111, F-16 , and B-1B). SRAM was used only on FB-111A (F-111G), B-52G and H, and B-1B.

So, with that in mind can someone inform me what "nukes" we have available in game or as a download?

I'll see what I can come up with regarding deployments in '62, '68, and so forth (unclassified, of course)

Yours, Mike

AFAIK there are no nukes in the stock SFP1/WOV/WOE, but the WeaponsPack has plenty of nukes (mostly Bombs like the Mk43, B61, B83, but also CGRs like the SRAM or Tomahawk and the AIR-2 Genie.) in it.

Edited by Gocad

Here's a list of tactical air deliverable weapons-

Wings over Europe

Air Delivered Nuclear Weapons

W25/AIR-2A Genie

Mk28EX

Mk28RE

Mk28IN

Mk57

Mk43

W25/AIR-2A Genie

Mk28EX

Mk28RE

Mk28IN

Mk43

W54/AIM-26A Nuclear Falcon

Mk57

Mk61

1970's

B28RE

B43

B57

B61

W72/Nuclear Walleye

Reference- History of the Custody and Deployments of Nuclear Weapons, 1945-1977 (Appendix B)

http://www.nautilus.org/archives/library/s...A/CustodyTb.PDF

Nuclear Weapon Archive

B83 was not deployed in Europe nor was the AGM-86 (but hey, nothing says we can't use them in theater on a B-1, B-2, B-52). Several NATO aircraft were also nuke capable.

Let's not forget the British WE-177. I can provide a list of Soviet nukes if anyone's interested in modding them.

Just ordered my WOE today, so it'll be a few days before I can check out the "nuclear option".

Yours, Mike

USAFE '88-'92

Can SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! No matter how many times I reinstall my WOV copy, I never get the AIM-7 Sparrow Missiles to work!! I've also installed the F-14A TOmcat, and my AiM-54 won't even show on the loadout screen!!! I have every other weapon workin, but It's driving me crazy now....Has anyone had this problem besides me!!!????

Can SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! No matter how many times I reinstall my WOV copy, I never get the AIM-7 Sparrow Missiles to work!! I've also installed the F-14A TOmcat, and my AiM-54 won't even show on the loadout screen!!! I have every other weapon workin, but It's driving me crazy now....Has anyone had this problem besides me!!!????

nope.

wish I could help you but I would only be guessing.

by any chance is that the Iranian F-14A that's here?

Edited by Typhoid

Weird that some nukes are just fireworks show.

Like the russian nuke.

One day I was flying 8 Tu-16s,all with the russian nuke.I ordered then to attack the target (a runway).

Man,it was like the end of the times...The whole SEA map should be burning till today,but northing happened either to the target or to anything in the ground...

But once I dropped an american nuke from a medium altitude,and my plane and more friendly and enemy ones had gone!

nope.

wish I could help you but I would only be guessing.

by any chance is that the Iranian F-14A that's here?

No, it's not the iranian. Actually it doesn't work on any plane I have. Could it be something with WEAPONDATA.ini file, if so, what is it suppose to be?

Well in employing any weapon it helps not to pull Gs before and during the launch phase. Newer generation weapons may or may not mind, but I know weapons from the SF time period will make you pay for it. Get into position, ease off the stick, then release.

Edited by ironroad

Stacks: have you added the weapon text info to the weaponsdataini, and then run the weapons editor to 'save and update' the weaponsdata.dat file???

Just adding the text sections won't do a thing...they have to be run through the editor to 'create' the entry in the dat file.

And as for the Ali-cats, you'll find all the necessary info to update them, and the IIRAF Phantoms, in the Knowledge Base 'Weapons and Loadouts' thread ... I've updated their loads and added several weapons to fill in some blanks. The only ones you won't find in there, are all the Iraqi birds ... those will arrive, fully updated, when the new Desert Storm mod gets re-released.

As for the RDS-4 30kt, it works fine for me...

double check the entry, and make use it's the same as this:

[WeaponData224]

TypeName=RDS-4

FullName=RDS-4 30 kT Bomb

ModelName=RDS-4

Mass=2500.000000

Diameter=0.760000

Length=2.960000

AttachmentType=SOVIET

NationName=SOVIET

StartYear=1955

EndYear=2020

Availability=0

BaseQuantity=2

Exported=FALSE

ExportStartYear=0

ExportEndYear=0

ExportAvailability=0

WeaponDataType=0

RailLaunched=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

Streamlined=TRUE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=FALSE

EffectClassName=NukeExplosionEffect

DragAreaMultiplier=1.000000

WarheadType=14

Explosives=30000.000000

FusingDistance=500.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=0

Accuracy=0

MaxTurnRate=0.000000

MaxLaunchG=0.000000

LockonChance=0

LaunchReliability=0

ArmingTime=0.000000

SeekerFOV=0.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=0.000000

SeekerTrackRate=0.000000

SeekerRange=0.000000

ReleaseAnimationID=-1

EODisplayFlags=0

And make sure you have the nuke effects in your /effect folder.

Wrench

kevin stein

Nukes!! - bloody cheats - they r banned from my install!

I dont like 'em either. Always considered them a weapon of last resort...but they are valid for the time frame. Of course, there's always some nut-job that'll use it instead of Mk.82...like killing flys with a shotgun, instead of a swatter.

Wrench

kevin stein