RAF_Louvert

The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy?

OFFers we were. and OFFers we should remain. I have thought long and hard on this. Although my reasons are well-founded, (on which I will expound fully on a moments notice, or, a cold pint pressed against my palm) I did review the basic tenets of my argument last night, and they were so abstruse, if not flat-out barmy, that I move that my views be adopted without further discussion. If that's not barmy enough for you, what are you doing in this thread? I know, I know, WOFF is coming and big changes face us all. God knows, we all want to be up-to-date and "thoroughly modern", but where would we be if we abandoned our vague, but cherished, core values? The transition will be difficult I'm sure, and long, (about two weeks) but I'm sure that if we hold firm, the young WOFFers coming along will look at us with envy and say, "There go the old dogs. The ones who blazed the trail for us all. Would that I had been there in that early golden dawn!"

Edited by Hauksbee

Hauksbee, well said Sir, well said!  Another cold pint over here for this man, and I add my vote to remain the BOC.

That being said ... "Bwoc bwoc bwoc!" :biggrin:  Yuppers Robert, sounds like how I'd imagine a dodo might sound.  I propose that if we do stay the BOC we none-the-less adopt "Bwoc bwoc bwoc!" as our new call to order.  A cold pint for this gentleman as well!  As to letting women into the club, we've never had anything against the fairer sex signing up, it's just that none ever have which only adds further proof to the idea they are the smarter of the sexes.

The Club was founded as the "Barmy OFFers Club", and that is the name we should keep.

"Over Flanders Fields" got "Wings", and I guess it will be much improved.

But I'd like to think, that we remain the same old barmy lot we used to be.

And I'll drink on that - cheers!

Contact! (tink.. tink... tink...!) Clear!

... "Bwoc bwoc bwoc!"....sounds like how I'd imagine a dodo might sound.

Dodo? I thought it was the sound a pilot makes when upchucking his breakfast, plus a full belly full of beer, chips and sausage over the edge of the cockpit while the engine's warming up. Still, if the notion finds favor with other members, I'll throw my support to it. (tho' it sounds pretty damned barmy to me.)

And...about women in the BOC Mess. The meaning of my "Change the Rules!" was, if a member has a hot date, and the options for the evening are (1) going to a Chamber Music recital at the local cathedral. or, (2) an evening of carousing with we lot, by all means bring her along. But this radical talk of full membership is the barmiest thing yet!

Edited by Hauksbee

Hold on a mo, my fourth pint'a has brought me to an apostrophe!  No need to consider a change of our official club name and for one very good, grammatical sound reason.  The devs have seen fit to officially title their latest mega effort, "WINGS: Over Flanders Fields", which means our beloved sim is still OFF, with it's latest incarnation entitled "WINGS". Thank the God of Punctuation for His most glorious colon!

• Like 1

Barmy is as barmy does.

Point taken...and carried.

Hold on a mo, my fourth pint'a has brought me to an apostrophe!  No need to consider a change of our official club name and for one very good, grammatical sound reason.  The devs have seen fit to officially title their latest mega effort, "WINGS: Over Flanders Fields", which means our beloved sim is still OFF, with it's latest incarnation entitled "WINGS". Thank the God of Punctuation for His most glorious colon!

And another soundobservation! The new Dev's web site is "oveflandersfields", not "wingsoverflandersfields"! Right!!

I've never loved grammar as much as I do right now at this very moment.

Javito;

Good observation! The English language is indispensable to Politicians and Beaurocrats just because of it's ability to reflect obscurity and obfuscation, don't you agree

Beanie, how is it you've never tossed your name in for admittance to our questionable little group?  I've a hunch you would qualify and then some.

I would be honoured to join such a great bunch of fellow lovers of an excellent flying sim.

My wife and daughter have said many times that with the amount of time I spend in front of the computer - flying in OFF, that I am completely barmy - so I would like to throw my hat into the ring.

Thank you and cheers

Edited by Beanie

Heads up, lads, we've got a fresh one, right from the 'Puppy Farm'. Sign him up, collect his dues, before he bolts.

Ah yes, and for the initiation ritual let's add the act if reciting the phrase "BWOC, BWOC, BWOC" heartily three times while simultaneously "QWOFFING" a pint of bitters while suspended upside down by your flying boots! What say you lads!!

The name still works I think BUT if one wanted to change may I suggest the Barmy WOFFicers Club? Regal and militaristic yet still exclusive and entirely pointless.

What happened to my badge of honor on my sig? :search:

Edit: I borrowed Wayfarer's...thank you!

Edited by Shiloh

During duty hours, it's Wings Over Flanders Fields. This is , however the mess, and the only things one commonly sees flying around the room are mugs, chairs, bodies, and on appropriate occasions, the squadron pig. We remain Offers, though few of us are gentlemen

Cheers

Shredward

Hear, hear, well spoken shredward! OFFers always, officers seldom.  Now then, drinks all around on our newest barmy member's tab.  Welcome Beanie!  Bwoc, bwoc, bwoc!  

:drinks:

GASP!  You've lost your BOC badge Shiloh?  And then 'borrowed' one from a fellow BOC member!?  You know the penalty for such a transgression.  No, really, I'm asking, do you know the penalty for such a transgression?  I can't remember.  Ah well, a good dunking, several rounds of drinks on your tab, and a dozen whacks with the cricket bat should cover it.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Thank the God of Punctuation for His most glorious colon!

Worshiping a demi-deity's colon IS barmy... but it's a truly good observation. OFFers we should remain, in my opinion too.

Practically speaking also, I did experiment with the original layered graphic of the badge, replacing the 'O' in the badge with a 'W' and whilst it kinda worked, 'BWC' simply didn't look right, and 'BWOC' looked awful.

I'm all in favour of 'Bwoc Bwoc Bwoc' though, listening to that particular carouser's chorus in the Mess last night was the barmiest thing I'd heard for ages!

• Like 1

As the newest member of this esteemed club – the bar is now open and the drinks are on me.

Now where's my swagger stick and sam browne?

The name still works I think BUT if one wanted to change may I suggest the Barmy WOFFicers Club? Regal and militaristic yet still exclusive and entirely pointless.

I thought it looked as though someone had spilled fermentation on it!

Still, happy it was of use in a crisis.

BWOC, BWOC BWOC, eh!

As the newest member of this esteemed club – the bar is now open and the drinks are on me.

Now where's my swagger stick and sam browne?

Beanie lad, we don't provide you with any kit apart from our spiffing BOC badge.  You'll need to speak to the Quartermaster about the Sam Browne, and the swagger stick is something you must acquire on your own.  I carved mine from the prop of an Eindecker I forced down during one of my very early sorties and it has served me well over the years.  But on to the far more important matter of your offer and open tab.  While it's a bit too early for an ale or stout it is however the perfect time for a hot cuppa' with a touch of sweet cream and two fingers of Tullamore Dew whilest I read this month old copy of the London Times.  Barkeep!

coffee_smilie_003.gif

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Worshiping a demi-deity's colon IS barmy... but it's a truly good observation. OFFers we should remain, in my opinion too.

Practically speaking also, I did experiment with the original layered graphic of the badge, replacing the 'O' in the badge with a 'W' and whilst it kinda worked, 'BWC' simply didn't look right, and 'BWOC' looked awful.

I'm all in favour of 'Bwoc Bwoc Bwoc' though, listening to that particular carouser's chorus in the Mess last night was the barmiest thing I'd heard for ages!

I am not surprised in the least Dej that you had already worked up a few test badges just to see how they might play.  Ever at the ready you are.  And I see you've added an exclamation mark to the 'tink...tink...tink'.  So the great debate continues still eh? :grin:

... And I see you've added an exclamation mark to the 'tink...tink...tink'.  So the great debate continues still eh? :grin:

Non mea culpa est.

I lazily C&P'd Olham's last usage, but I'm in full agreement with you that it is rightly 'Contact! (tink.. tink... tink...) Clear!' Nothing exclamatory about a 'tink' after all.

We'll have to remonstrate with Olham most strongly for his non-canonical whimsy...

Stwike him, Centuwion, vewy woughly!

or 'Naughtius Maxius'

Edited by Beanie