Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Should I get First Eagles 2?

I've been a fan of the Third Wire series for a while now, and First Eagles is the only one I've never played, because I was never too interested in World War I. But, as it is the hundredth anniversary of the start of the Great War, I figure I should start to take an interest and think First Eagles would be a good starting point.

I've looked around at the mods and they've got my interest. Do First Eagles/First Eagles Gold mods have any conflicting issues working in FE2?

Now as I understand it, FE2 is no longer supported by TK. Is that true?

• Like 1

FE2 is definitely worth the meager price TW charges. The fact that TK isn't offering additional patches may actually be a plus. The mods and models are not being broken by new changes introduced with each patch. The models being produced currently are absolutely outstanding work (Thank you Stephen1918!)and all the earlier custom models from FE are easily adapted to work just fine with FE2. The majority of the underlying game code is the same as SF2, so all the tricks that apply to adding various mods are the same. The terrains modders continue to make available are beautiful, and you have more time to enjoy the scenery when you are not moving at the speed of sound. I have all the flight sims TW has released, and I keep finding new things available in FE2 to rekindle my interest. It is all about air warfare at its most basic and pure level. You are not going to get slammed by a Sparrow you never saw, but you might very well go down in a hail of gunfire from an opponent you never expected. The level of interest by the modding community for Fe and FE2 has ebbed and flowed over the years, but right now I think we are experiencing the highest quality mods in the long history of FE and FE2.

• Like 1

Yes

plane and simple

• Like 1

Easy to fly and great mods available - is also 10% off at Thirdwire

Yes

plane and simple

I see what you did there.

I'm just not sure it was deliberate. :blum:

Anyway, I've not spent all that much time flying in recent months, I'd say I spent less time flying in 2013 than any previous year, except maybe 2012! However, when I do I've spent most of my time in DCS and ROF.

Back when I flew more, though, I spent a lot of time in FE2 (I didn't really touch FE too much after I got FE2) for when I wasn't in the "serious" mood for ROF. I don't have the number of planes, terrains, and mods for it I have for SF2, but I still have quite a few and it just works with no hassles.

Edited by JediMaster

Yes I'd say get it. NeverEnough covers it pretty well. Having played OFF and RoF a lot, as well as FEG and FE2, while each does some things best, the latter is IMHO the best current WW1 sim, by a significant margin. WOFF reportedly improves OFF's (have to say it) rather indifferent AI but FE2 already has good AI, plus unbeatable planesets and theatres. FE2's great value - unbeatable, considering the free mods - and doesn't need a highly-specified PC to look great. So even if you're weren't specifically looking for another TW sim, FE2 is a great choice for anyone wishing to experience WW1 in the air.

JM:

I never do things accidently

:biggrin:

Well I bought it. And I like it!

Is there a list of recommended campaigns, terrains, etc laying around?

Hi Viggen

this was discussed here, may help:

http://combatace.com/topic/75108-new-to-this-game/

Of course there's more since then.

It's a fair bit of work to get a modded install with all the goodies set up and running but it's very worthwhile and nothing to the work the modders put in.

What I'd suggest is go for broke - install Ojcar's Armchair Aces Redux campaigm; look at the readme and get/install all the planes and mods needed for it. Apart from a handful of new planes like the new BE2c from Stephen1918, that will bring you up to snuff in one go. Most of what's needed is here at CombatAce; the rest is at the A Team Skunkworks (which has its own, distinctive email registration request process and download rules you need to be careful to observe).

That will give you a WW1 sim covering the air war from 1915 to the end with a planeset nothing else can match. Zip and save your 'mods folder' to disc and you're ready for anything.

From there it's a short step to creating a second FE2 install and adding a few extra planes for Gterl's Italian Theatre and another one for Ojcar's Unsung Heroes floatplane campaign.

The nice thing about Armchair Aces is that it's a series of campaigns and can be installed a little at a time.

May I also suggest the Galicia Terrain and the Eastern Front campaign, this will give you a chance to fly a lot of Russian and Austro-Hungarian planes. 

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 2