whiteknight06604

is cloud starage a viable option?

I know next to nothing about cloud storage. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a company that would allow me to upload my movie,music and a ton of other stuff for storage but allow me to delete in from my computer? I have carbonite for my PC but if i delete files from my computer they are deleted from storage after a month or so...... Any recommendations or suggestions would be helpful.

I have the free Google skydrive, but it's only 40GB. Have you thought of a home cloud? I put a 2TB drive in an old XP machine, linked it to my network and can dl or ul from any device in my home. It's relatively cheaper (no monthly), and you have total control over it.

Personal clouds are the way to go or a mass storage device on the network. Companies charging for online cloud services are expensive. I looked into it about 12 months and 4 months ago for the site and it would more than double our monthly expenses. Disk space is the commodity that is expensive in cloud infrastructures.

allow me to delete it from my computer?

w, how much data are you talking about? It matters. It fits on your computer now, so I'm guessing 10TB upper limit, but probably waaaay much less.

2 maybe 3 TBs. I really want to free up space on my PC but have had nothing but rotten luck with external back up drives. the last 3 times I used them they self destructed within a couple months and I lost everything. I could spend the next year backing up to a few hundred DVDs but that seems crazy in this day and age.

it would be cheaper and better to buy 2 internal 2TB hard drives and link them in a RAID-1 structure inside your PC

cloud companies might have to delete any illegal files like movies and music if you have them

you have to rely on their security to avoid any data theft (you have to be careful with what you are storing there)

good luck!

Also check your actual broadband speed - I still only have 0.5mbps upload so cloud is a no no for anything other than small files.

Local storage is better for me - as I recently upgraded I have USB 3 ports (4-5Gbps) so thats my best choice.

Regards to backing up - if you want to keep something you need 2 copies on 2 different devices - normally this would be a PC and a backup drive. If you only have it on one device its not really backed up.

Even with a cloud as proved on this site the company can screw up the servers losing everything, or go out of business, or one day maybe you just cant afford their payments anymore. 

Consider putting in a larger 2nd hard disk if you can so you don't have to keep deleting things off the PC - but yes a local cloud setup could be another option if you have the money.