MAKO69

RAAF poised to make strikes on ISIS

Interested to see what kind of loadouts the RAAF Super Hornets will utilize

Looks like the Ausie Hornets are set up for loiter for precision targets with 3 fuel tanks, 2 JADAM, and 2 laser guided bombs.

a_royal_australian_air_force_raaf_f_a_18f_super_ho_5432fa72a8.jpg

It’s not very clear but from the released pictures they don't seem to be carrying an Aim-120 opposite the ATFLIR on the fuselage station for some reason?

ISIS doesn't have fast jet capability, and missiles have a "carry life" or a number of hours they can be flying on an airplane before they expire due to vibration, g forces, and temp changes. To put a weapon on a plane that will never be used and wear it out, costing money, makes little sense.

I see your point, but as they carry AIM-9X on the wing tips they must want to retain some level of self defense, as fighters in Afghanistan still do etc, so what's your though on the AIM-9 instead of the AIM-120 for this purpose? USAF F-16 as an example carry a pair of AMRAAM'S over sidewinders in Afghanistan. Personally I would have thought the AMRAAM would provide more flexibility.

Money is the issue. These weapons just aren't simple strap on rockets they have electronics and computers too that also require maint. after so many flights. The more they get bounced around on a wing the sooner they have to be worked on. Something I'd say the RAAF would rather let the US spend their cash on. The Aussie bugs are tasked with strike not CAPs.

I see your point, but as they carry AIM-9X on the wing tips they must want to retain some level of self defense, as fighters in Afghanistan still do etc, so what's your though on the AIM-9 instead of the AIM-120 for this purpose? USAF F-16 as an example carry a pair of AMRAAM'S over sidewinders in Afghanistan. Personally I would have thought the AMRAAM would provide more flexibility.

F-16 Standard loading these days is AIM-120s on the wingtips - reduces wing flutter better in flight apparently.

FA-18s are not rated to carry AIM-120 on wingtips AFAIK 

Assuming they took out the captured IS airbases then basic precaution would be required against Syrian / Iranian aircraft/UAVs maybe.

I read a while back in this forum that F-16s carry their AMRAAMs in the outer wings because they were expected to be fired earlier than the sidewinders, and it helped to keep the aircraft balanced. The Spanish Air Force had their EF-18M wired, and tested AMRAAMs for the wingtips, but this capability is never to be used as their could cause issues with the folding wing with high G maneuvers, just see how they bounce in any video from a Hornet cockpit. They use IRIS-Ts instead. 

Dunno if confirmed, but it seems that ISIS had taken on three SyAF fighters, Fishbed(s) and Flogger(s), at Al Jarrah near Alep.

Assuming they were not destroyed on the ground the only use would be to sell for parts or as a manned cruise missile.

It’s not very clear but from the released pictures they don't seem to be carrying an Aim-120 opposite the ATFLIR on the fuselage station for some reason?

Turns out they are carrying one after all:

post-59028-0-19897700-1413704497.jpg