Centurion-1

[W I P] Angola Terrain for the South African border war

no one is interested in S.W. Africa.

I'am interested, but, right now, I'm focusing in europe.

I had corrected the problems of trees on runways but :

There are houses on runways which must be deleted

The runways must be flattened

The airfields must be corrected as they are not historical

The landscape is made of savanna, should be savana in the South and dense forest in the North and at high altitude

Rivers, lakes and dams must be added (dams were targets)

In general targets must be tuned

I had corrected the problems of trees on runways but :

There are houses on runways which must be deleted

The runways must be flattened

The airfields must be corrected as they are not historical

The landscape is made of savanna, should be savana in the South and dense forest in the North and at high altitude

In general targets must be tuned

That's quite easy to do , it takes many time, but it's easy, with Mue's target editor , Gerwin TFD and TK's terrain editor it can be easily done. Time and patience are the main constrains.

Edited by FRPignon

you're not using "airfield only" terrain tiles??? That's how it has to be done;, that way you don't have the offending TOD objects sitting in the middle of the runway. One can use (for example), the 3 transitions, 25, 50, 75 by simply copy/rename them to an airfield specific. 

Look in the 'forest bowl' terrain I did for the firefighter mod, you'll see I used the GErmany GR75 and 50 to create "open spaces" for airfields. Making matching TOD is also quickly done in the TE

If you can work with layers, making ANY transition tile is simple matter

Flattening airfields is also easy, using the TE.

Shoot, even cutting canyons for rivers is fairly easy with TFD tool (used it on the CBI map)

What KIND of transitions are you lacking? Savannah to forest would, again, be very simple using existing tiles as a guideline (3-ways being the hardest)

I made quite a number of transition tiles for my WIP revamp of the Iraq/Iran terrain, I might be able to help you guys, but I still have to learn how to effectively create decent looking TODs for tiles.

Regarding lakes and rivers, don't even try to be perfect and to recreate all the water bodies (as I stupidly did), since it is very time consuming and you can only add certain rivers and/or lakes with a certain degree of precision. Some artistic liberties must be taken. But indeed more details go into the terrain project, the more it will be appreciated, I guess.  As FRPignon said, the only constraints are time and patience.

If not many tiles are needed to be made, and if you guys are not in a hurry, just drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do in the usual two weeks.

Edited by blaze95

Wow guys Thank you so much for getting re-into the SW Africa Terrain!  I would love to fly over where I grew Up!!!  If theres anything I can help out with please feel free to PM me!

you're not using "airfield only" terrain tiles??? That's how it has to be done;, that way you don't have the offending TOD objects sitting in the middle of the runway. One can use (for example), the 3 transitions, 25, 50, 75 by simply copy/rename them to an airfield specific. 

Look in the 'forest bowl' terrain I did for the firefighter mod, you'll see I used the GErmany GR75 and 50 to create "open spaces" for airfields. Making matching TOD is also quickly done in the TE

If you can work with layers, making ANY transition tile is simple matter

Shoot, even cutting canyons for rivers is fairly easy with TFD tool (used it on the CBI map)

What KIND of transitions are you lacking? Savannah to forest would, again, be very simple using existing tiles as a guideline (3-ways being the hardest)

About airfield tiles, I created them : they were not there when I got the terrain from centurion 

For teh rest : real life !

well, I tell ya what..

send me everything you've got... the terrain and most importantly, a fully set up terrain editor for this terrain (all inis, texture list, tiles, etc) and I'll take a look at it. No promises, but I'll try to do what I can (in between the aircraft we'er building with Cocas, and I at some point need to get back the XvT Imperial mission sets....)

Give me a detailed list of what's needed (tile/terrain wise) and we'll go from there.

well, I tell ya what..

send me everything you've got... the terrain and most importantly, a fully set up terrain editor for this terrain (all inis, texture list, tiles, etc) and I'll take a look at it. No promises, but I'll try to do what I can (in between the aircraft we'er building with Cocas, and I at some point need to get back the XvT Imperial mission sets....)

Give me a detailed list of what's needed (tile/terrain wise) and we'll go from there.

I do not have the set up terrain editor for the Angola, I need to rebuild it

We do indeed. Wrench is fixing up one. Most of Angolan pilots were Cubans, so for the speech file the "Spanish" could be used, as the Angolans speaks a sort of a Portuguese and we don´t have the "Portuguese" speechs so far.

well, I will as soon as I get all the part necessary to start work

How can I flatten an airfield?

Using TFDTool I put all the heights on a box to 12, but in game I see that.

img00029_zpsruvfrzm9.jpg

a trick that TK told me once, many eons ago.....

in the TE.....

1) create a city list ini -- have it contain ONLY the item(s) needed for flattening. If the terrain has one already, give it a uniquie name, like "kj_citylist.ini"

the entry should look something like this:

[City001]

Name=Nanning Field
TextureType=5
Randomness=0
PositionX=1583.000000
PositionY=1497.000000
Width=6.000000
Height=6.000000
HasAirfield=TRUE

note that I'm using 6 x 6 km. most of the "regular" airfield - 1, 2,5,6 can use 4 or 5. I use 4 for a airfield 3. 6x is usually reserved to runway 4, as it being the largest, require much more space. How large the zone is, is determined by the surrounding terrain (city, forest, fields, etc)

2) make sure it's where you want it ( X / Y coordinates)

3) Open the TE, and load the terrain. Then open the city list for the airfield, the use the drop down and select "flatten airfield". Save, and "Save ALL"

before moveing the new TFD and HFD (yes, somehow they ARE linked, even if you didn't change any tiles -- use BOTH of the newly created one)

In the terrain folder, backup/rename the existing TFD and HFD, THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY PRECAUTION AND CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH!!!!

Copy/paste the new TFD & HFD into the terrain folder

create a test mission from that airfield, or over it, and make sure the region is flat

Argh, I see what I'm making wrong. I'm not using Thirdwire TE, but TFDTool.

indeed!

the TFD tool is really good for fine, detail work (like cutting a river canyon). Everything else really needs to be done in the TE. 

Its so much easier (ok, well for me!) to add new tiles, create TODs, flatten airfields and so forth

Fortunately I saved a copy before the mod, cause I almost killed all my terrain. Just trying to add a airfield. :(