Gepard

First Eagles WW2

ok, after having built a Ww2 FE2 mods folder, I can state categoricly that yes, there is no possible to way to have any anti-shipping missions, even on those terrains that have them built in (I tested an ETO version).

FE/FE2 lacks the necessary coding.

Unless one builds terrains with out oceans, that sort of kills it. A/S missions are quite important in ALL ww2 theatres.

But for land based, ie land -to- land, it works fine

Also, due to SF2 NOT having any lod files with the terrain cats -- they all got "moved" during one the 2012 patches, you MUST use an 08 level 1st Gen terrain cat, either placed into the FE/FE2 /Terrains folder in the 'core files section, or into the mod's folders /Terrains folder.

Recommended terrain cats to use would be BOTH the Desert and GermanyCE (depending if one is flying in Europe or The Med). Be advised with FE2, and it's newer shaders, you may need to extract the (terrain-name)_Data.ini and update the shader statements to the necessary level. They'll still work just fine, but you'll miss some of the effects

• Like 1

Great information!  Thanks, Wrench - your efforts are much appreciated.

In a perfect world, we would have everything in one game system.  I realize that some guys will be disappointed in FE's lack of anti-shipping missions.  However, the LARGE number of likes and PMs that I have received indicate a lot of guys are willing to trade that off to get realistic handling and larger terrain art, for low level missions flying biplanes and early monoplanes.

Shot below illustrates the low altitudes that were typical of operations in 1940.  Shot is of Tobruk - ALL OF IT!!  It was the second largest town in Libya back then, so you can see how it might be possible to construct some 3D models, as large modules, that could be assembled different ways in the TFD tool.

To paraphrase an old joke, 1940 Libya wasn't the end of the world - but you could see it from there.  :biggrin:

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by Geezer

Hi Geezer

Can you give me a quick reminder to what aircraft models you're working on.  Did you ever make any progress on the Bombay?

hmm.... that picture tells me I put the rail station in the wrong place!! :biggrin: (that s, if that "road-looking thing headed towards the bay in the foreground, are tracks) . OTH, my "port tile" isn't too far off!!

One this IS for certain, the ground attack (CAS, STRIKE, ARMED_Recon) WILL work as normal. Docked ships are still possible (moored at piers, or in the roadsteads).

Hi Geezer

Can you give me a quick reminder to what aircraft models you're working on.  Did you ever make any progress on the Bombay?

Models complete and ready for mapping, textures, data files, etc:

FIAT CR42 (in work)

Gloster Gladiator

Hawker Hurricane MK1 (in work)

Models 95% complete:

Caproni Ca133

FIAT CR32

Gloster Gauntlet

IMAM Ro37

Hawker Hind

Savoia-Marchetti S79

Savoia-Marchetti S81

Bristol Bombay

Not started:

Blenheim MK1

Hawker Fury (Italian East Africa)

Vickers Wellesly (Italian East Africa)

IMAM Ro43

Breda Ba65

Messerschmitt Bf109E (for phase 2)

Messerschmitt Bf110 C/D (for phase 2)

Blenheim MK4

hmm.... that picture tells me I put the rail station in the wrong place!! :biggrin: (that s, if that "road-looking thing headed towards the bay in the foreground, are tracks) . OTH, my "port tile" isn't too far off!!

One this IS for certain, the ground attack (CAS, STRIKE, ARMED_Recon) WILL work as normal. Docked ships are still possible (moored at piers, or in the roadsteads).

The industrial objects are nearly done - I'm working on the refinery modules now.  When finished, I'll start on the harbors.  When I get to that point, would it be possible for you to send me the 3D models you are using for your ports?  That would give me something to base my own models on - a sense of scale for facilities, and real world layouts.

I've also got a start on a couple of tramp steamers, and a few other small-ish vessels for the harbor objects.  Shots below show one example - I will simplify the finals so there is less unnecessary detail.

• Like 1

they're not really any 3d items in my porst; other than the warehouses, support buildings, ships, and stuff like that. The ports are the actual "special" tiles themselves.

These are off the unfinished (well, the retiling is done; the targets ini needs rebuilding to fit the new tiles) for WW2 Tunisia.

You should see Tunis harbor!

Got 'em.  I'll use them as layout templates when I start the 3D harbor models.  What would be the real world dimensions of the images?  1000x1000m?  10,000x10,000m?  Whatever?

Found this shot of Tobruk's waterfront.  Based on the other map makers' inputs, I would probably break it down into two modules.  Looks like the best place to split it would be about where all the figures are standing on a dock in the center?  That would also allow the map makers to use either module elsewhere, say in a really small harbor.

Edited by Geezer

well, they're the standard desert tiles, albeit quite modified, 256 x 256.

km wise --- ??? 5 per side??? You know, I really don't remember!!!

below is Grand Harbor, in game. Stephan1918's cargo ships can be seen in the foreground and middle background (one in each of the 2 harbors) Might be possible to judge size from them. The stock warehouse has a 48 x 48 m footprint

also, not to be forgetting that map is "3rd wire world size", 63% of reality

well, they're the standard desert tiles, albeit quite modified, 256 x 256.

km wise --- ??? 5 per side??? You know, I really don't remember!!!

When I revised the Palestine Terrain, if I recall correctly, each terrain tile represents a 2 x 2 kilometer area. I think this is standard for SF. FE tiles are 500 x 500 meters.

ok, that makes a LOT more sense!! Thank's Stephan!

Progress shots of the CR42 Falco.  The model is mapped and the skin art started, but lack final details, weathering, etc.  Also shown are two quick and dirty examples of 1940 markings.

• Like 2

Nice job, Geezer !

Just one remark, the last scheme from 95th Squadriglia is for a plane based in Belgium during the battle of Britain !

Ciao !

Nice job, Geezer !

Just one remark, the last scheme from 95th Squadriglia is for a plane based in Belgium during the battle of Britain !

Ciao !

Yep - no reason why the BoB guys can't have something to play with.  :biggrin:   Dunno if it will actually get done, but I'd like to release the Falco with skins for several different theaters.

To expand on comment above, after 1940 even the Italians had to admit the day of the biplane fighter had passed, so the Falco was used for ground attack and night intruder.  The CR42 did not carry bombs in 1940 but I included bomb racks in case modders wanted to adapt the released aircraft to other times and places.  I think there may be space for night exhausts on the existing maps - if so, I'll include those also.  I'd like to make skins for late-war Regia Aeronautica use, and maybe Luftwaffe use, but those may have to wait until phase 2.

Hi Geezer

Great work.  With the differnent users of the CR42, there are some nice skin options.  Could you consider releasing the layered skin file as well as the jpeg.  For those of us who enjoy skinning, it would make it so much easier to build on you terrific effort.

Hi Geezer

Great work.  With the differnent users of the CR42, there are some nice skin options.  Could you consider releasing the layered skin file as well as the jpeg.  For those of us who enjoy skinning, it would make it so much easier to build on you terrific effort.

Yes, because I don't plan on making a million decals I am going to include many aids to modders making their own artwork.  I will include many samples of art - color swatches, squadron insignia, etc - along with the original .psd artwork.  I will also try to keep the details - panel lines, weathering, etc - on layers that are separate from the basic camo, so modders can make different color schemes without losing too much of my detail work.  That's the theory anyway.  :biggrin:

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

Both FE2 and SF2.  I'll develop the mod for FE2, and then see about making an SF2 version.  Wrench says it should work because both systems pretty much use the same code.

I posted this shot in a different thread, but thought it would interest those guys following this one.  All of the 1940 desert biplanes have realistically scalloped flying surfaces.  No more having to paint the rib shading into the artwork!

• Like 4

Thought I'd summarize what has been covered in other threads.  The first six months of the 1940 desert war were unique compared to "normal" WW2 aerial warfare.  Both sides suffered a shortage of modern equipment, so June-December 1940 operations had much in common with WW1 - including the extensive use of biplanes.  The CR42 and Gladiator were the stars of the show, with Hurricane MK1s slowly becoming significant, but never replacing the Gladiator.  Obsolete fighters - the CR32 and Gauntlet - were used as ground attack, but often engaged in dogfights after dropping their bombs.  FE2 is the best choice for this unique situation, as it it optimized for biplanes and low level combat.

• Like 2

There were also some fascinating early monoplanes - mostly bombers - used in 1940 Libya.  Only one more aircraft needed for the initial lineup of aircraft - the Bristol Blenheim MK1.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

Phenomenal!!!!! I remember to saw some Japanese/Chinese planes as well. They´re stunning!!!

Italian trimotors are really nice, specially the Caproni Ca.101!

Edited by Gustav