Sign in to follow this  
hawker111

MSI NX8400GS 512MB Video Card -- would it be okay for SF2?

Hi,

I need to get a new video card to run SF2.

Would SF2 run okay with a MSI NX8400GS 512MB Video Card?

Thanks,

Hawker111

looking it up, that seems like a very low end card. The fact that is has NO cooling fan scares me!!

I've got a GTX 550 ti, with 1 gb. It's a good card; probably now at the bottom of the mid ranges (performace wise) Runs the SF2 game with no problems

iirc, I paid around $100 for it (can't find the receipt!)

cooling fans are a MUST HAVE!!

if in uk you can get summat far better for a few quid extra  16.99 will get u a 2046mb geforce card dd3   or this

MSI Radeon R7 240 "Low Profile" 2048MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card

for a few pounds more. link below....at 44 quid...just to show u can shop around and get more bang for your bucks so to speak..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-231-MS&groupid=701&catid=56

Edited by russouk2004

I ran FE2 (and occasionally, SF2 Europe) on a 512Mb 8300 GS and it ran okay, but a few more FPS and the ability to rack up the graphics options a bit higher would have been welcome. So the answer for an 8400 is probably 'yes', but a better card would definitely be a good idea if you want it to run well, rather than merely 'okay'.

The table here shows the comparative specs of the cards in that series, with the right-hand column giving some idea of comparative performance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_series. My next card after the 8300 GS was a second hand 8800 GT and it was much better with SF2 sims and a big improvement on my other sims, like Steel Fury and IL-2 '46. I would say something of the performance of the old 8800GT is about the minimum standard you want for a decent experience with SF2.

The minimum spec card I recommend for this series, is this GTX650ti 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127793&cm_re=gtx650-_-14-127-793-_-Product

Last July, I picked up a GTX750ti 2GB for under $120 US (after rebates).  I am shocked to see that same card now selling for $200 on most of the popular online discount outlets.

Almost 5 years ago (in July of 2009), I tested a 512 MB GTX8600 against a 1 GB GTS250, and can tell you that the GTX8600 was absolutely trampled by the GTS 250 in synthetic benchmarks, and in average frame rates while playing SF2. If you have the patience to search through our archives, you can probably dig up that thread.

I was also considering this card:

Radeon 5450 1 GB

Edited by hawker111

AGP or PCI-E because, just picked up a Gigabyte Radeon R-7 240 2GB DDR3 PCI-E 3.0 that runs in a PCI-E 2.0 slot (Xp or Win 7/8 for $86,00 at Fry's. Nice cooling fan on it to.

I do not know of any AGP motherboards that were released after late 2006  or early 2007. Given that, it is safe to assume that if the OP has an open graphics slot on his motherboard, it would very likely be a PCI-E slot.

The Radeon R7-240 is also a good choice, as its performance is comparable to the GTX 650ti.

Edited by Fubar512