SF2NA: The RSR Edition

Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic

- The RSR Edition

This is an add-on package for the "Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic" (SF2NA) Expansion Pack available at CombatAce. The "SF2NA: RSR Edition" (SF2NA-RSR) add-on offers a new campaign that is markedly different from the default "Northern Sabre" campaign that ships with SF2NA as well as fourteen stand-alone missions that can be flown independently of the campaign. Also included are eleven new aircraft and a four new ground objects to fill out the campaign and missions. Please note that while the campaign and missions are inspired by a certain popular novel from the 1980's, they are not designed to faithfully re-create down to the last detail episodes from that book.

This add-on package is designed to be applied over the top of an existing installation of the SF2NA Expansion Pack. You can download the three main Expansion Pack files here:

Part 1:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13980-sf2na-expansion-pack-part-1-of-3/

Part 2:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13979-sf2na-expansion-pack-part-2-of-3/

Part 3:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13978-sf2na-expansion-pack-part-3-of-3/

Please take a look over the remainder of this ReadMe before installing this add-on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The minimum requirements for this add-on package are the same as for the SF2NA Expansion Pack.

REQUIRED: Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic (SFNA), plus

Strike Fighters 2 (SF2), plus

Strike Fighters 2 Europe (SF2E), plus

Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam (SF2V)

PATCH LEVEL: Mar2012 or higher

As this mod is an add-on to the SF2NA Expansion Pack, you must have that earlier mod already installed and working.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Installation

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's how to install this add-on package:

1. Ensure that SF2NA, SF2V, SF2, and SF2E are all properly installed & updated as part of a

merged install.

2. Ensure that the SF2NA Expansion Pack is properly installed and working. (See above for

links to all the download components.)

3. Unpack SF2NA_RSR.7z to a safe place on your drive.

4. Open the \To_Mod_Folder directory. Drag and drop all the files and folders from within

the \To_Mod_Folder sub-folder to your SF2NA Expansion Pack Mod Folder, overwriting as

prompted.

At this point the SF2NA-RSR add-on is installed and you're ready to play the new campaign.

For information on the individual missions that are also included as well as some optional items that you can install, please see the following two sections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Optional Items

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This add-on package includes files to support the use of Gerwin's alternate IcelandNA terrain as well as Baltika's Iceland02 terrain. These optional files are contained in the \_Optional directory.

\_Optional\Baltika:

This directory contains files to update the version of Baltika's Iceland02 terrain that is included in the SF2NA Expansion Pack (also as an Optional install). It also contains a custom version of the new campaign for use with Baltika's terrain.

To use these updated optional files you must install Baltika's Iceland02 as directed in the SF2NA Expansion Pack documentation for that terrain as well as the updates for it included in the SF2NA Expansion Pack.

Once the terrain and original updates are installed, you can install the additional updates for the terrain included in this directory. You can also install the alternate version of the new campaign (which will overwrite the standard version of the new campaign that works on the IcelandNA terrain).

\_Optional\Gerwin:

This directory contains files to update Gerwin's alternate IcelandNA terrain, which is included in the SF2NA Expansion Pack. To use these updated files you must have Gerwin's terrain installed as instructed in the documentation for the SF2NA Expansion Pack.

To use Gerwin's alternate terrain with the new campaign, you will need to edit the new campaign's main .INI in the same way you did the campaigns included in the SF2NA Expansion Pack. See Step 7 of the installation instructions for Gerwin's alternate terrain in the SF2NA Expansion Pack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summary of New Campaign

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This add-on supplies a new campaign set in June 1986 for the SF2NA Expansion Pack. This campaign is markedly different from the stock "Northern Sabre" campaign in that the Soviets control all of Iceland at the start of the campaign.

A large USN/USMC naval convoy approaches from the southwest to re-take the island from the Soviet forces entrenched on the island. That convoy consists of two carrier groups (led the Independence & the America), two amphibious groups (led by the Tarawa & Peleliu), and a naval gunfire support group (anchored by the USS Iowa & USS New Jersey). USAF, USN, and RAF aircraft based in Scotland fly from off-map air bases in support of the convoy.

The first few days of the campaign are spent striking Soviet targets on the island, fending off Soviet long range recon aircraft searching for the naval convoy, and searching for Soviet naval units thought to be moving towards Iceland. The Marines land at two points near Mt. Snaefllsjokull on the western side of the island north of Reykjavik.

The new campaign appears in the campaign list as: 1986-0618 Northern Sabre (RSR).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Individual Missions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As noted earlier, this add-on includes fourteen missions that can be flown independently of the campaign. These missions are located in the \_Missions directory. For instructions on how to install and play the individual missions, please see the ReadMe for the missions included there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's Included

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This add-on includes the following updates for the SF2NA Expansion Pack:

NEW AIRCRAFT

- AH-1J_80

- FB-111A

- Mi-24P

- NimrodMR1

- P-3C

- RF-4C

- S-3B

- Tu-16KSR2

NEW GROUND OBJECTS

- BMP-2

- BMP-2_AT-5

- CommTrailer

- HQTrailer

OTHER ADDITIONS

- one new campaign

- fourteen new missions

- misc. new skins

- misc. new weapons

~~~~~~~

Credits

~~~~~~~

This update contains a number of new items from the following modders who generously allowed their use:

yakarov79 ............................ AH-1J_80

EricJ ................................. AH-1J camo skin

Dave (USAFMTL) ........................ B-52G 2nd BW skin

FastCargo ............................. FB-111A

slick_cowboy .......................... FB-111A skins

Julhelm ............................... F-19

Veltro2K .............................. Il-76 & A-50

Dave (USAFMTL) ........................ F-4D 136th FIS skin, F-15C skins, RF-4C Euro skin

YEYEYE ................................ Mi-24P

Veltro2K & Wrench ..................... Nimrod MR.1

Florian ............................... P-3C beta

FoxMonter ............................. S-3B

Wrench ................................ S-3B updates

slick cowboy .......................... S-3B skins

Paulopanz & Spillone104 ............... Tu-16KSR2

rebel ryder ........................... BMP-2, BMP-2_AT-5

Kesselbrut ............................ CommTrailer, HQTrailer

ID(io)T Team, Torno, YeYeYe, .......... Iowa '80s battleship

& Spitwulf

Fubar512 .............................. Iowa '80s configuration

Caesar & eburger68 .................... RSR missions

Dave (USAFMTL) ........................ Frisbee missions

If we have neglected to credit anyone here, please let us know. We will get it fixed ASAP.

----------------------

Eric Howes (eburger68)

USAFMTL (Dave)

14 March 2015

Great! Many thanks!!! :hi:

Which of the three terrains would you suggesT?

And hmm are the gerwin and baltika terrain suffering from the coastline being differnet form the original TW theatre?

I am sorry if the question sounds silly, I have been away for a while and I am considering sf2 again...

also is it possibile to have RSR in the same install as northcape?

Edited by Canadair

Canadair:

I wouldn't suggest one terrain over any other. It's a matter of preference.

The coastlines of Gerwin's terrain and Baltika's terrain are different than the default IcelandNA terrain, through Gerwin's terrain is otherwise compatible with the default campaign for the IcelandNA terrain. Baltika's terrain requires you to install the alternate campaign files if you wish to fly the campaign on that terrain.

Yes, you can have the RSR add-on installed to the same version of the SF2NA Expansion Pack as NorthCape. That's the way mine is set up.

Eric Howes

Could some friend here post some screenies of both Gerwin's and Baltika's terrains in order to choose? 

The coastlines of Gerwin's terrain and Baltika's terrain are different than the default IcelandNA terrain, through Gerwin's terrain is otherwise compatible with the default campaign for the IcelandNA terrain. Baltika's terrain requires you to install the alternate campaign files if you wish to fly the campaign on that terrain.

Thank you:

My question was wrongly worded:

I meant

Because of an upgrade to the target list of 3w terrain, it happened that the Gerwin one ended with inland targets that were supposed to be on the shoreline. If the gerwin and/or the baltica terrain have different and proprietary tarrget list and not just copied over from 3w terrain that should not happen, but hey what do I known at the moment

Another thing: in black sea crisis readme you mentioned a "feature" of the campaign engine that once task force are discovered they get furiously attacked, and no way to prevent this. Does that happen in ALL the naval campaing, including this one and north cape? does that happen if there are two battle groups?

Edited by Canadair

Canadair:

The problem of inland targets on Gerwin's terrain is discussed in the ReadMe for the optional install of the terrain. Baltika's terrain uses a different TARGETS.INI.

Yes, the behavior I discussed in the Black Sea Crisis ReadMe is a feature of all naval campaigns.

Eric Howes

Could some friend here post some screenies of both Gerwin's and Baltika's terrains in order to choose? 

There are a bunch of screenshots on the main d/l page for Iceland02 right here:-

http://combatace.com/files/file/12516-full-scale-iceland-terrain/

BTW, thanks to eburger for taking the time to include alternate campaign files to breathe some life into my old Iceland terrain.

Cheers mate :drinks:

Slainthe!

Baltika

Yes, the behavior I discussed in the Black Sea Crisis ReadMe is a feature of all naval campaigns.

Also in desert storm then? I mean it is not about the carrier,,right? If I have simply two naval groups without carrier it would still happen?

Canadair:

It is a risk in any naval campaign. You can minimize the risk by restricting or even eliminating enemy aircraft that are tasked with Naval_Search. You can also minimize the risk by minimizing or eliminating enemy aircraft tasked with Naval_Attack, Cruise_Missile, Strike, SEAD_Naval, or SEAD. But depending on the geography of the terrain some risk will always be there. Even with battle groups that lack a carrier.

In some cases (48-56, ODS, OTC) I have had pretty good success in minimizing the risk. In other cases (Black Sea Crisis), it continued to happen no matter what I did. The friendly naval groups were always discovered, and then the strikes on those groups would begin.

Eric Howes

Thanks for your very clear answer Eburger, and thanks 100000 times fot the megapaks. At the moment for me they are the only way to go back to SF2. the amount of modding would be totally out of control

Thanks again so much

Nice work, thank you! One of my favourite books ever.

Thanks for the great pack!  I'm really enjoying gun runs in YEYE's Mi-24!  Awesome cockpit and now a very workable flight-model  

Canadair:

I wouldn't suggest one terrain over any other. It's a matter of preference.

Yes, you can have the RSR add-on installed to the same version of the SF2NA Expansion Pack as NorthCape. That's the way mine is set up.

Eric Howes

Canadair:

The problem of inland targets on Gerwin's terrain is discussed in the ReadMe for the optional install of the terrain. Baltika's terrain uses a different TARGETS.INI.

Eric Howes

Thank you.  So Do you confirim that by using he included targets.ini  (in north atlantic expansion pack AND after form RSR exp pack) the inland target 'problem' is solved*

Canadair:

No, the inland targets problem is not solved by using the TARGETS.INI included in the SF2NA XP and RSR mods. That's precisely what the ReadMe iin Expansion Pack for the terrain says -- that it isn't solved and that you will notice the problem:

Gerwin's terrain does not reproduce many of the coastal features of the default terrain, lacking many of the inlets and channels of the original IcelandNA terrain. As a result, most of ships and other items that Wrench added to coastal target areas will show up inland on dry land, which can make for some unusual sights.

No attempt has been made to correct these anomalies in the TARGETS.INI.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Thank you now it is much clearer. So which Terrain targets ini file Gerwin terrain should be used with?

Canadair:

Gerwin's terrain should be used with the TARGETS.INI that the SF2NA Expansion Pack currently supplies for the terrain. It's not perfect -- it has the problems discussed in that ReadMe -- but there is no alternative TARGETS.INI at present. Perhaps one day I or someone else will rework the the TARGETS.INI to accommodate the unique coastal features of Gerwin's terrain, but that time is not yet.

Eric Howes