I had read in a post that the RWR, unlike as it happens in reality, doesn't detect the lock on of the AHM missiles (like AIM-120 ANRAAM, for ex.) in SF1/SF2.

Is this also valid for SF2 NA ?

Yes.  The missileobject.dll in SF2NA, (as well as in all previous iterations of Strike Fighters)  does not contain provisions for working radar emitters. It only "simulates" them as a guidance type.

There are a couple of things you can do. Don't fly past about 1991, for starters. You can also convert all AHMs to SAHMs, or simply only use SAHMs in load outs.

It's just one of those limitations we have to work around.

• Like 1

Well, the thing is, you're not going to get a high rate strobe warning from an AHM until it's in terminal guidance in reality.  AHMs (e.g. Phoenix) fired at long range usually travel in a semi-active mode, receiving updates from the launching aircraft's radar to make adjustments.  They go active at the terminal phase of intercept, and that's when you'd start getting pinged really fast by the missile's on-board radar.  Otherwise, you'll get a lower pulse rate. The game will still give you the lower rate warning when an enemy aircraft's radar is in TWS, but it will never give you the high rate warning when the missile goes active (I tested this either last year or two years ago against F-14s/AIM-54s).  As I understand it (and as Fubar512 explained above), the game only cares about aircraft or SAM radars with respect to radar warning, not missile radars.

I'm guessing this is because the game was originally meant to simulate 1950's and 60's tech.  No operational active homing missiles existed then, so if you were being painted by a radar in search mode, you'd get a lower pulse rate warning.  When the radar locks, you get higher rate warning and can assume a missile is probably inbound.  If that lock breaks, the missile goes stupid.  When the series hit the '70's, the fact that the missile fired at you has an on-board radar (Phoenix only if you're talking non-modded) does matter, but was apparently never modeled.  

So, if it were modeled right and we assume a notional missile has an active range of 10 miles, you still wouldn't get the high rate warning for most of the missile's flight time, only the lower rate from the launching aircraft's radar.  You'd get the higher rate warning once the missile was 10 miles away.  BUT! that's not the way it works in-game.

• Like 2

Yeah, understood.

Nice explanation, Caesar. (I already knew the behaviour of the AHM, but it's good for people who doesn't know).

PFunk : yeah, I hate "surprises", perhaps I'll convert all AHM missiles to SAHM.*

*Does somebody already done this ???? Did it worked well ????

BTW : Sorry for my english. If someone knows about a good english-italian course, please tell me. (I forgot a lot in recent years).

Edited by Rexor

Yes, I have done this. I converted all AHM missiles in my Operation Darius install to SAHM missiles and it worked fine.

Yes, I have done this. I converted all AHM missiles in my Operation Darius install to SAHM missiles and it worked fine.

Thank you.

Hi guys,

I have a question about RWR. My plane's RWR does not specify SA-10 radar detection, and it appears as "U" on the RWR screen. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot.

You'll have to update the RWR file to represent the SA-10. Make sure that the SA-10 you have has a RadarFaminlyName= in the _data..ini of the SA-10 (goes in DetectSystm) and introduce a tga file, such as the one attached: To edit the RWR file (a .lst file) open it within the aircraft folder something like Notepad or something like that, add this line to it:

SA-10=RWR_SA-10.tga

Put the RWR_SA-10.tga in your Flight folder in your mod folder, after that check your RWR and if the 10 shows up you got it done right.

RWR_SA-10.tga

Edited by EricJ

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I did as you told me, but the issue remains. I have attached the RWR folder that I have to this email. Besides, when I double-click on the SA-10.tga, it doe snot open it. It is always in the form of a notepad, but it does not show the content. Could you please see if it is correct or not? Thanks a lot.

RWR.LST

Edited by Falcon1364

Your RWR is setup fine. Here's the .tga zipped up. It may be that you don't have an image program that can't open it (like GIMP, ,Phoroshop, etc.) because it opens fine on my end. It may be a glitch on the CA site so here it is zipped up so you can extract it.

RWR_SA-10.7z

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for sending me the 7z file. In your first reply, you mentioned, "Make sure that the SA-10 you have has a RadarFaminlyName=" I could not find this line even though I entered the SA-10 data.ini. Is that the one that you mentioned to me? Thanks a lot. 

Yeah and apparently I misspelled it too.

RadarFamilyName=SA-10

Add that line to the [DetectSystem] part of the SA-10s _data.ini, and that should fix it.

Sorry, go to Objects/Groundobject and add that to the SA-10_RDR vehicle. What you're showing me are the missiles, not the vehicle itself.

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your email again. I have attached the two RDR files that I have. I could not open the one "SA-10A_RDR.ini" since my Notepad does not open it for some reason. Could you please take a look at it? Thanks a lot.

SA-10A_RDR.ini

SA-10A_RDR_data.INI

The _Data.ini has this line:

RadarFamilyName=SA-10A

So in your RWR file (you should be able to select it with Notepad or something) and you should put this in your RWR.lst file:

SA-10A=RWR_SA-10.tga

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your message. For some reason, I cannot find the "RWR.lst" file that you told me. Are you talking about the file I attached to this email?

RWR.LST

Yeah that's for your plane, open the RWR.lst in your plane's cockpit or wherever it is and add that line above and you'll see the "10" in the airplane in-game.

Thank you so much for your help, Eric. It works perfectly fine!!! I truly appreciate you. 

No problem! :drinks: