Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

EMALs Testing on USS Gerald R Ford

Their new aircraft needs some wings though I think  :beta:

• Like 4

Wow, that's eerie watching that sequence, and hearing nothing but the wheels against the deck.  I wonder if the shuttle's brought to a stop by reversing polarity at the end of the cat-stroke, or if they're still using a water-brake?

Yeah, they don't go far without some kind of afterburner too...lol. Still, it'd be cool to have a little cockpit, wear a helmet, and yeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Edited by pcpilot

Great question Fubar. No steam no water I would think. I bet you are right. I bet a sensor is tripped that reverses the polarity in the last few meters of the stroke.

I am going to look into this.... Ha!

If my Son ends up on the boat we could just ask him!

Edited by CrazyhorseB34

Why don't they put terrorists inside the launch \ test object, that would simulate the real weight of a pilot. 

• Like 1

The carrier needs to be very close to the target to have good chance to hit it.

--> EXIT

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of signal that puts out for the listening ESM bird trying to find the CV trying to hide in the broad ocean......

I would think the large part of it would be shielded, or directed straight up, but it certainly would be weaker than the radar return of a carrier.

I would think the large part of it would be shielded, or directed straight up, but it certainly would be weaker than the radar return of a carrier.

The radar return of a carrier is certainly big, but no bigger than many tankers, cruise ships, etc.

What an EMALS, or any other "unique emitter" provides is;

the ability to track a target without turning the radar on (and making the targeting aircraft the target!), 

the ability to IDENTIFY THE TARGET and shoot the right one

Not saying this is a bad idea, but just wondering about that part.  (having been part of a couple of ops where we hid the carrier for quite awhile)

Well, the carrier is going to be the biggest return in a group of returns sailing in formation, something no tanker or cruise ship would do, so I don't see how you could mistake it.

Also, this would likely be a brief spike that would then disappear, only lasting the duration of the shot. So it would be a recurrent but not steadily repeating signal that would certainly require triangulation to get a fix. I don't know if any range information could be determined other than "you're close enough to see it" or not.

I think for now no one would know even to look for it or where to look for it ie what band.

sailing in formation is NOT how a carrier group operates.

We successfully hid our carrier in a couple of ops in the Northern Pacific and part of that was by operating in deceptive manners and NOT putting the carrier in the center of the bullseye formation.

An ESM aircraft only needs a brief hit to be able to ID the intended target.

I don't know what the ESM signal of the EMALS is, but it will not take long for an ESM recon bird, either aircraft of satellite, to determine what to look for.

As I understand it the ESM is shielded to protect aircraft and shipboard electronics from interference with by its emissions. Also on the subject hiding a carrier group at sea read the link below.

How to Hide a Task Force by Andy Pico

As I understand it the ESM is shielded to protect aircraft and shipboard electronics from interference with by its emissions. Also on the subject hiding a carrier group at sea read the link below.

How to Hide a Task Force by Andy Pico

I'm not referring to the interference. I am referring to the ability of the "Other guy's" aircraft to detect and identify that signal and correlate it to a radar target.

you do know who wrote that article................?

I'm not referring to the interference. I am referring to the ability of the "Other guy's" aircraft to detect and identify that signal and correlate it to a radar target.

you do know who wrote that article................?

I was just indicating that it is possible that the shielding used to protect systems and personnel may also protect against long range ESM detection. As for the author of the article all I know is what is said in the article.

Found some info about the author at the link below.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/default2_bioAP.htm

Edited by KJakker

I was just indicating that it is possible that the shielding used to protect systems and personnel may also protect against long range ESM detection. As for the author of the article all I know is what is said in the article.

Found some info about the author at the link below.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/default2_bioAP.htm

he sounds pretty similar to someone here....................

http://combatace.com/topic/80564-combatace-spotlight-interview-with-typhoid/

https://coloradosprings.gov/government/general-information/city-council/andy-pico

Edited by Typhoid