betcha the lod is in unicode; 1stGens can't read it

• Like 1

Please tell me how can I fix this? I have the same problem - not only with CR-42, but also with a new aircrafts by the A-Team.

Thanks Wrench. Crawford- I believe it may have to do with the choice of export plugin in 3ds max for FE/FE2/SF2. Looking at the Thirdwire site, there is 3ds max exporter for the earlier version, likely for use with SF/FE and then there are the later versions - the likes of FE2/SF2. Accordingly, only two choices, either ask individual releasing the aircrafts to account for exporting lod in non-unicode for FEG users or buy FE2; not much else you can do at your end.

unfortunately, it may be time to evolve to FE2/SF2. as just about all modelers are working with later versions of MAX, and exporting as Unicode.

OTH, the "2" series have no problems reading either ANSI or Unicode (this includes inis as well as the models). The "2" series (at least SF2) also reads jpg and dds textures for the skins and damage overlays

• Like 2

I concur. Thanks for the HU

I have Geezer's CR42 working in FE1. When the plane is available on the meu screen, but doesn't show up in the game, it's a problem with the LODs. If the ini file is listing LODs that aren't there, or if the LODs themselves don't have the same model node names and the same linking hierarchy, then the game doesn't use any of them.

Check that the LOD names exactly match the names in the aircraft ini file.

If those are all correct, then look at the OUT files and see if everything is using the same names and that they are linked the same way. This can be very tedious, so instead you can make a backup of the ini file, then delete all the LODs except the first one and run the game. The plane should show up. Then try adding the LODs back in, one at a time until it stops working. Then adjust the distances in the ini file.

LOD files are LOD - Ansi and Unicode are text file formats and have nothing to do with data files.

The version of the LOD plug-in is specific to 3DS Max, but the LOD files they make are all the same.

Please post here if this helps or not.

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 1

unfortunately, that's not exactly true. it's not just a text format. Ask any of the SF2 modelers

test the lods with a hex editor ... use the search function to find 'bmp'. you'll see that it can't open without checking the 'unicode' box (at least on XVI32). This is for STOCK FE2 and SF2 lods (before the sf2 lods were locked away -- which many of us archived before that happened). I've tested both.

another test, is put the Falco into SF2. If it shows up -- there ya go! :)

I know for a fact that SF2 lods are exported in unicode. Trust me on this -- we've been dealing with it in SF2 since it came out. FE2 is not that much different, since most of the 'core files' are the same.

I think you're right Wrench. I did some experimenting, I tried to get Monty CZ's He-111b into FE1 and it just wouldn't work. This may be the same problem Crawford is having with the A-team plane.

BUT, I do have the CR-42 flying in FE1. I had to change the ini file to only use LOD001 and it showed up in the game just fine. So bhaskar2789's problem can be solved.

I think you're right Wrench. I did some experimenting, I tried to get Monty CZ's He-111b into FE1 and it just wouldn't work. This may be the same problem Crawford is having with the A-team plane.

BUT, I do have the CR-42 flying in FE1. I had to change the ini file to only use LOD001 and it showed up in the game just fine. So bhaskar2789's problem can be solved.

We are looking at more than just a file format here?  The original CR-42 LOD nomenclature worked fine on my computer, or else I never would have released it that way.

Having said that, I may have released the wrong version, as sharing the model among several different modders - most of whom made adjustments - created a configuration management problem.  But, again, it worked fine in FE2 on my computer - first time, every time.

The "2" series (at least SF2) also reads jpg and dds textures for the skins and damage overlays

I've successfully used jpg and dds formats in FE2 for skins AND terrain tiles.

post-39531-0-45575400-1452857432_thumb.jpg

EXCELLENT!!

that means they're much closer together than I'd originally thought. At least in that respect.

Of course, for terrains it's a simple matter (FE2/SF2) to just change the extension name in the terrains data ini to jpg from bmp, and use jpg tiles.

Now here's another oddity -- at least in SF2! While the LOD may have internal pointers to bmp, converting the skin maps to jpg make NO difference in their display. It's built into the Game Engine ™ itself to read both. There are many examples (SF2) that use BOTH bmp and jpg skins on the same aircraft LOD!!

Which works to our advantage; you can have that super detailed 2048 or 4096 skin in jpg format, and still have a relatively "small" file size

The only 1stGen game that I know of that'll read Unicode lods is Wings over Israel, with it's expansion pak 1 added, that brings ONLY that game to almost SF2 standards (at the original SF2 release that is). But it lacks certain "operational parameters", being a self-limited theatre-specific game

EXCELLENT!!

that means they're much closer together than I'd originally thought. At least in that respect.

Of course, for terrains it's a simple matter (FE2/SF2) to just change the extension name in the terrains data ini to jpg from bmp, and use jpg tiles.

I'm positive that jpg and dds work for aircraft skins because I've tested them.  I am certain I also tested jpg for terrain art, but I'm a little fuzzy about testing dds - not 100% certain about dds terrain tiles. 

The MK1 skins and loading screens are done, plus most of the LODs are finished.  The RAF Euro pilot is also progressing nicely.  I ran ingame tests with the Sea Gladiator, and Lloyd's skins looked great.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 3

Have finished the menu screens for MK1 and Sea Gladiator, plus I'm working on LODs.  Shouldn't be too much longer - maybe a week or so.

Geezer

I really must send through the finished Sea Gladiator skin files and decals. I'll try to have it done after work this evening - that would be the small hours of 28 January for you.

post-2351-0-57617400-1453972024_thumb.jpg

post-2351-0-14080900-1453972039_thumb.jpg

Edited by LloydNB
  • Like 3

As you can see, Lloyd has done an outstanding job on the Sea Gladiator skins, plus two sets of decals for Malta and 84 Squadron.  Not shown in his shots is an upgrade I just sent him - a dinghy pack mounted under the fuselage, between the landing gear legs.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5

Very outstanding job!!! :good:

Just beautiful! But now here's an odd question: Does that Sea Gladiator have a tailhook?

Yes, it has a tailhook that works!

post-39531-0-55533400-1454327778.jpg

• Like 1

I'm currently working on the LODs and skins for the MK2 - the last version of the trio.  A stream of newly released Gladiator and CR42 files will start pretty soon, along with a 1930s bomb pack.  The aircraft will include new RAF pilot equivalents of the Regia Aeronautica pilots contained in the CR42 release.

Both Lloyd and Baffmeister have done Sterling work in assisting me - and helping me avoid dumb mistakes - so they deserve as much credit as I do.  Baffmeister takes a painstaking systems approach to his FMs, so the Glad and CR42 handling qualities are balanced and match the historical record. For example, he recently simulated the aerodynamic tendency for biplanes to pull up as the speed of a dive increases.  :biggrin:

EDIT: Baff is also developing separate FMs for FE2 and SF2, reflecting the differences between the two game systems,

post-39531-0-76239100-1454328594.jpg

post-39531-0-30872500-1454328604.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5

Another MK2 progress shot, plus a shot showing off Gterl's superb Italian Front map.

• Like 5

Two final shots show how playing with game world lighting can improve immersion.  The B&W version almost looks like a WW2 photo.  Not quite, but close.  Tips on how to make gameworld lighting more realistic can be found below:

http://combatace.com/files/file/15939-improved-gameworld-appearance/

• Like 4

Thank you so much for this truly amazing job! :good:

Special thanks for the fact that you have not forgotten users of the early version of the game. These aircraft flew at once in my FEG, without any tweaks! 

However, the injury model is not working, but I hope that this problem will be solved.