jeanba

How to delete buildings on runways ?

Hello

I am trying to improve the Angola map and on some airfields, I have some buildings :

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Do you have any idea on how to delete them ?

My initial intent was to duplicate the tile changing the porperties, but I did not find how to do

Thank you in advance

You have to change the x ,y coordinates of the airfield. Yor airfield coordinate's are placed in a City composed of .tod buildings. Other solution is to change the tile at that coordinates.

• Like 1

Not only that the runway is middle in a town, it is also layed on a nonflat area.

You need absolutly flat areas for runways or the planes will blow up while take off run.

Use the auto flattening in Terrain editor.

• Like 1

1) place airfield on tiles with no buildings

2) use ONLY tiles specific for airfields, that have not attendant TODs (such as I do)

and most assuredly, it needs major flattening

Ravenclaw's splendid snakeyes perhaps ?

post-11823-0-66794500-1448145325_thumb.jpg

We'll still need the cat to even out the " material" tho.

CL

would that The Progammer have given us destroyable TOD objects....now, THAT would be something!!

• Like 1

You have to change the x ,y coordinates of the airfield. Yor airfield coordinate's are placed in a City composed of .tod buildings. Other solution is to change the tile at that coordinates.

Hello

The airport IS in the middle of a city :

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Cuito+Cuanavale,+Angola/@-15.1580934,19.1660392,3049m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x1bc2e8310b89a705:0x2e99aebb9272fd09!6m1!1e1?hl=fr

And this is a modern picture, you can see in other pictures that during the war, things were even worse (actually, it was in the middle of slumbs)

This is not Western World, this is Africa and civil war

So, to change the tile, I need a tile with the city texture but I don't want buildings to "pop up".

I am not familiar with terrain editing, I am just trying to improve Centurion's Angola terrain, so I need some explanations :)

city-airfield tiles are easy to make; I've done it lots of times. You will still have to create the new tiles, and new TODs for these 'mixed use' tiles.

There's really nothing to it. Use the city/farm or city/desert 25, 50, & 75 transitions as your guidelines (in truth, you may only need the 50 & 75, depending on the "base" tile set -meaning desert, or Germany or Israel, etc)

I am not familiar with terrain editing

well my friend, no better time than the present to start!!

Don't use the TFD too; it has to be done in the 3W Terrain Editor. Set up is NOT that hard.

Is there some kind of a tutorial :

Basically to understand what are the TODs and all specificities ?

How to oprn the 3W Terrain Editor : for the moment, when I open a HFD file, I get a "blank window" ?

Thnak you in advance

• Like 1

Is there some kind of a tutorial :

Basically to understand what are the TODs and all specificities ?

How to oprn the 3W Terrain Editor : for the moment, when I open a HFD file, I get a "blank window" ?

Thnak you in advance

At the top of the Terrain editor window you will see a drop down menu called "View". Click on that, then select "View Height Field" from the drop down. The height field should appear.

you'll also need the complete texture set ini FOR that terrain; either from centurion or build one yourself.

In other words, the question is: Is the TE you're using COMPLETELY set up, with all the tiles (in bmp format) that the TFD needs to read??? All the inis necessary??

viewing the height field in the TE however, is virtually useless. The only adjustment that can be (truly) made is "Level Airfield". That's handled through the city list ini for that terrain (build a new one, with JUST the one airfield to be flattened)

btw, there are 12 custom tiles in that screenie alone

• Like 1

I have a blue sceen when I open the hfd file

For the tfd file, I think I must check the texture set ini

Wrench : do you mean that I need to go in the city list, find which one I am interested and "flatten it " ?

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

jeanba,

You have to add the airifield to the city list. Once added set the dimensions to 5x5km or 6x6km to "flatten" the airfield.

Also click on the Airfield checkbox so the Terrain Engine recognizes the airfield.

Krfrge

At the top of the Terrain editor window you will see a drop down menu called "View". Click on that, then select "View Height Field" from the drop down. The height field should appear.

That's not what is happening, the windows is uniformly blue Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

Jeanba, If you want some help with the airfield flattening send me a PM. Like a lot of other folks I would like to see this terrain get released so don't mind helping out if you're interested.

Edited by baffmeister

http://combatace.com/files/file/6492-terrain-editor-2-versions/

http://combatace.com/files/file/346-terrain-editor/

Above is the Terrain Editor......I don't know if they are upgrade.....

I was also ...be ...get very dificult to open a terrain...and make a new map...with some islands...and  a new airport's...only...for the Greek-Turkey coast...!!

Still tryiing....when i have a free time,.......!!

terrain creation and editing is not for the faint of heart; it's a very specific skill set. unfortunately, very few have the talent needed. It's an almost straight up learning curve, with failure lurking at every turn.

jeanba, it sound like you do NOT have a fully set up TE for this terrain. There's instruction in the SF1 KB by Gepard** on "how to...". Otherwise, you'll have to get Centurion to send you his full TE for that specific terrain. Or, have him send it to one of us that can do it in a matter of minutes.(or a couple of hours, if the "city-to-airfield" tiles need creation)

aces, you really don't want to get involved with this -- truly!! Stick to giving us new airplanes and ships. it's MUCH easier!! Trust me on this!!

** http://combatace.com/topic/26302-my-way-to-create-a-terrain-lesson-2/

some basic info

• Like 1