Sign in to follow this  
Spudknocker

Interesting finds for reducing load times and decreasing crashes in windows 10

Hello CA!  I thought i would share this little tidbit I stumbled across late at night (couldnt sleep haha)  If you have a terrain lets say for example Desert4 if you extract the Desert.cat files and place all the files in the desert4 folder (being careful not overwrite any of the custom files in the desert4 folder) and then slash out the .cat file statement in the terrain.ini file this can DRASTICALLY reduce load times and potential crashes.  I believe this is due to the fact that the game engine doesn't have to unpack the compressed CAT file to find the missing pieces stored within it.  Ive tried this with multiple terrains all the to same great effect (CubaOTC and Iran-Iraq etc)  

The second thing ive discovered is that the File name callouts in the terrain.ini folder for example NationsFile=DESERT4_NATIONS.INI etc ARE in fact CASE SENSITIVE now using Windows 10, this wasn't the case before using Windows 8.1 and this has helped avoid issues with nations and flying CAS missions in seemingly random areas of terrains haha.  If any of this is old info I apologize but this has kinda been a light bulb moment for me and has alleviated a lot of frustrating issues.

• Like 4

the old 1stGen trick was similar, excepting you moved the ***.cat file into the terrain folder in question, and then renamed it to match the terrain's name.

odd that Winge10 is now case sensitive to inis residing in particular folders, as I would more believe THAT to be more related to the game engine.

But, hey, it can't hurt, right??

(and yet another reason for W7 users to NOT go the winge10)

Thanks for the insight regarding the case sensitivity in Win10.  That might explain why some maps work and others don't for me.

Ya so look in your terrains folders and make sure everything is matched relating to cases and extracting the cat files seems to really help for what ever reason.  It could be the game engine reacting to something thats a little different in Windows 10 like maybe the new OS is looking for more specificity when its trying to find/archive files who knows haha This might be a litttle thing that could be good to put in the Knowlege base wrench or any other admins 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By petrouvis
      Greetings anyone who sees this topic, i have been having problems while playing the 1975 Desert Fury campaign as a mercenary. To be precise when i do a close air protection mission regardless of aircraft or weapons when i order my wingmen to engage after a bit the game crashes to desktop and this happens 100% of the cases on two different installs, in two different computers. I tried stock SF2 and I tried installing again and nothing has changed, the problem persists. My game version is July 2013 with the expansion packs and no DLC, any help is appreciated.
    • By Viper63a

View File StrikeFighters2 Replacement Hi-Res Spash Screens
      StrikeFighters2 Hi-Res Replacement Spash Screens 
      By Viper
      Replacement spash (Initializing, Please Wait) screen for SF2. Uncompress the zip file and copy the *.bmp files into "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\Menu\" folder...where-ever you installed SF2.
      Simple install: Backup your "INITSCREEN.BMP" and  rename one of the new BMP you like to "INITSCREEN.BMP" and all your SF2 starts will show the new splash screen. 
      Complex Install: If you want each of your games to have a different splash screen...Back up and edit the <game>.ini file for the <game>.exe you want to change the splash screen for in the "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\" folder. Update the "LoadingScreen=" parm with the name of splash screen you want to display on start up: ex. "LoadingScreen=Menu\INITSCREEN (1).BMP".
      Note: If you copied the <game>.exe file to some other name, you have to copy the <game>.ini file to the same name as a the <game>.exe file. Also, the splash screen has to be a BMP file...PSD included so you can make your own. 
      Thanks to "Squid" for the idea and some elements from his screens!
      Enjoy!
      Submitter viper63a Submitted 11/25/2014 Category Menus  
    • By Viper63a
      StrikeFighters2 Hi-Res Replacement Spash Screens 
      By Viper
      Replacement spash (Initializing, Please Wait) screen for SF2. Uncompress the zip file and copy the *.bmp files into "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\Menu\" folder...where-ever you installed SF2.
      Simple install: Backup your "INITSCREEN.BMP" and  rename one of the new BMP you like to "INITSCREEN.BMP" and all your SF2 starts will show the new splash screen. 
      Complex Install: If you want each of your games to have a different splash screen...Back up and edit the <game>.ini file for the <game>.exe you want to change the splash screen for in the "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\" folder. Update the "LoadingScreen=" parm with the name of splash screen you want to display on start up: ex. "LoadingScreen=Menu\INITSCREEN (1).BMP".
      Note: If you copied the <game>.exe file to some other name, you have to copy the <game>.ini file to the same name as a the <game>.exe file. Also, the splash screen has to be a BMP file...PSD included so you can make your own. 
      Thanks to "Squid" for the idea and some elements from his screens!
      Enjoy!
    • By agathosdaimon
      Hi!
      I have recently gotten WOE working on windows 10, thanks to help in another thread on this forum, and now have installed the Operation Desert Storm mod and it is all looking and running nicely except fro teh Instant action option, where the  game will just crash if i select it from the menu - can anyone help me as to why this would be happening. I looked in teh options.ini and the instant action has DS selected as its map so i dont understand what the critical error is here
      has anybody else encountered this?

thanks
    • By TempestII
      Hello gents,
      My full SF2 install has suddenly (circa a month or so ago) started crashing to desktop whenever I delete a waypoint in Single Mission Editor.  I've also noticed that it crashes more commonly on start-up, but after a couple of attempts, it'll launch to the Main Menu Screen.  However, if I delete a Single Mission Waypoint then it'll crash.  
      I've moved my modded folders to an external HDD and re-installed SF2E and the Exp Packs and yet the crashes still occur.  Any help would be massively appreciated.
      The only hardware upgrade I've done to my PC recently was to upgrade my GPU from a 980TI to a 1080TI; it definitely worked fine when I first did this but I have read the Nvidia thread on here that some users have had problems with recent software updates (I've made sure that my Effects aren't on "Unlimited" although none of the issues I've read in that thread seem to match what my issue is).  I did a search but couldn't find any similar CTDs either so I'm rather stumped.
      PC specs are in my sig if that helps.  Thanks in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..