Veltro2k

Where do you draw the line between fun and obsession ?

To the reader the interpretation . :pilotfly:

The second it stops being fun I walk away.....

• Like 4

The second it stops being fun I walk away...

And many have :flyer:

Very true m8........sometimes the search for perfection can lead to self destruction, that was how I got, then I realised when and where to draw the line.

• Like 1

My Kung Fu Master told me, if you do something ... do it right .... otherwise dont waste time!

I use the building process and interaction with my "group" of nice and supporting people as a learning process to reach the point where its usable. If there is a shadow issues ... a missbuild part .. rebuild it, I dont want to hide anything or release a plane with objects that look they had an accident.

If there is something wrong we have overseen it ... it will be updated...

"Doing it the right way"

• Like 4

To be honest on PC sims, sometimes i don't really know where i do draw that line.

- updated from Win XP to Win 7 because of SF 2: North Atlantic ;

- upgraded basically the entire PC hardware (+ 1000 euro) because of FSX + Aerosoft F-14 X ;

- added more RAM memory because of DCS Flaming Cliffs 3 & MiG-21 bis ;

Somewhat keep "obsessed" with certain sim features, like avionics missile sights symbology, etc. - particularly about the F-14 and AIM-9 G SEAM mode details.

After many research and talking with several members, in this forum and others (StreakEagle and Caesar, for instance), got to understand that:

- the particularities of the "SEAM" mode are probably more related with the AIM-9 G itself, than with the F-14.

So, regarding the forthcoming DCS / Leatherneck F-14 A/B, already asked on their forum about this and what I concluded is:

Nobody knows yet if the discontinued AIM-9 G will be featured... if it doesn't, then probably there would not be the "SEAM mode feature".

I try to work things to better than hollywood correct. that is to say that i won't be counting that a marking is exactly 117inches from a door,  but that it looks roughly correct and that we are doing better than say the poster for the movie Thirteen Days. you know the one with the F-15s rushing forth during the Cuban Missile Crisis! :biggrin: 

when it becomes a chore, take a breather.  it seems several of the old heads have taken breathers and come back later on with outstanding work.  just release that 737 if you do take a breather (J/K!!!!!!!)

oh and check pm tonight.  will shoot you the progress from the Douglas paintshop......

I guess it takes the modeller/skinner, the degree of perfection he wants to put on your project, as my team members know, i take a long time to make an update because i tend to make tests until i get the results i want, and even tho, i take all the corrections from the them. In the meantime i have good and bad moments making it, and, at the end, i get the results i aim for, for the benefit of the downloaders, it is like buying scale models, there are Testors and Hasegawa, different qualities from different sellers, made to give fun to the public.

That being said, i strive and have fun looking for perfection, it is not a sin, just my choice.

• Like 3

I think at the end of the day its up you the individual to decide what you want from whatever it is you do.

I personally, am a selfish old bugger, so when I decide something is good enough for what I want to see, then thats it , done. [ on that note I have no end of stuff that I will never release mainly because that every time I think "thats it" after a couple of weeks I find something else that could be better]

It all depends what you/we are trying to achieve, if all you want is constant back slapping "well done" reactions, then its time to give up, but if what you do makes you happy and serves its purpose, then carry on and enjoy the hobby. If others get enjoyment from it then thats a great bonus.

I see this type of thing a lot on avaition photography forums, some folks are just interested in "Airliners Net" quality photos and anything else by "Joe Public" just dosent count.......but I bet Joe Public had more fun getting his photos.

• Like 4

that being said the download section speaks for its self ..are they all perfect,,,,No...but we have them now and we could have fun flying them and if one  bolt is missing it still flies the same I would hate that this sim goes the way of the other FS series no longer supported

Edited by Veltro2k
  • Like 4

and hate to tell you mate ,,,being an Air force veteran I have never seen a perfect aircraft..... ding scratches all over the plane still flew

• Like 2

I have never seen a perfect aircraft.

ain't that the truth ... I remember one time at the museam in Sacremento (CA), their Mig-17 had standard, garden variety hardware store bought sheet metal screws holding down some wing panels (I'm sure even the Russian AF didn't do that!!)

---

back to the subject...

feature creep is a major bug-a-boo. The "just this one more thing ... just need to do ____ (fill in blank).

As difficult as aircraft are, terrains are, IMO even worse. One wants to make sure it (as accurately as possible) represents location XYZ in the Real World ™. Even if we all know that's impossible, not just with this game engine, but in general.

Personally, i think ALL modders - for aircraft, skins, decals, terrains, what-have-yous - are all borderline OCDs. Having crossed that line more times than I'd like to think (both in gaming mods, and in my career), I'm pretty sure where the line is.

Like Martin said above, and was pounded into my head by my instructors (as a mechanic, we WERE dealing with most likely the most deadly weapon ever designed by humans - automobiles!!), "Do it Right, Do it Once. People's Lives Are On the Line. And You Don't Get Paid To Do It Twice".  Things like that.

Fortunately in gaming, nobody really get hurt!

But yes, there comes a point where "it IS good enough", and let it go.

• Like 1

From someone NOT a modder or a skinner, I'll throw my cards into the game.

For me, it becomes an obsession when it starts to dominate the majority of your time, and other things that are important to the process of your REAL LIFE are pushed to the margins. It becomes an obsession when the things that matter are subordinated to what is considered "fun", and the "fun" becomes indistinguishable from the everyday drudgery that you went looking for the "fun" to get away from.

You gentlemen do astonishing work, and you probably don't hear nearly enough of just how MUCH it is appreciated. But I can see where you could get burned out on it, for awhile, possibly permanently. I would say they you (and you alone) know when that distinction has been reached, and if you need to step away and go fishing. :shark: 

So from over here in the flatlands, I would hope you never let this become an obsession that causes you to put away your modeling tools; and if I have to wait the proverbial "2 weeks" while you take the time to work out your OCD issues :biggrin:, or just take a break to attend to the REALLY important things (Women, cars, Women), like family, I think we can respect that, and wait. And the ones that can't, can wait with the rest of us.

Hope this made sense.

• Like 2