Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Throwing Down The Gauntlet

Another project that has been inwork for a long time finally got finished enough to fly ingame.  Now, I'll turn it over to LloydNB and Baffmeister to make the skins and tweak the flying characteristics.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 6

Background shots below.  The Finns still fly a Gauntlet with a Russian engine.  In the mid-1930s, the Gauntlet was the RAF's primiere fighter.

Edited by Geezer

More bi plane loveliness

Very good!!!

Wonderful! Honestly, you dazzle me. :blind:

Excellent work as always, very impressive!

Von S

Got some work done on the Gauntlet.  Baffmeister is usually busy during the summer months so my target is to have a mostly complete Gauntlet ready for him by Autumn.  This is my first TW model to use .dds format for skins - as can be seen, it works fine in FE2.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

Shot below will interest Golden Age enthusiasts.  Shown is the Finnish Gauntlet, and how fabric balloons upward in flight, due to lift.

post-39531-0-58122800-1467640889_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As usual, I am over committed to too many mod projects.  :biggrin:

What the hell, I may as well add a set of Finnish skins to the pile of things to do.

post-39531-0-39749500-1467716614.jpg

As usual, I am over committed to too many mod projects.  :biggrin:

What the hell, I may as well add a set of Finnish skins to the pile of things to do.

Don't actually.  It can wait, and we don't want you burning out.

Don't actually.  It can wait, and we don't want you burning out.

You're probably right.  My HD is full of half finished skins and models.  :blink:

Another shot of the Gauntlet's 1940 desert skins.

• Like 5

Thanks.  I've also gotten some work done on the cockpit.  The Gladiator was basically an upgraded Gauntlet, so it's been fairly easy to backdate a copy of the Gladiator cockpit.

post-39531-0-12183800-1467938975_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Geezer - you're an engineer of some sort, right?  Your attention to detail is amazing.

Geezer - you're an engineer of some sort, right?  Your attention to detail is amazing.

Correct, I'm a retired aircraft field service engineer.  But I also spent a couple of years in a drafting room so I would understand drawings and specifications - that was back when people actually DREW on drafting boards!  :biggrin:

Correct, I'm a retired aircraft field service engineer.  But I also spent a couple of years in a drafting room so I would understand drawings and specifications - that was back when people actually DREW on drafting boards!  :biggrin:

Yeah, I get that.  I'm a construction manager for a school district and have college engineering student interns working for me in the summer.  They actually have no idea what a t-square and triangle is.  They get a few classes in CAD, but nothing practical in terms of actual design and plans.  3rd and 4th year engineering students that don't have a clue on how to read a plan.  Terrible, but at least they have an opportunity to learn someone practical while working for us.

Anyway, I can safely say we are all grateful for your application of your education and experience to the benefit of our hobby.  Thanks!

• Like 3

Yeah, I get that.  I'm a construction manager for a school district and have college engineering student interns working for me in the summer.  They actually have no idea what a t-square and triangle is.  They get a few classes in CAD, but nothing practical in terms of actual design and plans.  3rd and 4th year engineering students that don't have a clue on how to read a plan.  Terrible, but at least they have an opportunity to learn someone practical while working for us.

Thanks! I'm glad to know I'm not just being an old fart when I complain about today's so-called educational system.  When I served a hitch in the USAF, the aircraft maintenance manuals were written to a 12th grade educational level.  When I wrote equivalent manuals for the B-2, the contract specified we write the manuals to an 8th grade educational level - we even had a kind of spell-check application that checked to make sure we were writing to the correct level.  When I wrote the manuals for Global Hawk, they were written down to a 6th grade level. 

• Like 1

yyy Geezer I was making both Gauntlet and Nimrod ptoro cockpits wanted to take on Gauntlet too so good thing you took on it

• Like 1

yyy Geezer I was making both Gauntlet and Nimrod ptoro cockpits wanted to take on Gauntlet too so good thing you took on it

I started some 1938 Munich crisis skins for the Gauntlet, but have set them aside to work on ground objects.  I would be happy to send you the 3D model, templates, and skins if you would like to continue development.

• Like 8

Some progress shots of the Dewoitine D510, France's standard fighter in 1938.

• Like 8

oh that looks professional

I'd hapilly take on it but I am under deadline this month so no to modding I am affraid

• Like 1