Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Interview with Robert Hierl on the Mig-29 Fulcrum

Robert Hierl [Typhoon Test pilot] on his time with the West German Airforce on the F-4F Phantom and on the Mig-29 Fulcrum programs

• Like 2

Looks like both sides based their IRCM on testing against their own flares only.............time to push the flare effectiveness values back up  :lol:

His manner of speaking is very pleasant. His accent is very mild and his vocabulary and grammar are beyond typical native English speakers. He clearly enjoyed the F-4 despite its age and inferiority.

As for having ineffective countermeasures due to designing them to decoy your own guidance systems, this has been a problem for a long time. From the loss of Gary Power's U-2 to the SA-2 to the present, countermeasures have sometimes not only been ineffective, but acted like beacons. I can say from personal experience that this extends down to submarines, sonar, and torpedoes. The cure to the problem is to acquire functional examples of the enemies weapons complete with manuals. Thanks to India natively speaking English, we have some great manuals on Soviet hardware properly translated to English.

• Like 1

Ineffective counter-countermeasures is what i meant - sounds like R-73 filtered out Soviet flares but loved to go after NATO ones

5 hours ago, MigBuster said:

Ineffective counter-countermeasures is what i meant - sounds like R-73 filtered out Soviet flares but loved to go after NATO ones

The soviets gave out the figure, that the hit chance of a R-73 during enemy flares use was around 60%. But only if the flare was already in the sky, when the missiles was launched. When the decoy was started when the missile was already on the way, the hit chance was around 80%.

Not all what Robert Hierl said, was really true. The number of flight hours of east german pilots was between 90 and 120 hours. That was less compared with west german standards. But if you count the number of missions which were flown, then the difference was not as big.

What he not mentioned was that the LSK still was in a operational finding phase, how to operate the MiG-29. The soviets sold only the plane, but not the new developed flight and combat doctrine.

And he said, that there was a east german pilot who learned english very fast, although the never had english lessons before. This is rubbish. English we learned in the school. And my own experience was, that after 4 years of learning english in the east german school, i was well prepared to live in south England for a longer time in 1991.

20 minutes ago, Gepard said:

The soviets gave out the figure, that the hit chance of a R-73 during enemy flares use was around 60%. But only if the flare was already in the sky, when the missiles was launched. When the decoy was started when the missile was already on the way, the hit chance was around 80%.

Clearly he has assumed things over the years maybe.

What is certain is that there are and have been a lot of different flare types over the years as well as the different ways they can be employed so I wouldn't put much into a random 60% figure without knowing what they tested and what they actually had access to. 60% against the flare types they could test perhaps but that would never be valid across the board.

Also not going to dismiss anyone who actually took part in the exploitation (would assume Project GRACE) until the detail is declassified. (If ever)

In the 80s/ 90s the IRCCM was still very primitive.........If we were to go by the performance of the AIM-9M in 1991 (and although the low altitude could have affected it), the performance vs the flare types involved could be as low as 10%-20% against a MiG-25 in full afterburner - however the reality is there is nothing to say the R-73 would be any better in that situation.

I have never heared, that a MiG-25 was able to carry flares.

The efficency of the seeker head of the R-73 was as good, that the Luftwaffe decided to cancel the participation of ASRAAM program and instead to let develope the completly new IRIS-T missile. It was said in the Luftwaffe, that the R-73 was one generation ahead compared with the american IR missiles of that time.

Maybe the technology of Stinger seeker heads which was captured in Afghanistan helped the soviets to make their missiles better.

The R-73 had a bit more range, thrust vectoring and a wider field of view this of course doesn't verify the IRCCM outside of what Heirl stated - some of the versions used Cross Array types.

IRIS-T like ASRAAM and AIM-9X has a Imaging type seeker.........nothing like the R-73 or AIM-9M of that period.

Imaging (IIR) seekers are a quantum leap over those older types regarding IRCCM because they can actually see the aircraft shape in most circumstances and have the computing power.

Iraqi MiG-25s had and used Flares...........the Iraqi pilots interviewed have not tried to deny this.

MiG-25 and flares:

Iraqi (and other exported, e.g. Libyan, Syrian) MiG-25PDS (and only this type, not the PD) have flare dispensers mounted in place of the wing fences.

System name is KDS-155, iirc. Two 15-shot magazines per wing, in tandem. The 50-mm cartridges are visible in this photo (on wiki)

5adf97ee5bb47_PDSKDS-155.jpg.49249cb0b72c733ee17ac6a97abda798.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By madvad
      Hello guys!
      Does anyone, for God's sake, have a correct loadout for the MiG-29?
      All the models I have here, and there are many, have such a confusing loadout and when you go to the weapon selection screen, it allows you to put 2 air-to-air missiles on each pylon, one overwriting the other and wrong things like that.
      Is there a definitive loadout that I can paste in the data.ini of the aircraft and solve these errors?
    • By Menrva

View File NovaLogic Skin Pack
      NovaLogic Skin Pack
      September 13th, 2022 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
      This package includes high quality skins representing the player's aircraft from three lite flight simulators released by NovaLogic, namely F-22 Raptor in 1997, F-16 Multirole Fighter and MiG-29 Fulcrum both released in 1998. Below, a summary of the details of each skins:
      -NL_357CW, for the F-22A Raptor aircraft I released. This skin represents the fictive Raptor Squadron of the 58th TFS, 357th CW (Composite Wing), which took part in military operations in Angola, Jordan, Russia, Colombia and Iran. Serial numbers are realistic, the first being 001 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_16AESOG, for the F-16C Block 42 aircraft released by The Viper Team. It depicts the fictive Viper Squadron of the 32nd TFS, 16th AESOG (Air Expeditionary Special Operations Group), which took part in military operations in Serbia, Liberia, Congo, Burma and Somalia. I made the skin for the Block 42, since it's reminescent of the one that NovaLogic modelled. Serial numbers are semi-realistic, the first being 112 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_11EW, for the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C aircraft released by The Mirage Factory. It depicts the fictive 300 Squadron of the 7th Red Banner Guards Regiment, 11th Expeditionary Wing, which took part in military operations in the Kurile Islands, Uganda, Somalia, Burma and Tajikistan. Serial numbers are generic, the aircraft does not have any in NovaLogic's game.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -The Viper Team, for its detailed F-16 3d models and relative templates.
      -The Mirage Factory, for its good old MiG-29 3d model.
      -Sundowner, for the MiG-29 templates he made available.
      -yakarov79, for his reworked F-22 3d model and relative templates.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 09/12/2022 Category What If Skins  
    • By Menrva
      NovaLogic Skin Pack
      September 13th, 2022 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
      This package includes high quality skins representing the player's aircraft from three lite flight simulators released by NovaLogic, namely F-22 Raptor in 1997, F-16 Multirole Fighter and MiG-29 Fulcrum both released in 1998. Below, a summary of the details of each skins:
      -NL_357CW, for the F-22A Raptor aircraft I released. This skin represents the fictive Raptor Squadron of the 58th TFS, 357th CW (Composite Wing), which took part in military operations in Angola, Jordan, Russia, Colombia and Iran. Serial numbers are realistic, the first being 001 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_16AESOG, for the F-16C Block 42 aircraft released by The Viper Team. It depicts the fictive Viper Squadron of the 32nd TFS, 16th AESOG (Air Expeditionary Special Operations Group), which took part in military operations in Serbia, Liberia, Congo, Burma and Somalia. I made the skin for the Block 42, since it's reminescent of the one that NovaLogic modelled. Serial numbers are semi-realistic, the first being 112 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_11EW, for the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C aircraft released by The Mirage Factory. It depicts the fictive 300 Squadron of the 7th Red Banner Guards Regiment, 11th Expeditionary Wing, which took part in military operations in the Kurile Islands, Uganda, Somalia, Burma and Tajikistan. Serial numbers are generic, the aircraft does not have any in NovaLogic's game.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -The Viper Team, for its detailed F-16 3d models and relative templates.
      -The Mirage Factory, for its good old MiG-29 3d model.
      -Sundowner, for the MiG-29 templates he made available.
      -yakarov79, for his reworked F-22 3d model and relative templates.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
    • By GKABS

View File Kuwait Istiqlal P5702 (German FPB-57)
      Hello and thank you for downloading my work.
      https://gkabs.net
      What's included:
      Kuwait Navy Istiqlal P5702 (German FPB-57) model.
      All my files should include the Strike Fighters 2 Series game file (.LOD) and the texture required. (tested and work only for SF2)
      Installation:
      Copy files to their proper folder
      If you need any further help please read the Knowledge Base at:

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/
      LICENSE:
      You are allowed to use this model and everything included with it for personal non-profit use for Strike fighters 1 and 2. For use outside of this scope, you need to contact me for permission.
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Credit goes to the following:
      Third Wire for making this outstanding game.
      Credit goes to https://www.textures.com as I use a lot of their photos to create the skins.
      Google for some photos and information.
      And finally not to forget the wonderful site of https://combatace.com and all the nice members and their dedicated support for this game.
      Software used:
      3d Max 2009
      UVLayout v2 Pro
      Substance Painter
      Adobe Photoshop

If you need any assistance please contact me at 
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Submitter GKABS Submitted 05/16/2021 Category Patrol Craft  
    • By GKABS
      Hello and thank you for downloading my work.
      https://gkabs.net
      What's included:
      Kuwait Navy Istiqlal P5702 (German FPB-57) model.
      All my files should include the Strike Fighters 2 Series game file (.LOD) and the texture required. (tested and work only for SF2)
      Installation:
      Copy files to their proper folder
      If you need any further help please read the Knowledge Base at:

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/
      LICENSE:
      You are allowed to use this model and everything included with it for personal non-profit use for Strike fighters 1 and 2. For use outside of this scope, you need to contact me for permission.
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Credit goes to the following:
      Third Wire for making this outstanding game.
      Credit goes to https://www.textures.com as I use a lot of their photos to create the skins.
      Google for some photos and information.
      And finally not to forget the wonderful site of https://combatace.com and all the nice members and their dedicated support for this game.
      Software used:
      3d Max 2009
      UVLayout v2 Pro
      Substance Painter
      Adobe Photoshop

If you need any assistance please contact me at 
      gkabs@gkabs.net

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..