rogueranger1993

Does anyone have a copy of the SHOOT program they can lend me?

I found a cool plugin on the downloads page that allows a person to use SHOOT to give their wingman/flight/squadron radio orders using voice commands, but when I tried to download SHOOT it appears that it is no longer available. I was wondering if anyone had a copy they could send me, or if they knew a place where I could get it from.

Alternatively, does anyone know if VoiceAttack would work with SF2, and if so, do they have a command profile set up for it? I do have that, and it's readily available, but I don't know if SF2 would be compatible. I intend to pick up Track IR one of these days after finding the thread that discusses the limitations and uses, and I'd really like to streamline the radio orders process using a voice command software as well.

It is late and I am tired, but I have the final version of Shoot, and equally important: I know how to get it running correctly on Windows 7/Windows 10 PCs. If CombatAce doesn't have a problem with it, I could upload the install file and some supporting information to help others use it. It is not perfect, but if it doesn't get "confused", it works exceptionally well. If it does get "confused", you just have to stop it and start it again. What happens sometimes is some sort of memory que bug. The command executions fall behind. A command fails to execute, so you repeat it again one or more times and from then on, every time you say a new command, one of the other phrases you previously said is executed. But if you have a good mic and a clear speaking voice with little or no background noise, it doesn't do that very often if at all. I have used it with SF/SF2 in the past, but have been using it with DCS World until very recently.

I am migrating to VoiceAttack because it has a dedicated third party DCS World plugin that works exceptionally well. In some ways, I still like Shoot better, but VoiceAttack with the DCS World plugin is tied directly into the game engine giving it a lot more power and flexibility than Shoot, which can only emulate keyboard functions as opposed to accessing the game-engine's full potential. The only problem is learning the "vocabulary" of the Voice Attack plugin. Whereas I programmed Shoot to have exactly the comms I wanted with custom profiles for all of my favorite aircraft. 

• Thanks 1

I've been looking for a functional voice command app too. I had to thrown in the towel on Voicebot, but in my case the failings seemed to be related to problems with core voice recognition in my install of Win7 64 Ultimate, which Voicebot leverages. I suspected my mic for a while, but team members in online games have said my voice comes across loud and clear. It seems to be the consensus that Voice Attack is the superior voice command product. I've wanted to try it, but poor results on my PC with even just training voice recognition, has made me a skeptic. I'm curious if either Shoot or Voice Attack use some alternative to the voice recognition built into the OS?

Edited by Arrow

Ohhh yess 'Shoot' would be nice! Had it long time ago and could never find it again. Now with Win10 I don't even know if it works. If you've a copy to spare...shoot it my way ...LOL

Shoot it my way, that made me laugh.

But yeah, it'd be great to get some news on this. Also, Arrow, I don't know what voice recognition method is used by either program, so I can't really help you there. However, I do think that it can't hurt to try, right? Being a skeptic just means you're less dissapointed if it fails, at least that's my opinion.

Anyways, I'm going to try Voice Attack and see if it'll work soon. If I can figure out how to do it, and then get a working profile, I'll see about putting up for download so that others can use it too. A voice command system and a TrackIR set will make the game even more fun to play if you ask me. (NOTE: for TrackIR system, I reccommend the TrackHat company, which is based in Britain. They have several setups of varying cost that are all very reliable, and the best part is that they're half the price or less of the TrackIR brand stuff! Great equipment!)

I need to test the zip file I have made on another PC that has never had Shoot installed to make sure it works right. It is a dot net program, so it is possible an older version(s) of dot net may be required to be installed. Once I know it works on a clean Win10 PC with no issues, I will upload what I have, which has been running on Win7 64 and now Win10 64. I also have a profile editor tool that was released before the website disappeared. I never used it because I know how to edit the profiles using text editors, but if it works correctly, it may be very useful for those less inclined to cut and paste xml files. 

If my zip file works, all you will have to do is extract the file "here", which includes a Shoot 1.6.4 folder. Double click on the exe file in the folder and open a profile from the profiles folder, then you are up and running. You have a profile open in a text editor while running the program, but you have to make sure you save any changes as you go along and reopen the profile for the changes to take effect.

You can program various inputs to act as a mic button and can configure the buttons to be momentary or toggle. 

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yess.….please! That would be great!

17 hours ago, rogueranger1993 said:

...Also, Arrow, I don't know what voice recognition method is used by either program, so I can't really help you there. However, I do think that it can't hurt to try, right? Being a skeptic just means you're less dissapointed if it fails, at least that's my opinion...

Well I'm certainly not shy of trying new things when it comes to software apps. Part of my skepticism though comes from Internet posts I read when trying to get Voicebot working. Those posts claimed voice recognition was defective in some editions of Win7 and Microsoft never did manage to get it to be stable - certainly fits with my experience. I'd also read that voice recognition was much improved in Window 10, which I plan to upgrade to before the year is out. So my skepticism is probably better described as hesitation, in that I'd be better to postpone any voice command software that uses OS voice recognition until I'm running on Win10.

That Streakeagle had Shoot running on Win7 64 though, sounds promising and certainly worth a try.

Edited by Arrow

Hi just tried Voice attack free version and I've got to say it works fine for all my radio commands :)

Voice Attack is very capable and being maintained up to date with continuous patches and great support.

Shoot works fairly well, especially considering its age and the fact that it is free, but you have to deal with its principal issue: it can get behind in executing commands and the only solution is to restart the program/reload the profile. But I have used Shoot with DCS World for years with minimal issues because all it needs is a good mic and a good speaking voice to minimize the problem. 

In the case of DCS World, Voice Attack is awesome with the third party DCS World plugin. It allows you to disable the text and the pilot voice that repeats what you say, making it feel like you are really having a conversation in VR rather than a 3rd person/text chat experience.

Yeah, starter trying out voice attack free version, though I don't have a full profile up and running yet. I intend to buy the licensed version that allows unlimited profiles and unlimited commands, since it's just ten dollars. I will admit that as a total noob when it comes to using Voice Attack, I ran out of commands in the free version while trying to get voice commands for every radio option available in SF2. Oh well, not a huge deal, and like I said, it's only $10.

And Arrow, my experience has been on Windows 10, and I never experienced 7 - I jumped straight to 10 after sticking with my beloved XP for years, LOL. So, from what you've said, it would probably be best if you wait to pick up voice attack until after you upgrade to windows 10, for best functionality.

I don't know when or if it will be approved, but I have uploaded a zipped folder of my working copy of Shoot 1.6.4 including the profile editor. Just "extract here" to get a "Shoot 1.6.4" folder. You will have to make your own shortcuts for the voice command utility and the profile editor. I included all of my profiles as examples. The only ones I use are the DCS World profiles. The others are mainly default profiles. I have included my original SFP1/WoV profile. You have to edit the profiles to select your mic "key". You can toggle the mic or require the desired key(s)/button(s) to be held down while speaking. I prefer the latter.

Edited by streakeagle

Has anyone downloaded and tested it yet? I tried it on my work laptop (Win 7 64), but my work laptop already had multiple versions of .net installed to support my work applications. I can point people who need basic support to the wayback machine's record of the old support forums (where I originally documented how to keep Shoot running after WinXP and .NET 1.1 was superceded).

Edited by streakeagle

23 hours ago, streakeagle said:

Has anyone downloaded and tested it yet? I tried it on my work laptop (Win 7 64), but my work laptop already had multiple versions of .net installed to support my work applications. I can point people who need basic support to the wayback machine's record of the old support forums (where I originally documented how to keep Shoot running after WinXP and .NET 1.1 was superceded).

I tried it by loading your SFWov profile, but when I click the push-to-talk button [Caps Lock] I just get a pulsing, buzzing sound that occurs about every 2 seconds. As well, all of the menu items under Speech, with the exception of Recognizer > Profile (does correctly select my Win7 login name as the default) can't be accessed. Even using the keyboard shortcuts won't pop their dialog boxes/forms. I'm guessing there's some registry keys missing or maybe a system config file?

I did check my mic under Win7 recordings and playback is very audible and clear - matches feedback I get from online teammates. I tried setting the Shoot.exe to WinXP SP3 compatibility, but it didn't make a difference.

Edited by Arrow

I had no trouble running on my work laptop, a win 7 64 pc that had not been used for gaming. The only thing that I can think of is that my work applications probably insured the installed multiple versions of .NET. My Win10 PC was upgraded from Win 7, but it shows the .NET 3.5 framework as being installed which supports .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0. The original application was written for .NET 1.1 and it was broken when .NET 2.0 came out. .NET 2.0 came with a compatibility tool that somehow fixed the problem when you ran it on the exe. The tool may still exist within later versions  of .NET, but I haven't ever needed it all the way to Windows 10 after the initial fix to make it work with .NET 2.0.

Capslock acts as a toggle. When you first press it, there should be a sound to indicate the mic has been toggled to listen, then it should be quiet waiting for you to speak. If you hit capslock again, it should make the sound again, disable the mic, and then go silent. Try playing the wav files in the folder to make sure your PC's audio format is compatible with the format the utility is trying to use.

Have you tested you speech recognition engine to see if it recognizes what you are saying?

5 hours ago, streakeagle said:

...The only thing that I can think of is that my work applications probably insured the installed multiple versions of .NET. My Win10 PC was upgraded from Win 7, but it shows the .NET 3.5 framework as being installed which supports .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0. The original application was written for .NET 1.1 and it was broken when .NET 2.0 came out. .NET 2.0 came with a compatibility tool that somehow fixed the problem when you ran it on the exe. The tool may still exist within later versions  of .NET, but I haven't ever needed it all the way to Windows 10 after the initial fix to make it work with .NET 2.0.

I have the .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed.

.Capslock acts as a toggle. When you first press it, there should be a sound to indicate the mic has been toggled to listen, then it should be quiet waiting for you to speak. If you hit capslock again, it should make the sound again, disable the mic, and then go silent. Try playing the wav files in the folder to make sure your PC's audio format is compatible with the format the utility is trying to use.

The wave files play fine. What I'm hearing is the notrecognized.wav being repeated. It only plays once when [Capslock] is 1st pressed, but the moment I say something that notrecognized wave keeps playing in a continuous loop.

Have you tested you speech recognition engine to see if it recognizes what you are saying?

Yes, I've done fairly extensive training with the Win7 voice recognition feature and for the most part it hears my reading of the voice-training text reliably.

I don't even have .NET 1.1 installed just the 3.5 which is an option in the turn windows features on/off. The exe I provided is the one that was modified to support .NET 2.0. I have a zip file of the original unmodified 1.6.4 application and I also have a zip file of the original installer version with the setup exe. The version I have provided is the one that I have been using since Windows XP and just copying/pasting the entire folder to new PC hard drives.

One of the problems I'm having with Shoot, is that it's maxing my mic's recording level. That could be the cause of the notrecognized wave continually being triggered, as it might be picking up background noise. I have noise suppression and echo cancellation enabled, but with levels being maxed it still might be responding to some noise or interference. I believe i have .NET 1.1 on my PC because of the installation of a legacy game.

If you could post the original Shoot install, I'd be interested in installing it to see if I get better results.

Has anyone had any luck getting SHOOT to work in Windows 10..?

I am using Shoot 1.6.4 successfully with IL2 1946 and FSX on my Windows 10 computer. My Windows drive got corrupted a few weeks ago and I had to reinstall .Net Framework 1.1 in order for Shoot to work again. But no issues with it otherwise than once in a while I have to repeat my command but that probably has more to do with my microphone than Shoot itself.

Edited by WallysWorld