Sign in to follow this  
Dr.CancerMan

Returning pilot, what mods you guys recommend?

After being away from Strike Fighters 2 for a very long time, I've decided to return. So, it has been years since I last played it, which you can put it at around 6 or more years, and I would like to know which mods you guys can recommend for a returning Phantom lover, such as myself. haha! 

I don't have the North Atlantic and the two expansion packs TK released, since I can't purchase anything without an international credit card(those are absolutely difficult to get where I live). Paypal doesn't allow the use of national credit card on international purchases. I guess that is a logical approach, considering the amount of fraud the country I live in is known for. The 4 SF titles that I own were bought when I lived in the UK, back then the North Atlantic and the expansion packs weren't available. 

Sadly, convincing TK to go to Steam or GoG so I could purchase the sim is as difficult herding cats, then those mods suggestions should be limited to: 
Strike Fighters 2
Strike Fighters: Israel
Strike Fighters: Vietnam
Strike Fighters: Europe

Myself...I just browse the downloads sections and download what I like look of as I go down the lists..

Apparently SF2 and all the expansion packs can be downloaded for free all legal and above board, I can't remember the name of the site but I saw it on a SF2 video on Youtube, it wasn't a torrent site or anything dodgy like that.

48 minutes ago, GunnySonics said:

Apparently SF2 and all the expansion packs can be downloaded for free all legal and above board, I can't remember the name of the site but I saw it on a SF2 video on Youtube, it wasn't a torrent site or anything dodgy like that.

No, those free download links are all illegal. Please buy the strike fighters games from the official thirdwire store!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mue said:

No, those free download links are all illegal. Please buy the strike fighters games from the official thirdwire store!

My bad I understood it had become Freeware according to the video, I purchased mine about 7 years ago so assumed Thirdwire had discontinued any support/sales.

3w has (sort of) discontinued support, in the fact nothing new or expanded will be released. Outside of the 'mobile games'.

OTH, TK has put together an "all is one" package for 100 USD (approx) that is all 5 game, both expansions, and all 29 DLCs. I know you said in the first post that were issues with international ordering, but it might be worth investigating further. Simply put, a disproportinate number of all SF2 mods require a full 5 merged install with SF2NA. NA is most assuredly required for those aftermarket terrains that are "Naval Maps" (for carrier operations - no matter what anyone else says, its been proven - not all the CVBG coding is in the the other 4)

And, also, we do NOT discuss pirate sites. Ever. I know you've been away for a while, but there's been some issue with that in the last few years, and those that espoused it have been removed (which I know YOU'D never do!! :smile:)

And welcome back! 

(any terrain with my name on it is one to get -- shameless plug)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wrench said:

3w has (sort of) discontinued support, in the fact nothing new or expanded will be released. Outside of the 'mobile games'.

look on the bright side, its stable for modding. if TK released a DLC with air to air refueling tomorrow, there would be 10 minutes of songs of praise and dancing in the streets, followed by 10 days of "it broke my mods" and "i coulda done it better"

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

look on the bright side, its stable for modding. if TK released a DLC with air to air refueling tomorrow, there would be 10 minutes of songs of praise and dancing in the streets, followed by 10 days of "it broke my mods" and "i coulda done it better"

This is why im of the opinion we pull this game apart and re write code....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not being able to purchase North Atlantic is indeed a shame, as IMO it changes the game via nautical ops the most for the better. Since you have Euro, the mod I'd recommend most is the NATO Fighters 5 campaign. It's large, comes in 7 different archives and clocks in at about 2.5 GB, but it adds so much quality and quantity to the Euro theater that it's worth every bit the effort.  Kudos to all the modders here who put in the effort to create it.  :good:

Edited by Arrow

Just now, Arrow said:

Not being able to purchase North Atlantic is indeed a shame, as IMO it changes the game via nautical ops the most for the better. Since you have Euro, the mod I'd recommend most is the NATO Fighters 5 campaign. It's large, comes in 7 different archives and clocks in at about 2.5 GB, but it adds so much quality and quantity to the Euro theater that it's worth every bit the effort.  Kudos to all the modders here who put in the effort to create it.

Be aware that over the years modders updated stuff that was originally in NATO Fighters. And then Original NATO Fighters was nut much updated recently. So whole mega pack might be nice start...but still, updates have more to offer. 

Going back to Dr.CancerMan question....

16 hours ago, Dr.CancerMan said:

and I would like to know which mods you guys can recommend for a returning Phantom lover, such as myself

Just browse through download section. Pick what you like and enjoy. If you are Rhino guy for sure Vietnam War expansion mods. 

Personally I never install whole mod pack. Usually, I am building my mod game by adding one by one mod from the download section. Selected top-notch mods into a desired theater of operations. It is more time consuming but it allows me to have extremely clean mod folders with weapons, aircraft, ground objects, etc. that need to be in specific "area of operations".

• Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, yakarov79 said:

Be aware that over the years modders updated stuff that was originally in NATO Fighters. And then Original NATO Fighters was nut much updated recently. So whole mega pack might be nice start...but still, updates have more to offer. 

Going back to Dr.CancerMan question....

Just browse through download section. Pick what you like and enjoy. If you are Rhino guy for sure Vietnam War expansion mods. 

Personally I never install whole mod pack. Usually, I am building my mod game by adding one by one mod from the download section. Selected top-notch mods into a desired theater of operations. It is more time consuming but it allows me to have extremely clean mod folders with weapons, aircraft, ground objects, etc. that need to be in specific "area of operations".

Thanks! I was hoping to cut down on the amount of downloads with those mega packs. hahaha I did download the Veitnam War expansion mods. Haven't had the time to fly it yet (I'm building a small table for my Warthog joystick so I can easily put it away when not in use)
Any must have mods that got released recently? 

Just now, Dr.CancerMan said:

I was hoping to cut down on the amount of downloads with those mega packs

Well, I guess you are not in 'a hurry' with the game. In the end, it is just a game. There is no need to download all mods from CA in one day or even in a few months. You can take your time. It is not a matter download or die...

I did not complete any of game mods yet... My Iran-Iraq is under construction for 4 years. Israel - 7, Vietnam - 6. And it is still not done yet...I don't need to have everything..I want everything that is worth playing.  Quality instead of quantity. 

Depends on your preferences..

But I guess few new aircrafts (and updates) were uploaded in recent 2 years. Tornados...Canberras, perhaps Meteors .

New and updated terrains.  

Just go to the download section and see what is there. 

• Like 1

I was hoping to cut down on the amount of downloads with those mega packs

Well, I guess you are not in 'a hurry' with the game. In the end, it is just a game. There is no need to download all mods from CA in one day or even in a few months. You can take your time. It is not a matter download or die...

I did not complete any of game mods yet... My Iran-Iraq is under construction for 4 years. Israel - 7, Vietnam - 6. And it is still not done yet...I don't need to have everything..I want everything that is worth playing.  Quality instead of quantity. 

But I guess few new aircrafts (and updates) were uploaded in recent 2 years. Tornados...Canberras, perhaps Meteors .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yakarov79 said:

Yep, got a bit overwhelmed with the options, kinda like a fat kid in a candy store! *I want ... that one, and that one, and the other one, Ooohhhh and this one and the other one!! *

Will check those out, as I'm more into F86 Sabre and up planes, with special interest on the Phantom. 

Thanks for the suggestion!