JosefK

Aviationist: These Images Show A Texas ANG’s F-16C Wearing A Slightly Modified “Have Glass V” Paint Scheme

F-16-darker-color-scheme.jpg?resize=678%2C381&ssl=1

From the article:

The U.S. Air Force has just released an interesting series of shots of an F-16 from the 149th Fighter Wing, Texas Air National Guard out of the Iowa Air National Guard Paint Facility in Sioux City with what is said to be “a new, darker single color paint scheme […] that eliminates the older two-tone grey as the standard paint scheme for F-16’s in the U.S. Air Force.”

Indeed, the aircraft seems to show the Have Glass V, or “Have Glass 5th generation” paint, i.e. the evolution of the standard Have Glass program that saw all the F-16s receiving a two-tone grey color scheme made with a special radar-absorbing paint capable to reduce the aircraft Radar Cross Section. Indeed, all “Vipers” are covered with RAM (Radar Absorbent Material) made of microscopic metal grains that can degrade the radar signature of the aircraft. The Have Glass V is the latest version of the special paint, somehow similart to the one of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that has been applied to U.S. F-16s since at least 2012 when it started to appear on the F-16CM (formerly CJ) Block 50 Fighting Falcon aircraft.

MORE at the link.  But posting hoping to see some F-16 repaints out of this please...

• Like 1

Also 

Many Squadrons, including the 64th AGRS (Aggressor Squadron) at Nellis Air Force Base, the South Dakota ANG 175th Fighter Squadron and 85th TES at Eglin AFB, Florida, fly or have flown Vipers painted with the new darker color scheme. However, it’s worth noticing a slight variant in the latest aircraft from the Texas ANG: while all the other Have Glass V we have seen thus far have a radome painted in “normal” F-16 paint and color, the 149th FW’s Viper seems to have a darker radome. Moreover, unlike all the others, the two-letter tail code, serial number and squadron markings are black in color, instead of light grey.

He has got that wrong....the radome is not painted on operational F-16s but coated in a material that works with Radar...........and they are all different shades depending on their age usually. In fact they have "Do Not Paint" written on it when you see it up close.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MigBuster said:

the radome is not painted on operational F-16s but coated in a material that works with Radar...........and they are all different shades depending on their age usually.

Exactly. The same can be said about the F-22A Raptor's nose. While working on this aircraft add-on, I was puzzled to see that the nose of the Raptor looked different on various photos. In the end, I concluded that old Raptors have a darker nose, while newer ones still show a lighter shade.

• Like 1

Yup, if I recall correctly the 57th Aggressor Wing had to hunt around to get black radome for "Wraith" the black F-16 aggressor jet.  My photo from Aviation Nation 2019, obviously before the black radome got mounted:

5ddf3a123a950_INSTAGRAM_of_WRAITHINBURNERHEADINGOUT.thumb.jpg.cf74544c011097a795f996f232136fe5.jpg

Edited by JosefK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Viper63a

View File ODS Warbirds: F-16 Fighting Falcon ODS30 Squadrons
      SF2 F-16 Fighting Falcon ODS30 Squadrons
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      This pack contains the F-16 Fighting Falcon aircrafts from Operation Desert Storm. Contains accurate ODS livery, nose art and serial numbers. This is just a sample of what you will find in the expansive "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" pack. 
      !! DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD into the "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" pack. That pack already has these aircrafts tuned specially for the pack.  
      * Sources: 
      https://dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-16.html
      http://www.f-16.net/units_airforce183.html
      * Included Jets: 
      F-16A Falcon Block 10
      F-16C Falcon Block 25
      F-16C Falcon Block 30
      F-16C Falcon Block 40
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      1) Copy the contents of the "To_Mod_Folder" folder into your mod folder and over-write if required.
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add F16 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      3) Check, ensure (or update) all the squadrons in this pack is in your "SQUADRONLIST.INI" file. Once you look at that file, you will know what to do. 
      * Please note that some squadrons may have multiple CO planes, this is not a mistake. Rather than just picking one CO, I am respresenting all the COs for that squardon during the period. So both COs could pop up in given scenario. I rather have them than cut them so...it's only a game...
      * Tweaked and Tested by the ODS30 team!
      * Mod Direction and Optimization - Menrva
      * Additional Data and Weapons improvements - Yakarov79\Viper63a.
      * Additional Sound tweaks and updates - Guuruu.
      * Accurate Skins and Decals - Viper63a\Coupi
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      ---------------------
      * Please see the "~Original Readme" folder for original credits and previous contributors. All credit goes to those who came before me. Without them, this pack would not be possible. 
      Submitter Viper63a Submitted 06/28/2021 Category F-16  
    • By Viper63a

View File ODS Warbirds: A-10A Thunderbolt II (TW Version)
      SF2 A-10A (TW Stock Version) with Authentic ODS Livery and Serials
      By Viper63a
      This pack contains all A-10As serving in Operation Desert Storm with authentic serial numbers. Nose art and other details are my best effort, so it may be off - but it's damn close.
      When we started the ODS 30 project, we wanted to use the stock A-10A Thunderbolts. As I finished the stock A-10A, we decided to switch to Spectre's A-10As...So, the stock A-10A mod was scrapped. Alot of work into this stock version, so I decided to release it as is...
      ~~DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD INTO ODS 3.0. THAT PACKAGE COMES WITH A VERSION OF A-10A DESIGNED AND CONFIGURED FOR  THE ODS PACKAGE!
      Source: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-10.html
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      1) Copy the contents of the "To_Mod_Folder" folder into your mod folder and over-write if required.
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add A-10 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      3) Check, ensure (or update) all the squadrons in this pack is in your "SQUADRONLIST.INI" file. Once you look at that file, you will know what to do. 
      * Please note that some squadrons have multiple CO planes, this is not a mistake. Rather than just picking one CO, I am representing all the COs for that squadron during the period. I may be off on this, so let me know if I have to correct something. 
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      Edit: Fixed some typos in the details and this pop back up to the top...Sorry about that...nothing new...just a typo fix..LOL...
      Submitter Viper63a Submitted 06/28/2021 Category A-10  
    • By Viper63a
      SF2 A-10A (TW Stock Version) with Authentic ODS Livery and Serials
      By Viper63a
      This pack contains all A-10As serving in Operation Desert Storm with authentic serial numbers. Nose art and other details are my best effort, so it may be off - but it's damn close.
      When we started the ODS 30 project, we wanted to use the stock A-10A Thunderbolts. As I finished the stock A-10A, we decided to switch to Spectre's A-10As...So, the stock A-10A mod was scrapped. Alot of work into this stock version, so I decided to release it as is...
      ~~DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD INTO ODS 3.0. THAT PACKAGE COMES WITH A VERSION OF A-10A DESIGNED AND CONFIGURED FOR  THE ODS PACKAGE!
      Source: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-10.html
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add A-10 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      * Please note that some squadrons have multiple CO planes, this is not a mistake. Rather than just picking one CO, I am representing all the COs for that squadron during the period. I may be off on this, so let me know if I have to correct something. 
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      Edit: Fixed some typos in the details and this pop back up to the top...Sorry about that...nothing new...just a typo fix..LOL...
    • By Viper63a
      SF2 F-16 Fighting Falcon ODS30 Squadrons
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      This pack contains the F-16 Fighting Falcon aircrafts from Operation Desert Storm. Contains accurate ODS livery, nose art and serial numbers. This is just a sample of what you will find in the expansive "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" pack. 
      !! DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD into the "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" pack. That pack already has these aircrafts tuned specially for the pack.  
      * Sources: 
      https://dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-16.html
      http://www.f-16.net/units_airforce183.html
      * Included Jets: 
      F-16A Falcon Block 10
      F-16C Falcon Block 25
      F-16C Falcon Block 30
      F-16C Falcon Block 40
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add F16 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      * Please note that some squadrons may have multiple CO planes, this is not a mistake. Rather than just picking one CO, I am respresenting all the COs for that squardon during the period. So both COs could pop up in given scenario. I rather have them than cut them so...it's only a game...
      * Tweaked and Tested by the ODS30 team!
      * Mod Direction and Optimization - Menrva
      * Additional Data and Weapons improvements - Yakarov79\Viper63a.
      * Additional Sound tweaks and updates - Guuruu.
      * Accurate Skins and Decals - Viper63a\Coupi
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      ---------------------
      * Please see the "~Original Readme" folder for original credits and previous contributors. All credit goes to those who came before me. Without them, this pack would not be possible. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..