Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have been having a hard time spotting missiles in-game and I was wondering what is the best way to spot them?

I found this while searching the forum

How to make missile trailer bigger and longer? 

with a link to a mod but I keep getting Not Found error.

I found the link to the mod but my question could I use it for SF2?

 

 

Edited by GKABS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enhanced SAM trails effect indeed improves the stock effect but still lacks the sustainer exhaust fumes. At least in my SAM mods (SA-3, SA-6, SA-7 and SA-14) I use a pretty realistic effect which will make SAMs visible from a long distance. Avoiding these SAMs is an another subject.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tiopilotos said:

Enhanced SAM trails effect indeed improves the stock effect but still lacks the sustainer exhaust fumes. At least in my SAM mods (SA-3, SA-6, SA-7 and SA-14) I use a pretty realistic effect which will make SAMs visible from a long distance. Avoiding these SAMs is an another subject.

Thanks tiopilotos, I will download the file.  But I was thinking for a general fix for all AAM SAM for the game. 

Furthermore what would be the best practice to spot the missile and avoiding them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Furthermore what would be the best practice to spot the missile and avoiding them?

1, Dont fly a slow a\c

2, Mk1 Eyeball

3, Parachute.

:lol:

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually pray while jinking and drop flares or chaff, though most often that doesn't seem to work, though I do my best to avoid getting locked on too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I usually pray while jinking and drop flares or chaff, though most often that doesn't seem to work, though I do my best to avoid getting locked on too.

Yeah, trying to break radar/missile lock in this game seems to be a largely hit or miss affair.  After multiple attempts, I can never get replicable results.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PFunk said:

Yeah, trying to break radar/missile lock in this game seems to be a largely hit or miss affair.  After multiple attempts, I can never get replicable results.  

Neither can I unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Neither can I unfortunately

It's still more approachable than DCS in some respects.  Does a better job of modeling a semi-dynamic battlespace, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does that's for sure, as I had to update my RWR list so I know what is out there. At least in DCS you get to practice against SAMs through the mission editor. It can be done in SF2 if you can make a custom mission work for you. I've done that for the SA-10 many moons ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It does that's for sure, as I had to update my RWR list so I know what is out there. At least in DCS you get to practice against SAMs through the mission editor. It can be done in SF2 if you can make a custom mission work for you. I've done that for the SA-10 many moons ago.

I'm really curious to know if TK is serious about moving forward with an update.  I know the Kickstarter failed to reach its goal, but I believe his wisdom was that even if it didn't reach the goal, he was still considering updating it for modern graphics cards.   That would be an especially nice love note to the community that supported him for so many years.

Beyond that, I think it's little much to hope for avionics .dll files or AI subroutines to be updated to allow for modern theatres.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PFunk said:

I'm really curious to know if TK is serious about moving forward with an update.  I know the Kickstarter failed to reach its goal, but I believe his wisdom was that even if it didn't reach the goal, he was still considering updating it for modern graphics cards.   That would be an especially nice love note to the community that supported him for so many years.

Beyond that, I think it's little much to hope for avionics .dll files or AI subroutines to be updated to allow for modern theatres.  

From what I gathered from the email that was sent out that he was going to work on a patch for the game. I don't think the game has had a problem for modern SAM systems, unless you're talking about ability to shoot down bombs or missiles or whatnot. It is what it is and I think it's pretty lethal so far without AI tweaking. I think it's good enough personally to not require any tweaking, it works for me with the current code. But then again any tweaking or improvement is welcomed for SAM systems, such as multiple engagement of targets to make them more lethal I can see and I'm sure what you mean.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the AAMs in the various weapon packs need another data revision.

I have AIM-120's which speed along at Mach 7.4 .. :blink:

Avoiding missiles,  turning to move the threat to the 3-9 line seems to work OK, and firing chaff/flares if available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..