Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

Monitor Upgrade - Any Point?

I was just wondering if there's any point in upgrading my monitor from 27" (1920 x 1080p) to perhaps a 28"/32" 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160p?

Don't focus on the screensize - focus on the resolution. Does the game even support it?

Meant to add that my graphics card is NVIDEA GeForce GTX1050.

Edited by Spinners

streaming shows would look real good (and other things ... wink wink, nudge nudge)

• Haha 3

Well I have a system built around a Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core with 32 gig of ram , an RTX 2080ti card with 12 gig of vid ram , a 34 inch curved screen Asus PG348Q , and it works beautifully , and looks beautiful too , so yes I would say its worth it !!! 

Just waiting for the win 10 update of SF 2 ....better be bloody well worth it !! 

Edited by trotski00
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Spinners said:

I was just wondering if there's any point in upgrading my monitor from 27" (1920 x 1080p) to perhaps a 28"/32" 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160p?

Don't focus on the screensize - focus on the resolution. Does the game even support it?

Meant to add that my graphics card is NVIDEA GeForce GTX1050.

1080p is still really good - the only thing I can say with certainty is that 4K needs more resource to run - thus with that low end card I would be concerned you may be disappointed with the performance when running the game.

• Like 1

I have to agree with MIG Buster - I'm not sure how well a 1050 will handle 4K SF2. 

My 1080TI won't run SF2 at permanent 60FPS on 2,560x1,440, with graphics maxed. Especially on hefty terrains. 

That said, if you're trying to future proof & upgrade your monitor before getting a new GPU / PC in a year or two, a 2K or 4K monitor isn't a bad idea.

It's rather frustrating how unoptimised SF2 is - it'd be great if the Win 10 version uses modern PC resources better. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I needed to free up a monitor for somewhere else in the home so I went for the safe 'middle-ground' option of a 2k monitor (2560 x 1440) and it's all working fine. 

RAF%20LIGHTNING%20F2.01_zpsl6ome5va.jpg

• Like 2

I used to run a three 1200xsomthing monitor rig, I loved it. Then I ran a 55in 4k Sony TV (in 1080p mode when gaming) due my moving and losing my game room. That was pretty awesome as well. I had to dial back the contrast and brightness (alot) as it was burning my eyes out sitting so close to screen. Then, due to complaints about my hogging the TV, I went out and bought 42in Samsung 1080p series 5 TV on sale for $180...not the Sony Bravia or computer monitor quality, but it does the job well and it doesn't feel like the Samsung is out to blind me.  

My goal is to go back to a three wide screen monitor set at some point. 32in, 1080p, running at min 60fps..the concern is if my 1080TI can handle that...

Go big, Go Fast and/or Go Home!

20200502_001540.jpg

Edited by viper63a
Added lower rez pix
  • Like 1