Sign in to follow this  
Geary

Do any of you skinners/artists use a ...

Do any of you skinners/artists use a drawing tablet, such as a Wacom tablet, to paint your planes?

If so, what are your pros and cons for your tablet model and what would you suggest to fix your problems.

What kind of setup do you have, ie.. Windows or Mac, etc...

TIA,

Geary

I've used a tablet before (forgot, think it was a Wacom) and found it a different way to do texture work, but I do most of my stuff on mouse now. Pros for me was it was another way to do skinning (didn't do much but it worked out fine), mainly weathering. Cons it was a USB tablet so it took up a USB slot on my laptop. Other con is you might lose the pen (had some velcro put on it to attach it to the tablet). But that was years ago. I don't say it's a bad investment, just that I was capable using my trackball mouse better.

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I've used a tablet before (forgot, think it was a Wacom) and found it a different way to do texture work, but I do most of my stuff on mouse now. Pros for me was it was another way to do skinning (didn't do much but it worked out fine), mainly weathering. Cons it was a USB tablet so it took up a USB slot on my laptop. Other con is you might lose the pen (had some velcro put on it to attach it to the tablet). But that was years ago. I don't say it's a bad investment, just that I was capable using my trackball mouse better.

I also bought a Wacom board many years ago.  Played with it a bit.  Found it very foreign to use and eventually just packed it away.  Think it's still languishing in a closet somewhere.  I don't think it will work with Windows 10. 

• Like 1

It might but then again you're probably better off finding updated software or getting a new one.

1 hour ago, Geary said:

I also bought a Wacom board many years ago.  Played with it a bit.  Found it very foreign to use and eventually just packed it away.  Think it's still languishing in a closet somewhere.  I don't think it will work with Windows 10. 

Exactly the same for me, although mine works for W10.

Pro:

- You can draw stuff with different thickness by changing the pressure of the pen (No equivalent when using a mouse).

Con:

- I guess you need to invest some time to get used to it. It just works very different from a mouse.

- The pen works (of course) different from a real pen...you have to click a button on the pen to actually draw. Don't know, if there are other methods out there, but that behaviour makes it somehow difficult to use for me, if you'd like to draw accurate.

It still has some uses, but I'm still a mouse-user.

A really good pc , is what I use myself, plus I find it more practical to use to be honest, tried various pads and different tools track bals etc, but I keep coming back to pc keyboard and mouse, I guess its what one is most used to in the long run.

i tried an app on my android tablet that would allow me to mirror my pc screen back when i actively used PS (im just a poor GIMP user now).

worked okay, i was just a different style of doing things, and then  somethings like selection i used the mouse anyhow.

rebooted the tablet, and never added that software back on. to me it just seemed not that big an improvement. the biggest bit with that set up was curved parts of camos, where you can draw in the more natural sense and see what you are doing by your hand rather than on the other screen. but im fairly ok with using mouse now.

although dammit,  now you got me wondering if i can reload that app on my newer tablet to see how it goes now :lol:

Like most of you have said or intimated, guess it's what you are used to or prefer.

The trouble I had with the tablet and pen before might have been my lack of hand drawing/painting skills.

I think the tablet has some capabilities that might be worth exploring.  If I go the tablet route I'll probably use a blend of both tablet and mouse/keyboard actions.

Got a demonstration set up with my nephew to show me a mac and ipad pro set up he uses.

Thanks for your experiences and opinions.

• Like 1