rjw

Wish List for WOFF BH&H II

26 minutes ago, Polovski said:

There is already a button in QC, and Quick Scenario screen for pilot never dies. So just make yourself a checklist to remember to tick it.  OR if you always forget do what I said and set to Easy then go turn it off before you fly campaign -  at least this way if you forget to turn it off again, no harm is done.

My problem is that I always forget to tick it in the OC or Quick Scenario :)

5 minutes ago, jeanba said:

My problem is that I always forget to tick it in the OC or Quick Scenario :)

Then consequences should make you remember ;) !  Or do the other option I said, then it doesn't matter if you forget to turn it off before you fly in campaign.  Better still make a QC only pilot.

I doubt we will be adding in more options there tbh.

Part of the whole ethos of WOFF and WOTR is that your pilot matters greatly, and it's dangerous to fly.  You need to take care of his "one" life.  However we added the option to never die in Workshop, and optionally in QC/QS too.   Or fly as we intended with those not enabled, so it's dangerous and makes you care about your pilot a lot.  Once upon a time we did not even have pilot never dies option in QC or QS as we didn't believe in it.  

Edited by Polovski

Indeed, I have a different approach, which I inherited from other games (1946, SF2 ...):

When playing career campaigns, I love "dead is dead" because this is the center of interest of a campaign : keep your pilot alive. The experience is not only in flying one mission, but also how you are chaining several missions.

Usually, I play quick combat for technical reaons : check if FPS is ok, check key assignation, check if a mod is correctly installed => once I have the information I need, I quit the game, that's why I need "pilot never dies". The risk is that I encounter a "problem" during career, switch directly to "quick combat", quit over ennemy territory => "pilot dies", and then I have to go back to character creation again (or "quit and restart", which may take more time than the mission itself (even going to workshop ... takes some time I feel wasted in this context)

For simple mission, I think the interest is not to "be alive" but to discover the mission as the designer created it. In "1946" for instance, there are some historical missions that are hard to survive and they are "single". There is no interest in chaining sevral missions.

Of course that is how we intended WOFF to be.  Dangerous, even in QC.   The point I am trying to make, is if you cannot remember ever, then set pilot never dies in workshop, then when your pilot dies in Campaign, and you are allowed to continue, then don't!  He's dead, you know he is as the sim told you before it let you carry on.

Or make a specific pilot "QC TEST PILOT" and only allow yourself to use him when you need to go to QC to test something.

If you put it in your head that "If my pilot dies, it's terrible"  before you fly each time you should remember ;).

Edited by Polovski

I understand, this is not my favorite way of playing, but I need to accept it.

Another suggestion about campaigns would be the possibility when you die or are prisonner to "play as repalcement pilot":

The character you create (of the same nationality of course) would be start the campaign in the same unit and "replace" the next replacement pilot, continuing the history of the squadron and its surviing members (if you recreate a pilot at the same date as you die, the squadron history is unlikely to be the same)

So, it is still "dead is dead", but you can as a player continue the campaign in an immersive and realistic way.

Hi Jeanba, that one is already in.  Under your deceased pilot in Pilot Dossier, click "Re-Enlist" !

• Thanks 1

deleted

Edited by jeanba

2 hours ago, Polovski said:

Hi Jeanba, that one is already in.  Under your deceased pilot in Pilot Dossier, click "Re-Enlist" !

Great

Not sure I've ever posted in the Wish List thread before but two items came to mind... they are a bit gamey but might be enjoyable / useful. These would also apply to WOTR as well.

1) It would be amazing to be able to save a mission mid-flight. Now that I'm older and RL is increasingly chaotic, I've had to abandon more missions than I can count due to needing to take care of something. A mid-sortie save would be incredibly helpful, or barring that, a way to abort a mission.
2) It would be great if we could listen to Matt's beautiful soundtrack mid-flight. I know it's not super realistic and I do enjoy making my flights as challenging as possible, but the atmosphere he adds is too good to pass up.

Cheers guys!

One thing I wish this sim had but its probably not possible due to the old code limitations is that "physics" feeling of flight" and less of the sliding feel which I think was leftover from the MSCFS  coding .

I also always find myself having to constantly apply a lot of rudder input just to stay on target and hit planes because of how the flight model works.

This game beats every other WW1 out there, even current tech ones in terms of the campaign. Length of war, realism, amount of flyables and just about everything. But it could really use a flight model upgrade. That said, it does not stop me from liking the sim an playing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

100% agree with Witchy. The AI and SP experience blows all other WW1 sims out of the water. I think a partnership with the IL-2:BoX team would make sense to use the Digital Warfare Engine. They already have commercial arrangements with Team Fusion for CloD and a new group of community members building a Finnish map. They're also not focused on WW1 with a lot of complaints currently around SP and the awful AI. I'm in touch with some of the 1C dev and beta test team if there's interest.

In terms of new content, I would love to see the SPAD XII-Canon added, and would happily donate cash and data to support. I've been working with historians such as David Mechin, Martin Schulz, and Jon Guttman recently on pulling together information on the type with a view to publishing some point in the future. It is woefully under appreciated given that at least 120 were ordered (see my post here for the photo from the French archives), that it served for over a year receiving the 220hp upgrade, was issued to most of the top French aces with a dozen or so having confirmed kills, and was the future weapon configuration for many WW2 birds. Most of Fonck's final kills were in his XII, making him an ace in the type.

Given that the Dr1 was never built or used in numbers to other German types, I wonder whether the Red Baron mystique is the reason that the plane of French aces is so often forgotten as a niche plane. Madon even had a bright red one.

My wish is for a slightly more graphically accurate and detailed Sopwith Camel. By that I mean most of the other Sopwith's in the sim have both pitot tubes and propeller driven air pumps modelled but the Camel does not. Also, the instrument panel could use some rework. The oil pressure gauge should be an air pressure gauge, there should be a clock/watch under the airspeed indicator, and the bubble slip indicator should be mounted under the compass.

zzbi.thumb.jpg.7e73ded0da06030689e9b7a5a84d7f89.jpgSopwith_Camel_Instrument_Panel.thumb.jpg.b1664ff91b1c6a69833c01387d6100e6.jpg

• Thanks 1

I guess I didn't read the last update for the Belgian expansion in regards to the Camel very well:

"Improvements and tweaks to various aircraft models such as the Sopwith Camel, Nieuport 10, 11, 16, 17, 23, RAF BE2c, RE8, Caudron G.IV, SPAD VII, SPAD XIII, Sopwith Strutter A2, Breguet 14. The revamp includes 3D model updates, some of which are quite significant, such as the Camel External and Virtual Cockpit models."

Sorry, my bad and thank you in advance.

• Thanks 1

I would like to have a notification that one of my flieger has left the formation.  Perhaps using the same notification system as when I issue commands to the flight (e.g. S, L)  I don't even need the man's name, just a heads up that  "Alb.D.Va(#8502) has left the formation" similar to the way the review mission debrief works.  

Most distressing to look back and see only 3 aircraft where there were once 5 

18 hours ago, epower said:

I would like to have a notification that one of my flieger has left the formation.  Perhaps using the same notification system as when I issue commands to the flight (e.g. S, L)  I don't even need the man's name, just a heads up that  "Alb.D.Va(#8502) has left the formation" similar to the way the review mission debrief works.  

That's how it was though, we like that :)

On 23/06/2023 at 9:12 PM, CaptSopwith said:

Not sure I've ever posted in the Wish List thread before but two items came to mind... they are a bit gamey but might be enjoyable / useful. These would also apply to WOTR as well.

1) It would be amazing to be able to save a mission mid-flight. Now that I'm older and RL is increasingly chaotic, I've had to abandon more missions than I can count due to needing to take care of something. A mid-sortie save would be incredibly helpful, or barring that, a way to abort a mission.
2) It would be great if we could listen to Matt's beautiful soundtrack mid-flight. I know it's not super realistic and I do enjoy making my flights as challenging as possible, but the atmosphere he adds is too good to pass up.

Cheers guys!

Interesting ideas, 1) if you can leave the PC on pause can work for a while works, but if you have to shut down yeah not good.   I remember in the odl days there was a hardware tool that could "freeze" the PC andf it's memory and continue can't rem what it was called though.
On 2) you can play the WAV files manually with media player or other music player, then start WOFF and disable the music in the workshops perhaps.

Edited by Polovski

On 2/15/2024 at 5:09 AM, Polovski said:
On 2/14/2024 at 11:06 AM, epower said:

That's how it was though, we like that :)

I must dig up the exact primary source references but IIRC, and I do,  verbiage to the effect that Pilot XXXX "made the dud engine signal and flew off," does appear in a number of accounts.  But hey, if it's intentional then so be it.   War is a dangerous place, and I appreciate a turn for the nefarious.  :vampire: