Nesher

2 Different incidents involving F-15s

I read the following! Looks like a burn through on one of the convergent or divergent segments. NOT a good thing, a lot of stuff get fried!

E6Lm2KWXoA0xFUQ.jpg

The Iron Dome incident shows, that the american made Friend and Foe systems still have problems to work properly. Its not new. Its known since Vietnam war. You'd think they'd had enough time to sort out the problem.

5 hours ago, Gepard said:

The Iron Dome incident shows, that the american made Friend and Foe systems still have problems to work properly. Its not new. Its known since Vietnam war. You'd think they'd had enough time to sort out the problem.

Too little margin of error. They might have the fighters and the SAMs integrated via datalink, but have lag, more so if there is a lot of EM noise around, or have interrogators in each targeting radar, but they could take a while to hail the fighter, have the fighter IFF recognize the call, answer, and discern it over different echoes, since there could be rockets in the air at the same time, with a lot of automation involved. Could be that Iron Dome was not designed to work in a tactical environment with friendlies on flight, but then they could hit airliners even more easily. Either way, i guess most of the electronics involved in this would be Israeli. 

@macelena, the Al-Jazeera tower that was downed, had anti-GPS and (I assume) other electronic countermeasures which tried to interfere with IDF's operations... that's why it got knocked down.. so in today's fights, I won't be so sure that we make out all the electronics in the area 😅

In any case, since there are a lot of assets in a very small area, errors are bound to happen... unfortunately in the previous conflict, we had a few blue on blue fire which resulted in several KIAs and casualties

3 hours ago, Nesher said:

@macelena, the Al-Jazeera tower that was downed, had anti-GPS and (I assume) other electronic countermeasures which tried to interfere with IDF's operations... that's why it got knocked down.. so in today's fights, I won't be so sure that we make out all the electronics in the area 😅

In any case, since there are a lot of assets in a very small area, errors are bound to happen... unfortunately in the previous conflict, we had a few blue on blue fire which resulted in several KIAs and casualties

I meant the electronics used by the IDF for IFF, I kind of refered to Hamas EW, among other things, when i mentioned the noise in the evironment

Edited by macelena