macelena

Anti-Radiation missiles from bomb bays?

I was trying to load AGM-78s on a B-47B to make a ridiculous SAC WW and purge clean the EM spectrum above Hanoi. I made it flyable until 1972, added the ARM entry to the corresponding line and had to switch the lenght limit by more than a meter,  now the missiles appear in the loadout inventory but it won't load either Shrikes nor Standards, setting the station to EXTERNAL works, but of course, only allows 1 missile to be carried. Before I make 28 separate "external" stations, is there anything else you can do?

• Like 1

I'd love to see the results if you can get things going. The closest i've ever gotten to something like this in WOV was a Flight of EA-6As loaded with Shrikes.  Between the AI birds ECM and erratic flight paths and random Magnum calls, things were sure pretty interesting to say the least.

I guess you haven't tried the SEAD version of the B-58 I did, like 10 years ago. Based off the #6 ship from "FailSafe" (movie and book). They're externally mounted anti-radar missiles (4 of them), with a special (weapon) touch. I'll see if I can't find the link again ... it's been a (quite) a while.

As to your ARM armed Stratojet ... my suggestion is to clone the original bay/hardpoints for ARMs only. See if that works. A hell of a lot easier than screwing around with the 'main' bay. Also, by default, iirc, 32 is max number of "carrying items" for any single station

or just add anti radiation seeker to AGM-69. seeing as that is what they were for originally anyways.  MAGNUM!!!!

in all seriousness tho, look at the latest examples of the B-52G (my SAC Twighlight mod or the new ODS). i couldnt tell you off top of my head how it got there (Yakarov79 is the real genius behind it), but a look at it should give you some answers. missiles , reg bombs, cluster bombs and nukes. all nice and seperated so youre not doing arcade loadouts but plenty of internal missiles (eight inside, 12 on pylons iirc, plus 4 free fall buckets of sunshine)

Found it...

it's a mod of Pasko's 1stGen Hustler

Tried to do with the "cloned" bomb bay, but it just greyed out. Had to clean up a bit the SSD, will try something else. I'll try reverse-engineering Kevin's B-52s. 

Actually, I downloaded that B-58 for other ludicrous SAC in Nam ideas. Gave it TER on these stations, not very practical, had to make them only load outside to avoid clipping the tank so it only carried 16, but it was fun to be honest. WW Hustler looks better honestly than what I was trying to. 

Does the weapons editor still work for the SF2 series?

...because if so, wouldn't it just be a matter of creating a copy of the weapon, then firing up the editor and editing these two entries to operate from a bomb bay? Lets assume the weapons bay is long enough and wide enough to house the missile, all you'd have to is:

-ensure the aircraft's weapon station can load the ARM.
-give the ARM a release delay of a couple of seconds so after launch, it'll clear the bay before the rocket motor kicks in.
-Make sure the 'use missile rail' checkbox is left unchecked.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything, but I'm pretty sure this is what I did to be able to launch ARMs from internal Vulcan and Victor bomb bays (pretty sure I did the same to a B-47 to fire mavericks as part of a massive CAS test), back in the day, again assuming the editor still functions.

ARMs.jpg

if you have the SF2 weapon's editor, yes. it works

Really? Can you have a word with my machine then? I've tried being reasonable, I've tried threats, but nada...

It doesn't look pretty but you could see that comingimg00154.thumb.JPG.a10dc55891a54611965038334921080b.JPG

They fire OK

img00155.thumb.JPG.61cf49704f7adc213d62ccf69bce8ad7.JPG

Those three, each looking for a different radar. 

img00156.thumb.JPG.e60f71778c015e11e56df28211c10f38.JPG

I think it would look better if i rearranged the attachment points so it looks like some kind of  WW conversion, carrying a few fewer missiles. Either way, I think the missile load is likely to be more expensive than the plane at this point.

The culprit seemed to be the absurd amount of them they carry. The base quantity was 2, switched it to 999, and now i can load 25 (instead of the 28, i guess weight or something)

It still looks a bit crowded

img00157.thumb.JPG.9bb41ffebe1b2c3275aa188fad24bb0e.JPG

Tried with the over the top version, lobbing stuff in the general direction of every ping that came up on RWR, which ended up still pretty lit up, but not as much as usually. 

img00158.thumb.JPG.5425fffe2dec88d6ddf08567ba7af09a.JPG