Sign in to follow this  
citizen67

Nearly impossible to locate the target in "HUD Hard Settings"

Hi everybody,

I have been playing SF2 in Hard mode except HUD settings for years, now I have decided to improve my skills, but it is very very difficult to me to locate the target on the ground... Hardened shelters, oil tanks, bridges and buildings are quite easy to see at the end, but when I have to attack a SCUD launcher or fly CAS missions against tanks or infantry, things become a real difficult.

Have you guys some tips or tricks to me to follow?

Thank you all.

I use the padlock feature and guided bombs or Mavericks to help me find targets.

• Like 1

Sure, me too when I play on modern theater. But my favorite scenario is Vietnam, flying F-4s, F-5s or A-4s. It's a real nightmare to spot targets...

Well, the padlock feature isn't era-specific and is probably the only way to orient yourself to the target. I mean when I fight WVR I use padlock all the time to keep oriented on the enemy fighter. I use it to orient me to the ground target and so on.

I padlock the target then press F4 to stare at it, the only issue is on SEAD missions since you don't have as much of a clue if the target is meant to be a primary or not. 

Be sure to use Mue's distance fix to increase visual distance as well. 

This is another secret feature from TW. Get real as possible. 

Next time you will be on a plane try to catch some spots - and keep an eye on them for a while...

Guess real pilots did not have an easy job after all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/9/2021 at 6:08 AM, KJakker said:

Be sure to use Mue's distance fix to increase visual distance as well. 

Are you talking about this?

re

IIRC some of the YAP CAS missions were set with the VC/NVA units emitting coloured smoke to simulate them being marked by the the US troops they  were in contact with. You could then make your attack run on the smoke rather than trying to find the individual bad guys hiding in the trees.  

On 9/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, citizen67 said:

Are you talking about this?

re

That too but no. I am talking about this.

15 hours ago, KJakker said:

That too but no. I am talking about this.

Thanks.

I don't want to sound arsy, but you're better off with the red box in medium settings. A real pilot would have better resolution with the MK.1 eyeball in the real world than you'll get in a computer game at 1920x1080.

Plus, a real pilot would have been studying recon photos until he had the expected view in his head before he took off.

Kudos to you for doing things the hard way. Standing up in a hammock springs to mind. Did I say that? Oops.