alexis99

What will be next in cockpits?

On 2/13/2023 at 8:03 AM, alexis99 said:

This is my favourite cockpit

It's an F-35A Helmet display.

The design of the RWR is slightly modified from Eric J's Superhornet

In fairness the external model is fine for the F-35 in the downloads, but the cockpit itself needs a complete rework IMHO

I would like a cockpit for the Viggen AJ37 (very different from JA37 anyway) and for the Vautour

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jeanba said:

I would like a cockpit for the Viggen AJ37 (very different from JA37 anyway) and for the Vautour

Have you seen ...my post in this thread ?:biggrin: I suggest you to take a look. After seeing it, I'm sure you'll think different and, of course, you will suddenly forget about a Viggen cockpit.

• Dislike 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:46 PM, EricJ said:

In fairness the external model is fine for the F-35 in the downloads, but the cockpit itself needs a complete rework IMHO

I did rework it myself. But naturally I couldn't add things that belong in the real cockpit which SF2 does not support. Eventually I got so fed up with  it that I decided I'd go for the Helmet HUD. I did the same for the EF2000. That cockpit is beautiful, but you have to zoom out too wide to see the MFDs, and much of the fine detail just jiggles when the cockpit moves. So Helmet HUD it is.

I don't know about the flight model, because that's one of the few aircraft for which I don't have a pilot's manual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alexis99 said:

I did rework it myself. But naturally I couldn't add things that belong in the real cockpit which SF2 does not support. Eventually I got so fed up with  it that I decided I'd go for the Helmet HUD. I did the same for the EF2000. That cockpit is beautiful, but you have to zoom out too wide to see the MFDs, and much of the fine detail just jiggles when the cockpit moves. So Helmet HUD it is.

I don't know about the flight model, because that's one of the few aircraft for which I don't have a pilot's manual.

Fair enough I guess, but I don't fly it enough to really care anymore in all honesty. I flew it for a little bit, but in a high threat environment I wouldn't use it.

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

Fair enough I guess, but I don't fly it enough to really care anymore in all honesty. I flew it for a little bit, but in a high threat environment I wouldn't use it.

Well it is not stealthy for starters. But no aircraft in SF2 is stealthy when it is up against another aircraft. Air to air combat is down to who has the longest range missiles. The RCS entry in the aircraft DataFile just decides how likely SAMs and Triple-A are likely to shoot at you and hit you.

That's why I keep returning to the A-6. Moving mud is more honest than loading up with the longest range AMRAAM you can lay your hands on.

And that's why I really stopped being interested in the F-14. You plough grooves in the sky until the enemy aircraft show up on your radar. You shootlist them for four Phoenix at 100 miles, and you launch four missiles, one after the other. After  a while the enemy aircraft blow up and you get to land on the carrier (The most exciting part)

4 hours ago, alexis99 said:

Well it is not stealthy for starters. But no aircraft in SF2 is stealthy when it is up against another aircraft. Air to air combat is down to who has the longest range missiles. The RCS entry in the aircraft DataFile just decides how likely SAMs and Triple-A are likely to shoot at you and hit you.

That's why I keep returning to the A-6. Moving mud is more honest than loading up with the longest range AMRAAM you can lay your hands on.

And that's why I really stopped being interested in the F-14. You plough grooves in the sky until the enemy aircraft show up on your radar. You shootlist them for four Phoenix at 100 miles, and you launch four missiles, one after the other. After  a while the enemy aircraft blow up and you get to land on the carrier (The most exciting part)

Stealth really isn't the reason, or the lack of stealth, but I got killed by an Su-27 that snuck up on me and shot me down. I mean if the RWR was functioning properly I would have not been hit like that. But yeah I guess the Tomcat has it's charms to some people. I flew it around a bit (TMF and stock) and never really got that much interested in it. I like flying strike missions a lot so that's a reason why I fly the Super Hornet compared to other aircraft. It's a bit of a lemon yes, but I can get to most places fine with it. I've also flown the A-6E and enjoyed it as well, nice plane for Cold War era flying.

Edited by EricJ

Thanks, it was a good thing to work on with the team and all too. They did most of the work, I just did the textures and so on.

I like how pits are modeled in the vanilla game. Front pit is modeled fine, you have working instrumentation and proper 3D pit. Sides, where all the engine, radio, etc management are just flat 2D texture. It's not as pretty as fully modeled pit, but since this stuff is non-functional this is fine. Saves some time on modelling I reckon, I wonder how many time people spent on modelling the sides of the pit

2 hours ago, OlWilly said:

I wonder how many time people spent on modelling the sides of the pit

I.

When you will start modeling then you will know how it works. Start with the front panel and then..suddenly you want to do every single screw and switch. And believe me from point of view person who made one or two pits. This is the best part of aircraft modeling. Countless hours spent over the manuals and bazylion pictures for reference - this is fun, educational fun. The only comparable part of modeling is researching serial numbers - the second thing that we love to do.  The ultimate lesson of history.

And in the end, after all the hard work you put in you will feel absolutely fulfilled. Even if many users do not give a damn if a switch is in the right position (or if there is a switch at all). Even if it is hard to see appreciation from the end users. (a very common thing for the last few years). Still, we going to do 'the thing' our way. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

researching serial numbers - the second thing that we love to do.  The ultimate lesson of history.

but supremely frustrating when you find 21 serials for one squadron, and 14 for the sister squadron in a wing.  and youve already spent 10 days on Google and bought a couple magazines on eBay :lol:

rewarding when you get it. but frustrating while on the journey

• Like 4

The cockpit that we have for the Sea Harrier its very outdated.
A new one would be nice!

torno should be working on a Sea Harrier, I'm sure that it's a new build cockpit I saw in there Espanol forum

• Like 2