Sign in to follow this  
clim995

how to stop deleted base game aircraft objects from reappearing?

i have a strike fighters 2 modded modern-day install (i like to keep separate from the previous jet eras) but for some reason, the old base game cold war jets sometimes re-appear and i have to manually re-delete everything. it's happened quite a few times and honestly a bit annoying, is there a way to avoid this?

I don't think it's possible as I run a modern install and they rarely show up. I think you're just going to have to deal with it.

• Like 1

like we do for the WW2 installs, leave one of each type "modern" birds. I use the A-4E and Mig-21MF. So far (15+ years) the others haven't repopulated

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I don't think it's possible as I run a modern install and they rarely show up. I think you're just going to have to deal with it.

oh well, they happen rarely enough but when they do it's quite annoying. as long as the whole settings and stuff is largely untouched, i suppose i could live with it. thanks a lot Eric!

Edited by clim995

1 minute ago, clim995 said:

oh well, they happen rarely enough but when they do it's quite annoying. as long as the whole settings and stuff is largely untouched, i suppose i could live with it. thanks a lot!

Sometimes I don't mind fighting the old birds as they rack up kills for me. Only when more modern jets come out do I worry. And no problem

Edited by EricJ
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wrench said:

like we do for the WW2 installs, leave one of each type "modern" birds. I use the A-4E and Mig-21MF. So far (15+ years) the others haven't repopulated

that sounds clever as hell. you might've just saved me a lot of headache. thanks, wrench!

• Like 1

Just now, EricJ said:

Sometimes I don't mind fighting the old birds as they rack up kills for me. Only when more modern jets come out do I worry.

shooting F-4s and MiGs with 21st-century BVRAAMs feels awfully like shooting an old, senile person in a retirement home lol but yeah, kills are kills. all is fair in love and war.

Just now, clim995 said:

shooting F-4s and MiGs with 21st-century BVRAAMs feels awfully like shooting an old, senile person in a retirement home lol but yeah, kills are kills. all is fair in love and war.

Lol true, but it is what it is. Most of the time though it's no threats. Then  again I haven't flown a combat mission in ages so there's that too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clim995 said:

i have a strike fighters 2 modded modern-day install (i like to keep separate from the previous jet eras) but for some reason, the old base game cold war jets sometimes re-appear and i have to manually re-delete everything. it's happened quite a few times and honestly a bit annoying, is there a way to avoid this?

I've been there if it's what I think it is. If you have a modded plane (even if just its skin is changed) and the plane HAS the default one (stock) NAME , game will write over it after a time (it will rewrite the default files in all the folder and delete what you had there, made by you). If that's the case this is the workaround which worked for me: CHANGE the name of the plane and the default one leave it alone, forget about it for good. Example: Shahak (default name of the folder) first copy it and then change its name to something similar (Shahak_V1 or whatever), then change accordingly everything that must be changed as syntax in its folder's interior., presumely you know your way around making some "beginner's level" modding. There is another workaround but you have to know a thing or two about modding (modding advance level). Change the LOD of the plane so this way, the plane will be ...different and the default routine won't interfere with it. In example I gave you above, I have two Shahak 3D model and i changed the LOD for the default one, and the default LOD I copied over the Shahak_71 one. I've never been bothered ever since by that oddity.

• Like 1

This happens only after ofisial updates or instaling oficial DLC or changing Version.ini file or serious damage modfolder folders structure. Or if you move your folder with the game and start it from new lokation the game overwrite default aircrafts. If you take attantion to this it will never happens again. My modfolder has been around for ages without this problem and I don't use any of the above tricks. As a last resort, select the airplane folder and set read-only attributes to the entire folder

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, UllyB said:

I've been there if it's what I think it is. If you have a modded plane (even if just its skin is changed) and the plane HAS the default one (stock) NAME , game will write over it after a time (it will rewrite the default files in all the folder and delete what you had there, made by you). If that's the case this is the workaround which worked for me: CHANGE the name of the plane and the default one leave it alone, forget about it for good. Example: Shahak (default name of the folder) first copy it and then change its name to something similar (Shahak_V1 or whatever), then change accordingly everything that must be changed as syntax in its folder's interior., presumely you know your way around making some "beginner's level" modding. There is another workaround but you have to know a thing or two about modding (modding advance level). Change the LOD of the plane so this way, the plane will be ...different and the default routine won't interfere with it. In example I gave you above, I have two Shahak 3D model and i changed the LOD for the default one, and the default LOD I copied over the Shahak_71 one. I've never been bothered ever since by that oddity.

in this case, i guess it was my modded Tu-22M3 that messed the install up, as there is a TW Tu-22M3.

8 minutes ago, bazillius said:

This happens only after ofisial updates or instaling oficial DLC or changing Version.ini file or serious damage modfolder folders structure. Or if you move your folder with the game and start it from new lokation the game overwrite default aircrafts. If you take attantion to this it will never happens again. My modfolder has been around for ages without this problem and I don't use any of the above tricks. As a last resort, select the airplane folder and set read-only attributes to the entire folder

yes i notice this only happens when i am adding new planes or modifying stuff frequently, my nato fighters 5 install that i do not mod very much is still pretty much okay.

Edited by clim995

If you set the ini file of the plane, lets say F-4E.ini, to write protected, the game cant overwrite you changes or modded planes.