Sign in to follow this  
Nightshade/PR

As A Reminder......

As a reminder to back up your stuff: With no warning, the MB on my latest computer purchased in July with all the latest toys, failed yesterday. There were multiple fault indicator lights, no power to any of the components or ports, won't post (boot), and every troubleshooting technique was a no-go. Explaining the situation to tech support garnered the phrase "Yeah, it's dead, but since it's under warranty, send it back & we'll replace it." Luckily, I had just completed a backup on Thursday morning.

Once More as a reminder: "Back Up Your Files."

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Yup, the beginning of a new month is ALWAYS my backup time.

• Like 1

so im going to guess no double checkin a couple new Bone skins right now :lol:

• Haha 1

My hard drive lasted 9 years. I don’t mean it was bought 9 years ago, but I mean it worked for 9 years. I never backed up anything. But one day I noticed that when I deleted a file, the computer froze for a few seconds. This alarmed me. because it was unusual. I checked the hard drive for bad sectors with the VictoriaHDD537 program under Windows XP. it found several bad sectors. After that, the hard drive worked for about another month and again, when copying, the computer froze for a few seconds. I checked again. But this time there were already about a hundred bad sectors. And again I worked on this hard drive for a month or more. And again the computer froze. I decided it was time to do a back-up! I took the disk out of the computer and connected it via an adapter to the USB port and started copying. I copied for several hours. And at that very minute, as the last file was copied, my old friend stopped. My friend's engine stopped forever. All files were rewritten, not a single one was lost. That was WD HDD. RIP my friend. I can't throw it away. it's still in my desk drawer. Good eternal dreams, my friend. I hope you're in hard drive heaven.

• Like 2

One question: which software to you use to backup your ffiles ?

I used syncback, which checks whether there are any changes or new files in the original install before copying them to the backup-system. But this takes ages, since I have to backup dcs, il-2 box, FSX and Sf2-stuff.

any hint will be welcomed ;-)

thx,

sinzov

2 hours ago, Sokol said:

which software to you use to backup your ffiles ?

I used Copy\Paste software. :biggrin: It is cheap and fast!

hahaha, sorry for this useless answer. you were probably hoping for a smarter answer. I don't know about DCS but iL-2 and SF2 is portable. any version is. There is a special program for FSX and FS2004. It's called a register fixer. And they become portable too. I don't know if this program is legal or hacker. Now I can’t check it because I don’t have these games installed.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

so im going to guess no double checkin a couple new Bone skins right now :lol:

Smart A$$:biggrin:

Not for awhile now. Between travel time both ways @ repair time in betwixt,  I'm probably out of commission for the next month. I can keep up with events on my tablet,  but that's about all. 

• Like 1

that sucks.

but hey, the Mountain Home birds wont be public for a while. that entire band is getting released :biggrin:

the OZ coded nuke birds on the other hand will be waiting for ya

back on topic, just moved the recent tanker work off main HD and onto the backup...

Edited by daddyairplanes

My external back up drive died last month. Luckily still had quite a lot on DVD.

So I would say back up your backup as well!

I use Acronis. iirc, it came with my WD externals. It can also be downloaded from Western Digital (iirc!!!)

Hear you brotha, thats whiy I use a utility t c heck the hard drive integrity. But I do backups more often anyway, I use hard drive sentinel or similar.

Edited by dsawan

I routinely back up when I feel like it mostly. The External is an SSD so hopefully it'll last a good long while. I figure in a few years or so I'll get a new external just to keep it going. But when I was deployed I had Vista, and that routinely failed, and when you're downrange it's not that easy. After that I swore to external hard drives and haven't looked back