Sign in to follow this  
Dave

LOOK LOOK LOOK LOOK LOOK LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

WOW!!! that is so sweet!

Guest Ranger332

img00044j.jpg

img00046j.jpg

Time frame to be released? Unknown.

Am I skinning it? You bet your sweet ass I am. I got so many skins already lined up it will make you sick.

Will it rule the skies? Well... you better get me BVR becuase if you don't.... you're dead.

Check Six baby,......that guy in your rear view mirror, is me in the Sader and I brought 4 Colts with me and I ain't in the mood to talk.

When you are out of F-8's, you're out of fighters.

ABOVE QUOTED FROM

USAFMTL

Member # 5503

My thought on the sader it was one hell of a gun platform,and bought time for the Phantomes to get guns mounted

For a gun platform it only got 1 mig with its gun the rest with Winders.

Sweet....and it's the convertible version....WOW

The credit goes to Pedro Alvim. This is his masterpiece. I am just lucky enough to be advising him where I can. Thanks Pedro

For a gun platform it only got 1 mig with its gun the rest with Winders.

however No one can take away the fact that till the tomcat came around it WAS the last pure dogfighter the naval and marine aviation had..and besides they did sport neat paint jobs..definetly did...sigh,oh yeah the days when our birds claimed loud and clear,here we is,what you gonna do about it?......it and the sluff made sure you kept your head up and locked while around them...

My favorite story is of a ARVN Col and a Marine Col where having an arguement about the fate of a bridge. The ARVN Col wanted to blow it, the Marines wanted to use it. THh ARVN Col threatened to use Arty on the Marines. Just then 2 Marine F-8''s flew over loaded for CAS. The Marine Col them looked that the ARVN Col and said. " I see your 105's (Howitzers) and raise two F-8's." Needless to say the bridge was not blown.

Guest Ranger332

good link site

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djohnson/

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-8.htm

The F-8E(FN) carrier-based interceptors of the French Navy, the last remaining operational Crusaders, will be replaced at the end of 1999 by the new Rafale-M. As of 1994 20 of the carrier-based Crusaders remained from the 42 initially delivered.

you said one was a gun kill ?

Marr then bounced two MiG-17s, scoring hits on one with cannon fire until his cannons jammed due to an electrical fault. He decided to head for home. He was so excited that when he touched down the first time on the USS HANCOCK, he discovered that he hadn't extended his tailhook. He had to come back around and try again, this time landing successfully to be greeted by a wild celebration. Nobody gave him trouble over the landing gaffe.

The Crusaders were at low altitude and low on fuel when they were bounced themselves by MiG-17s. Lieutenant Gene Chancey hit a MiG with cannon fire at close range during the mixup, tearing off his opponent's wing. However, the MiGs also scored hits on the Crusader piloted by Chancey's flight leader, Lieutenant Commander Cole Black, and Black was forced to eject. and pinned the Silver Star, the customary prize for killing a MiG, on Bellinger's shirt. In the early part of the war, the Crusader was clearly the top dog. The Crusader was designed for the air-superiority mission, and its pilots had been trained as dogfighters, while the Phantom was a big fighter-bomber and its pilots had been largely trained for intercept missionsIn principle, the Crusader also had the advantage of having gun armament, while early Phantoms did not have built-in cannon. However, even though Vietnam would prove that the capabilities of US AAMs had been grossly overrated

http://www.vectorsite.net/avcrus2.html#m1

f8twoinfl.jpg

gota lov this shot

Yeah scoring hits is one thing shooting down is another. I have every site bookmarked about the Crusader and own every book made about it. If there is a picture on the net, I have it. I just love this plane. My next big purchase will be some of the flight manuals. Not much need for them but will be greeat to my F-8 collection. Here is an article I wrote for Avsim.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0602/f-8/f8.htm

Here is a most excellent F-8 site as Ranger mentioned.

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djohnson/

Here is 2 I have painted for FS2K2

sdar1.jpg

F-8E

sdar2.jpg

RF-8G

Guest Ranger332

nice the top one looks like a model,and those were confermed kills they listed,note they did list all the problems that the guns on the sader had multi jams,ejector probs,and g effects caused meny a jam(maybe should had taken the name from the M-16 "jamming jenny",but the sader pilots did love thier guns inspite of the fact they dident always work,and they had very limited ammo(one fix was to make a switch that allowed only two guns to fire reduced that rate of fire but incressed the leangth of time firing

Yahoo!

I've loved the F-8 since I used it in USNF '97 to kill MiG-17s and the like; On Yankee Station made me think all the more highly of it. I've still got the old Monogram model kicking around my home somewheres, hoping for a restoration. It was the F-8E/J that introduced me to that lethal weapon of death, the AIM-9B.

:D

Anyways, I'm eagerly hoping for the Crusader to come in. Hooray!

USAFMTL, I have something you don't have! 8) :D

I have pics of the very first Crusader, the XF8, which is currently being restored near my house at Everret Museum of Flight Restoration site. I have pics and movies of it as of last week, and they are deep into work on a Cutlass also. One of my faves is the Vampire that they have there in pieces.

E mail me and Maybe I can send you the Movies. I have a 56k, and if they are too big of files, I can burn a CD and send it. If you want all the movies I took last week we will have to do that.

Reach me at Hedu@cnw.com

I reported to NATC Patuxent River, MD in April of 1973. At that time, the North Site Maintenance Division of the base had one F-8 Crusader. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic on Egress systems. My supervisor was AME1 E.J. Ditlovson. Both he, and another member of the shop, AME1 Nelson, hated working on F-8s, and I soon found out why. There are two trunion bolts that hold the Crusader's Martin-Baker ejection seat in the aircraft. Mainly the bottom bolt was the problem. There is minimal clearance to get any type of socket tool to fit on the bolt. In fact, we had to shave a socket in order to get one to attach. There was virtually no way to remove that bolt without losing some skin. Both bolts had to be torqued to quite a few foot pounds, using a 90 degree elbow and two extensions.

I recall that whenever a seat removal was scheduled for the F-8, that tempers would flare in the shop.

All Navy aircraft from the Vietnam era had beautiful paint schemes. I remember that the Corrosion Control workecenter of my squadron (VA-15 Valions) had the task of repainting the aircraft as part of 40 Day inspections. The aircraft tail was the most time-consuming of all. You can see by the pictureI attached how much time was involved.

Some time in the late 80s, I think, the Navy went to a tactical gray scheme for all Navy aircraft. The CO's plane was allowed to have some color on the tail, but that was all.

Chief Ward