My take on the Aurora Spyplane, a Liquid fueled rocket plane with a Scramjet for high speed flight.

Not sure if it's possible, but I'm going to try to learn how to build a functioning SFP aircraft out of this thing.

The mesh is almost complete, so I'm just going to try and stumble around trying to get the damn thing flying.

Will probably just be rocket powered at first, and I'll try and make the scramjet work later.

-Adam

You know, after years of believing that this didn't exist, that it was just a codename for cancelled classified UAV known as Tier 3 (that was replaced by Global Hawk), I learned just yesterday it did!

How? I talked with someone who worked on it. :grin: He worked at Tonopah in the 80s, worked with the F-117, the B-2, the captured MiGs, and numerous test planes that never saw the light of day. Now, he didn't say the thing ever flew, but he did say they tested the engine for it on the back of an SR-71.

When I mentioned that many promising programs were killed during the 1st Bush and early Clinton administrations for cost reasons and the feeling that "satellites can do it", he said "Yeah, pretty much."

So, I think the bottom line is this plane likely never flew, at least not operationally, but it was in development.

Remember those famous pictures in AvWeek of the "shock diamond" contrails? I bet that was the SR-71 w/Aurora engine on its back testing!

I'd say somewhere around 50 meters or so. I sized the ejection seats to roughly the same size, and scaled up from the F-16.

She's a big girl

The cockpit window is very small, but there's plenty of room in there. More like a space capsule than an aircraft.

-A

Edited by Klavs81

I'd guess it would be a bit bigger than the SR-71 it was to replace.

nice kite :smile:

Edited by Crusader

lol that's going to be interesting to fly regardless....

OMG! I cant believe my fantasy of fly the SR-90 Aurora is on the horizon! Keep up the good work and I hope you get the flight dynamics right because this thing will be a blast to fly! And I do believe that this aircraft not only flew! But that it still does fly! According to some very reliable sources!

Another engine was also tested in the same fashion using dynamic compression to hold the flame front and control the exhaust expansion. Simalar to the Aerospike engines that came out of the NASP program. And yet a third confgiuration was also developed. In any case the plan was to use F-100 cores to provide takeoff power and inital igniton to the "Second Stage"cruise portion of the propulsion systems.

oh wow!!!

i thought only ace combat 3 had this plane, and it might not exist in reality....

this kite goes mach 6?

Talon bites the dust(when this thing flies.... in thirdwire...)

It goes fast, but like the SR-71 it measures its turn radius in nations, not feet. Start your turn over Canada, finish over Mexico... :grin:

Do you have any updates on this was looking for this bird and some 3 views to create it on my own but I see you are almost finished with this ...

:biggrin: YES!!! I tried my hand at modeling this but couldnt figure out the whole "movement" thing...mine is gmax format and up here...also I have some three-views and data if anyone wants em...

I guess "these reliable sources" have never heard of a non-disclosure statement.

I'm pretty sure he did, and Jedi Master knows what to say and what not to say as well and his sources.

Today's myth is tomorrow's reality.

Anyone can speculate, cue X-Files theme music...

...damn, where did I put my tinfoil hat. You know, the big spiky one!

Today's myth is tomorrow's reality.

Anyone can speculate, cue X-Files theme music...

...damn, where did I put my tinfoil hat. You know, the big spiky one!

I think Madona borrowed it for one of her bras :biggrin:

Well, fortoutiously, I noticed my NDA on this one has an expiration date! :biggrin:

So I can release this pic. Honestly, I completely forgot about this one, but I imagine it would take fairly little to get it into the engine, it's mostly good to go already.

Perhaps I'll use it as a way to try and learn the import process, but I'm still working hard on the 35.

Cheers!

Edited by Klavs81

I love it...

It's got that "Star Destroyer" feel to it.

I heard somewhere that AURORA is not only a recon aircraft. It can make STRIKE mission to. What do Yo think about it?

havent seen this plane talked about since i was playing Janes Fighters Anthology. they had it in there as a hidden aircraft.

Yeah I need to go so fast that the skin peels off my face.